Darth Beyer Mods
Mar 27, 2011 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pbandstefanwich

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I just bought some Darth Beyers off the FS forums, and just got them in earlier this week. Upon first listen, something sounded slightly off with the bass between L and R channel, and there was a sort of rattle in the R channel, like the driver was loose. So, I opened them up and it turns out that there was different amounts of damping material between the two cups (not going to mention what the material was here, that's part of Larrys trade secret I'm guessing) and it felt like the driver was, in fact, slightly loose. Upon inspecting the rim of the driver, I noticed that there was a little bit of what looked like blu-tak on one side. I'm guessing the blu-tak is what Larry uses to ensure the driver does not rattle. I'm guessing these Darths have been opened by one of the previous owners, so the blu-tak was somewhat worn out and wasn't holding the driver in very securely.
Has anyone else opened their Darths before? If so, could you tell me where the blu-tak was on yours, if there was any? I noticed the blu-tak was right next to one of the ports on mine. I'm wondering if one of the previous owners stuck blu-tak in to block the port, and it was never supposed to be there in the first place, or if the blu-tak is meant to slightly cover some of the port. I've also noticed there are some notches in the bottom of the driver rim, but there is nowhere they have to fit into on the headphone cups. Does it matter which way the drivers are turned when putting them back into the cups? I wouldn't think this would be big deal, except that the notches are at the same height as one of the ports, so I was wondering if they had to align, and the blu-tak further aided in keeping this position.
I have tried to reveal as little about what Larry does to the inside of the Darths as possible, but if I have revealed too much please let me know and/or have one of the mods delete this post.

Mar 27, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 3
yeah, cotton balls and blutack are rocket science...noone must know....evar
leced.gif

ditch all that amateurish stuff, and try the Akasa acoustic damping foam?

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
yeah, cotton balls and blutack are rocket science...noone must know....evar
leced.gif

ditch all that amateurish stuff, and try the Akasa acoustic damping foam?

Haha I also got a giggle when i first opened the cup to see what was inside. Simple, but it works i suppose! Yes, I was actually thinking about changing the damping out with something else, but I didn't know what. I'll have to look into that foam stuff! Also, anyone tried dynamat like in the Markl mods? Only thing I'm worried about is damping the bass. The bass can be wild and out of control, but that's why I bought these! It's perfect for some music, and great for movies. They're not neutral cans by any means, but I appreciate them for what they are. Do you think other types of foam or dynamat would damp the bass too much?
Also, anyone know if the orientation of the driver matters when putting it back into the shell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back