Darkvoice just released 332
Feb 5, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #1,817 of 1,892
I've had my DV for 2.5 months now, and yesterday something strange occurred - the bass-heavy sound on my HD595 suddenly disappeared.

The amp has gone through at least 500 hours of burn-in before this. With every tube combination (Uly 6S19P-V/Mullard CV4010, Uly 6S19P-V/WE 403B, Svet 6S19P/LM Ericsson 403B), the bass has always been very powerful (which I did not particularly like). Note that every pair of tubes has had at least 100 hours of burn-in.

The powerful bass has always been distinct to me, as the HD595 are themselves quite bass anemic. MaLoS also pointed out the powerful bass on his HD595 when he amped it when the DV, and suggested it might be an impedance mismatch.

Now the sound out of my DV with my HD595 sounds similar to that of my Zero and HD595.

Has my amp stopped working???!?

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #1,818 of 1,892
Hi guys,

I'm totally confused after trying to read up about tube rolling the 332. Can someone give me a crash course on:

1st: What tubes are used in the 332?
2nd: What tubes should I use to reduce sibilance?
3rd: Where can I go to learn more about tubes in general?
Last: Where can I get the recommended tubes?

Now if some kind soul can give me a hand, I'll be really really really grateful. I'm tired of cringing every time the singer comes in with a "SSSS".

Thanks!

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #1,819 of 1,892
bump!

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #1,820 of 1,892
The Darkvoice 332 is a bit older, but reading through this forum and Godkin's review of the darkvoice 3322 you can find both the type of tube, and tube recommendations. Hope this helps

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #1,821 of 1,892
Here' some notes I took a while ago.

"6J1 x 2
6C19 x 2
The MULLARD M8100s are very good valves. If you can't get your hands on another pair, look for other members of the same tube family - the CV4010 and EF95. The CV4010 is the better of the two - "CV" stands for Common Valve, a British military system of classification - and is basically the same as the M8100 only in military guise. Also experiment with the US tubes: 5654/6AK5Ws from the likes of RCA, TUNG-SOL and SYLVANIA, or the 403As or 403Bs from WESTERN ELECTRIC; the latter is especially good.
Ericsson 403Bs/5591s

If you like that "liquidity" to your sound, the best choices would be something like the SVETLANA 6S19Ps with the MULLARD EF95s or the better spec M8100s and CV4010s. The TUNG-SOL 6AK5Ws are also a great sounding tube as are the RAYTHEON CK5654s.
600smile.gif

I am using same combo of tube as U: WE 403Bs and the SVETLANA 6S19P with HD650...like it so much. Now searching for LM Erricson 403B as a forumer said is more superior."

Apr 27, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #1,822 of 1,892
^I've followed your recommendation and got myself a pair of SVETLANA 6S19Ps and LM Erricson 403B. However, after switching to them there is a audible hum when nothing is playing and during quiet bits. The volume of the hum does not change when I turn up the volume. I still use the original "spring dampers". Is this normal? How can I get rid of it.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #1,823 of 1,892
And... if you want an open, airy, detailed sound with the rich bass and mids of the M8100s, try the Ulynovsks (6C19 equivalents). I think that combo was my favorite.

Though the Svetlanas with the M8100s or Tung-Sols were great also.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #1,824 of 1,892
I have not tried the headphones you have listed, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

When I first got my DV332 (now sold), I installed NOS Svets and WE403Bs. I had the same hum that you described in my HD650s. Drove me crazy.

I tried (not in order):
- isolating my amp from the DAC and Airport Express
- putting foil under the amp as it rested above the other components (trying to minimize any RF interference)
- cheater (3-prong to 2-prong) plug
- GENTLY (!!!) pulling the pins out a bit on the tubes with some needle-nose pliers
- GENTLY (!!!) cleaning the prongs with a small piece of steel wool
- with and without the stock tube covers
- Herbie's tube dampers

Eventually, I swapped two new sets of Svets (I ordered a bunch) and new WE403Bs (ordered new set from a different vendor). After installing the four new tubes, adding the Herbies and cheater plug, and burning in for a day, there was blessed silence.

I could have taken the time to plug back in the old tubes one at a time to determine which was the culprit. I could have removed the dampers and/or plug, to check as well. But when I achieved silence, I forgot all about the scientific method and never altered the setup again (until I sold it recently).

I would suggest troubleshooting in this order:
1- burn in 24 hours or more
2- cheater plug
3- GENTLY (!!!) flaring out the prongs a bit
4- new tubes
5- dampers

Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^I've followed your recommendation and got myself a pair of SVETLANA 6S19Ps and LM Erricson 403B. However, after switching to them there is a audible hum when nothing is playing of during quiet bits. The volume of the hum does not change when I turn up the volume. I still use the original "spring dampers". Is this normal? How can I get rid of it.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #1,825 of 1,892
^Thanks. I'll try burning them in first.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #1,826 of 1,892
I remember my Ericsson 403B's needed some time before the hum went away. Also, you might want to check how they sit in the sockets. I had to have one of my tubes in one particular position because of the sockets used on the 332.

The LM Ericssons are nice tubes =)

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #1,827 of 1,892
Ok. I'm definitely going to hunt for more tubes. My darkvoice finally sounds like a proper tube amp. Lush and non-fatiguing while without placing the vocals behind a veil. But it's not doing and favors for my predominately muddy speakers. I've got to start tweaking again.

After 8 straight hours of on time, the hum seems to be gone but I'm not sure what will happen after it cools down.

Thanks to everyone that helped!

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #1,828 of 1,892
Actually, upon closer listening, the hum is still present but it's so soft I wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't pay attention. Still, I'm worried if it's a faulty tube(s) that is causing the problem. Will faulty tubes spoil the amp?

May 27, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #1,829 of 1,892
Where did you guys get Svets tube from? Russia/Ukraine? How long did it take?
I'm in Australia and a month ago I bought pair of Svets from Ukraine seller, they are yet to land on my DV332 until today.

Seller has excellent feedback, so I suppose Ukraine post office sucks. Is that correct?

Cheers.

May 27, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #1,830 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by [benz] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you guys get Svets tube from? Russia/Ukraine? How long did it take?
I'm in Australia and a month ago I bought pair of Svets from Ukraine seller, they are yet to land on my DV332 until today.

Seller has excellent feedback, so I suppose Ukraine post office sucks. Is that correct?

Cheers.

Yes...

It took about 3 weeks to the USA, as I recall.

I think I've purchased from 2-3 vendors there - without any issues.

But... a month sounds a bit long.

I guess I'd email the seller and find out when he shipped them, and if they had any tracking number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back