Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Mar 16, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #13,156 of 14,518
The guy does seem to be rather enamored with himself. One set of ears listening to tubes in 2 (OMG! TWO!) amplifiers? And he's a "true" expert? Wow. I hope someone can give me directions to his altar so I can run and kneel in front of it.

Seriously though, thanks for posting this and the description of the Bad Boy. To my ears the Bad Boys are nice sounding tubes, but I'm no expert. :laughing: They are not holy grails, and not worth huge prices. A good $50 tube IMO so long as it's NIB and (accurately) tests at NOS or better GM levels. I'd rather pay quite a bit more for a '50's Melz 1578. And depending on the amp and music menu for the day, I might even prefer a sub-$20 1950's Foton. Just my opinion, which like the expert above is heavily biased by my own personal preferences and components.
…the only bad boy is Marilyn Manson 🤪

Mar 16, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #13,157 of 14,518
Are they any better than say other 6SN7 variations? I'm not one to say as I like many different versions of the 6SN7 in different amps under different genres, heck that's half the fun!
Are they worth the premium? I would say no unless you can find a good deal.

Happy hunting and accept no substitutes!
I have a "true Bad Boy" from a reputable vendor...it's okay but not to my taste. I'd not buy another Bad Boy as my other Sylvania tubes share some of its characteristics.

In my notes I rated the Bad Boy 3/5 on the Lyr 3 for being thick, dynamically flat, gauzy, bloomy, mid focused, and weak on staging. It hums in the Darkvoice so I haven't listened long -- I don't want to waste tube hours trying to eliminate hum.

Mar 16, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #13,158 of 14,518
I have a "true Bad Boy" from a reputable vendor...it's okay but not to my taste. I'd not buy another Bad Boy as my other Sylvania tubes share some of its characteristics.

In my notes I rated the Bad Boy 3/5 on the Lyr 3 for being thick, dynamically flat, gauzy, bloomy, mid focused, and weak on staging. It hums in the Darkvoice so I haven't listened long -- I don't want to waste tube hours trying to eliminate hum.
…good decision…it would never learn the lyrics…🤣🤪

Mar 16, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #13,159 of 14,518
I don’t think you’ll be happy with the Ken-Rad VT-231 black glass, it’s likely not going to have the mids you’re after. Now this really opens up many cans to different things but.. what particular genre(s) are you after with this setup? I’ll recommend some combinations for you.
Thanks for the steer. Genres are diverse but alternative rock, folk and hip hop predominantly. I just don't want the shoutiness in the mids I perceived with the upper mids in the Valhalla - but I do like an intimate sound (hence HD series), don't like the vocals to feel recessed.

Mar 17, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #13,160 of 14,518
Thanks for the steer. Genres are diverse but alternative rock, folk and hip hop predominantly. I just don't want the shoutiness in the mids I perceived with the upper mids in the Valhalla - but I do like an intimate sound (hence HD series), don't like the vocals to feel recessed.
Okay with that info..

Output/power tubes, try to find a 5998 in America for a decent price (it’ll take time). It will add some nice energy/quickness to all driver tubes you pair with it. Another option is a GEC 6080, here’s a reputable UK seller (I’d get that over a Mullard). Chatham 6AS7G is a solid third choice.

Driver tubes, this is more difficult. I’ll avoid the rare or expensive options. I am tying to keep in mind what I prefer with my HD6XX but I mainly use those for jazz and that kind of thing since I purchased my Beyer’s.. This is where you’ll start collecting, as some tubes (add adapters) work better with certain genres. I’m going to miss many as there are just too many to list..

RCA 6SN7GTB - (see photo below) mid 50s, short bottle, side getter, copper support rods, offset plates. very nice forward vocals. Will do folk and rock nicely for you. Can do hip-hop ok, won’t have the impact or presence as the Sylvania 6J5GTs below. It lacks some low end and detail. This is a bargain tube that will walk all over most new stock tubes. Mine is labeled “Dumont” I paid about $5 for it.

RCA VT-231 - (6sn7) - an okay entry level choice, will lack some treble and clarity but it’s smooth and has a strong mid-range. Can be dependent on the output tube though. Vocals are also not it’s strong point so I hesitated in mentioning it. Don’t pay more than $40.

Foton (6sn7) 1950s only with ribbed gray plates - Soviet tubes that can be a great bargain. Will be harder to acquire with the war. I purchased mine from Ukraine. Dynamic sound for the cost. Less midrange and more treble and vocal clarity for rock but will be quite dependent with the output tube.

Sylvania 6J5GTs (gray plates only!) you’ll need 2x with an adapter - that signature “house” sound, mid dominant, vocals are nice and a step above the RCA above, not super detailed but just enjoyable, works with electronic and hip hop well. Can usually be found for $10 a tube!

Ken-Rad VT-65 (6c5 metal cans) - my go to for jazz. Less moving than the Sylvania above with hip hop. Less treble, vocals are forward but instruments have a spacious sound, even on HD6XX which don’t have much of a soundstage. These truly have a unique vintage sound to them. It’s a bit strange and hard to explain. Also can be found for less than $10 a tube.

7N7 tall bottle with oval micas only (more rare) - chrome dome down to half of tube, you’ll need an adapter.

Tung Sol VT-94A (6j5g) - more rare

English tubes.. much more $$$ but try a Brimar 6SN7GT (lovely mids) and a Fivre 6SN7GT. Then pretty much any genuine English 6J5Gs/L63. Mullard, GEC, etc.

That’s just a few options.

Attachments

• 3037E339-8884-40EB-A9AA-D3DC55011EE6.jpeg
    3037E339-8884-40EB-A9AA-D3DC55011EE6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #13,161 of 14,518
Okay with that info..

Output/power tubes, try to find a 5998 in America for a decent price (it’ll take time). It will add some nice energy/quickness to all driver tubes you pair with it. Another option is a GEC 6080, here’s a reputable UK seller (I’d get that over a Mullard). Chatham 6AS7G is a solid third choice.

Driver tubes, this is more difficult. I’ll avoid the rare or expensive options. I am tying to keep in mind what I prefer with my HD6XX but I mainly use those for jazz and that kind of thing since I purchased my Beyer’s.. This is where you’ll start collecting, as some tubes (add adapters) work better with certain genres. I’m going to miss many as there are just too many to list..

RCA 6SN7GTB - (see photo below) mid 50s, short bottle, side getter, copper support rods, offset plates. very nice forward vocals. Will do folk and rock nicely for you. Can do hip-hop ok, won’t have the impact or presence as the Sylvania 6J5GTs below. It lacks some low end and detail. This is a bargain tube that will walk all over most new stock tubes. Mine is labeled “Dumont” I paid about $5 for it.

RCA VT-231 - (6sn7) - an okay entry level choice, will lack some treble and clarity but it’s smooth and has a strong mid-range. Can be dependent on the output tube though. Vocals are also not it’s strong point so I hesitated in mentioning it. Don’t pay more than $40.

Foton (6sn7) 1950s only with ribbed gray plates - Soviet tubes that can be a great bargain. Will be harder to acquire with the war. I purchased mine from Ukraine. Dynamic sound for the cost. Less midrange and more treble and vocal clarity for rock but will be quite dependent with the output tube.

Sylvania 6J5GTs (gray plates only!) you’ll need 2x with an adapter - that signature “house” sound, mid dominant, vocals are nice and a step above the RCA above, not super detailed but just enjoyable, works with electronic and hip hop well. Can usually be found for $10 a tube!

Ken-Rad VT-65 (6c5 metal cans) - my go to for jazz. Less moving than the Sylvania above with hip hop. Less treble, vocals are forward but instruments have a spacious sound, even on HD6XX which don’t have much of a soundstage. These truly have a unique vintage sound to them. It’s a bit strange and hard to explain. Also can be found for less than $10 a tube.

7N7 tall bottle with oval micas only (more rare) - chrome dome down to half of tube, you’ll need an adapter.

Tung Sol VT-94A (6j5g) - more rare

English tubes.. much more $$$ but try a Brimar 6SN7GT (lovely mids) and a Fivre 6SN7GT. Then pretty much any genuine English 6J5Gs/L63. Mullard, GEC, etc.

That’s just a few options.
@therremans this is really helpful, thank you so much! I'm actually based in the UK, so UK sellers are much more preferable for me.

Can I ask check why you prefer the GEC over the Mullard? Thanks again!

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #13,162 of 14,518
@therremans this is really helpful, thank you so much! I'm actually based in the UK, so UK sellers are much more preferable for me.

The seller I linked also has/had nos mullards, i bought mine from him. The GEC has a slightly fuller sound with more low end but both are solid choices.. very good at detail retrieval and soundstage/separation.

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #13,163 of 14,518
That’s great. Try to get some English L63/6J5G tubes. GEC, Osram, Marconi, etc. They sound amazing and you can usually get them in small unorganized used but tested unmatched pairs or groups from English sellers. You can make a pair and sell the rest if needed. I usually pass on these bargain used tubes due to shipping costs.. also be wary of any tubes labeled “Made for X” or “imported” and the price is too good to be true, they are likely Soviet or USA made tubes.

Adapter: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK5mgRm
If you’re handy even a little bit, you can make your own adapter that’s hand wired (ask for the wiring schematic here) but the Chinese ones will work just fine..

I have a NOS pair of GEC gray glass L63 on the way that I’m really curious to finally hear. I’d avoid the straight bottle GEC L63.

I also recommend the Brimar 6SN7GT. I like the mid range and unique sound it has but not everyone likes it.

A little tip is to try to purchase tubes in multiples. Keep the best example for yourself and sell the rest. Sometimes you end up getting that tube you kept for next to nothing.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #13,164 of 14,518

You have two good vendors there that normally** have a decent selection of European tubes: Langrex and Billington Exports.

** things aren't exactly normal right now, and I haven't looked at their sites recently to see if they are experiencing major disruptions.

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #13,165 of 14,518
CB0ACB33-EBF8-4BCA-9875-95D6E379D592.jpeg

Tung-Sol 5998 (1957 vs 1966/67)

There are subtle differences to the construction and materials but most notably the 1966/67 version has an upper and bottom getter flashing whereas the 50s version has just the upper. Mica on the 50s version is more opaque and aged looking, along with the finish on the domino plates. Thankfully the tube tests at 15,000/15,000 (8,000) on my 800A. It seems very high but I won’t complain, it may be unused. It also sounds like a great 5998 so far, (maybe even better?) Not bad for $50!

Notice the fault? The new arrival has a getter that came unsoldered over the years. This doesn’t impact performance at all but care needs to be taken that the loose getter remains at the bottom glass envelope before powering on.

8004FF0F-ADE7-4380-8237-CD90DF34FE3F.jpeg

Attachments

• 70128569-41F4-4EBF-963B-2159C253C060.jpeg
    70128569-41F4-4EBF-963B-2159C253C060.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 10E3C384-3781-4802-8660-2F6B105031AA.jpeg
    10E3C384-3781-4802-8660-2F6B105031AA.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #13,167 of 14,518
You guys still doing that fuse thing? Check this bad boy out…

His vid on the mercury arc rectifier is pretty cool too. Can't wait to see Paladin add one to his Incubus:laughing:

Or bcowen to add one to his Sidecubus…😂

Mar 18, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #13,168 of 14,518
You guys still doing that fuse thing? Check this bad boy out…

His vid on the mercury arc rectifier is pretty cool too. Can't wait to see Paladin add one to his Incubus:laughing:

Love it! I don't think @therremans had to go to quite as much work to blow his though. :laughing:

Some of that guy's videos are hilarious, like the 3300 1/3 RPM record player:

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #13,169 of 14,518
On the subject of Brimar tubes. What is considered a good Brimar? There are tons of versions out there. B getter, D getter, foil getter, grey plate, black plate & the super expensive black beauty

Mar 22, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #13,170 of 14,518
On the subject of Brimar tubes. What is considered a good Brimar? There are tons of versions out there. B getter, D getter, foil getter, grey plate, black plate & the super expensive black beauty
Good question. I would like to listen to them all. I have only owned the gray plate version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back