Darkvoice just released 332
Feb 27, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #1,082 of 1,892
Must have been a typo. jasmine_chine's counter offer was the standard price reported by others in this thread. Oh well... worth a shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI... Seems like the price dropped on the DV 332.

jasmine_chine has one of the Ebay listings at $359 (down from $395). Maybe it is a typo, maybe the other listings haven't been changed yet.

Either way, I made an offer of $350 shipped. We'll see what happens.

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #1,083 of 1,892
Hi all, I just joined the 332 club as I am now waiting for the amp to arrive from Jasmine.. I would like to echo all the other positive comments about this seller in this thread as she has been responsive to my emails and shipped the amp very swiftly after receiving payment.
biggrin.gif

I am really excited about hearing the 332 with my HD650! After reading the entire thread it seems there are a handful of tubes out there that vastly improve the 332's sound and I'm interested in buying some but have had a little trouble finding them.

If any fellow 332 owners would be gracious enough to help me out by selling any extra tubes they would be willing to part with I would greatly appreciate it! please PM me
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I am most interested in the following:
2x Tung Sol 6AK5 (sniped, still looking)
2x WE403B (found and bought)
2x Mullard M8100 (found and bought)
2x ULYANOVSK 6S19P-B (found and bought)
2x Svetlana 6S19P-EV or 6S19P-B (found and bought x8, will have extras up for sale shortly)

edit: thanks to a great head-fi member I have found several of the tubes I was seeking, still looking for a few others to roll so keep the PMs coming
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #1,084 of 1,892
I just purchased a Darkvoice 332 from a Head-Fier. It should be here tomorrow!

Getting a few free tubes thrown in, to go with tubes already ordered. So I'll get to do my first tube rolling.

Odd and funny story: Package came from Canada with WE403b's last week. Yesterday, I got an odd box from the Ukraine (Svets). Wife asks, "What's that?" I take a deep breath and start to explain that it was vacuum tubes and it was for a tube amp that I didn't have, and that it was another "you won't understand" purchase.

Surprisingly, she launches into explaining to me that all of the sound engineers she's worked with (she's a voice talent and used to sing in a band) swore by tube amps and pre-amps, and that it provided a warm, lush sound, etc. etc.

My jaw dropped!
smily_headphones1.gif
Five years, and she still surprises me.

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #1,086 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you could figure out what's causing the problem - you could likely repair it yourself. It may be nothing more than a loose wire (grnd wire, perhaps) in one of the tube sockets (since they're so fragile and some are so loose that you might have broken a wire connection inserting a tube. Might be worth opening the bottom of the amp and looking at all the solder points of the wires and see if any are loose - that's the first thing I'd do... if the other experiments above didn't resolve / isolate the issue as external to the amp.

Thanks very much for this advice, but before I proceed, I was just wondering if other owners get any degree of humming with the 332 when not faulty. Should gaps between tracks be absolutely silent? Or should one expect a faint hum that sounds like that of the transformer when you put your ear against it?

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #1,087 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhammavijaya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks very much for this advice, but before I proceed, I was just wondering if other owners get any degree of humming with the 332 when not faulty. Should gaps between tracks be absolutely silent? Or should one expect a faint hum that sounds like that of the transformer when you put your ear against it?

No hum... or... noise at normal listening volumes.

Mar 1, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #1,090 of 1,892
I just got back from a business trip at 1:00 AM CST. Waiting on the doorstep was my Darkvoice 332. I unpacked, put on a pair of rubber gloves, carefully inserted my NOB Svetlana 6S19P-B and WE403b tubes (first time handling a vacuum tube!), plugged everything in, and snuck a few tracks.

Very quick impression: the DV332 brings serious punch! I like!

Quick notes on hum, I've noticed the following (remember, amp is secondhand, tubes NOB, stock power cable):

- loud noticeable HUM for the first hour. Can hear when volume is at zero and throughout the dial. Can here in quiet passage of tracks and when nothing is playing from source. I swapped power cables with stock GLite cable. Tiny/no improvement. Used cheater plug I got with the amp deal. No improvement.

- went to bed after 1 hour. Left tunes playing over night. Woke up six hours later. No hum heard during quiet passages or when no track is playing. Assuming this was tube burn-in at work.

- With volume at zero, a slight BUZZ can be heard. Cheater plug added results in no change. When volume knob is turned up just slightly, the buzz goes away.

- When nothing is playing and I pass 12:00 on volume (way too loud), I get a faint SSSSS. It gets slightly louder as I turn volume to max, but still quite faint.

So for the purposes of safe and everyday listening, I would call my setup (tubes, amps and stock cable) "silent." I'll definitely try the GLite cable again and see if it makes a difference. And try different DACs to see if jitter (?) is playing a role.

In the meantime, no time for buzz/hum listening. Here comes the music!

Mar 1, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #1,091 of 1,892
OK. After opening up and finding nothing obvious, I tried changes to various combination of mains plugs, sockets and trailers and found a combination with which the hum has ceased. Perhaps there was some kind of loop with my power amps. Anyway, great to listen now with the inky blackness Godkin mentions. Thanks guys.

Mar 2, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #1,092 of 1,892
Hey guys, I've stayed up all of last night reading this huge thread.
redface.gif

Am I to understand that headphones of low impedance (i.e. Grado) are too sensitive for the Darkvoice 332?

Some say it sounds great, others (aka GradoFan2) say they get "rough," and that description is dissuading me.

Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #1,093 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I've stayed up all of last night reading this huge thread.
redface.gif

Am I to understand that headphones of low impedance (i.e. Grado) are too sensitive for the Darkvoice 332?

Some say it sounds great, others (aka GradoFan2) say they get "rough," and that description is dissuading me.

Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm with Gradofan on this one. Maybe there's a tube combination that's better. I haven't spent that long to find it though.

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #1,094 of 1,892
Hey jellojoe, thanks for the input. My gut feeling tells me that this amp isn't for me ; now I have to PM the 332 seller in the FS Amp thread and apologize for backing out.
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #1,095 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with Gradofan on this one. Maybe there's a tube combination that's better. I haven't spent that long to find it though.

What I mean by "rough" is that their highs and upper mids aren't as smooth as the Senns, or even the AD2000s. The RS-1s don't sound terrible... they just sound a bit less smooth ("rough"), and harder than these other phones.

I don't know whether tube rolling would help, because I haven't had the patience to try that with the RS-1s, exclusively - I've been too impressed with the sound of my selected tubes with the Senns and AD2000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back