Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jun 10, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #11,012 of 14,543
So the I got the DV up and running. I redid all the wiring and soldering and the Alps 50 works perfectly. The only issue I have right now is that I get a high pitched background noise. Did I not ground it good enough ? The RCA, pot & headphone jack are all grounded. I did not ground the wires coming from the 6sn7 socket. Would that cause my issue ? It's not audible when playing music so there's that. It could also be the tube I'm using humming like crazy and will go away in a few days but the noise completely goes away if I unplug the RCA's in the back. Any suggestions ?

Edit : Noise here https://photos.app.goo.gl/NPDBm2vejzzTZcnH6

PXL_20210610_151105915.jpg

Edit 2 : Do I need to connect these together (yellow drawing) so the loop is complete ? Sorry for the noob questions :)

1623346347308.png

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #11,013 of 14,543
So the I got the DV up and running. I redid all the wiring and soldering and the Alps 50 works perfectly. The only issue I have right now is that I get a high pitched background noise. Did I not ground it good enough ? The RCA, pot & headphone jack are all grounded. I did not ground the wires coming from the 6sn7 socket. Would that cause my issue ? It's not audible when playing music so there's that. It could also be the tube I'm using humming like crazy and will go away in a few days but the noise completely goes away if I unplug the RCA's in the back. Any suggestions ?

PXL_20210610_151105915.jpg

Edit 2 : Do I need to connect these together (yellow drawing) so the loop is complete ? Sorry for the noob questions :)

1623346347308.png
I see you have the Feliks Elise an you still got the DV !!!! does the DV give any value added ?
As I have the DV and thinking of getting the Elise myself

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #11,014 of 14,543
I see you have the Feliks Elise an you still got the DV !!!! does the DV give any value added ?
As I have the DV and thinking of getting the Elise myself
I have a few spare single tubes and don't want to give up on them as well as the DV. It holds a very special place on my desk as it was my first tube amp. The Elise on the other hand is the Darkvoice on steroids. I'm keeping both. I see nothing wrong with have a few tube amps lol. It's all about different flavors, different tubes etc. I actually like the HD600 more on the DV for example. They sound more all over the place and distorted but in a good way that makes me enjoy some tracks more. Elise is cleaner and more polite but still has that tube sound whatever that is...It's hard to describe

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #11,015 of 14,543
I see nothing wrong with having a few tube amps lol
I like that and have broadened it: I now have four headphone amplifiers: tube otl (Woo WA3), tube otc (Woo WA6), tube/ss hybrid (Schiit Moljnir II cap-mod), ss 🤫 (Violectric V280: at least it is not ‘sterile’). Variety IS the spice of life...sometimes tube roll...sometimes amp roll...

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #11,016 of 14,543
I like that and have broadened it: I now have four headphone amplifiers: tube otl (Woo WA3), tube otc (Woo WA6), tube/ss hybrid (Schiit Moljnir II cap-mod), ss 🤫 (Violectric V280: at least it is not ‘sterile’). Variety IS the spice of life...sometimes tube roll...sometimes amp roll...
Tu-be or not Tu-be....that is the amplification!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #11,017 of 14,543
Tu-be or not Tu-be....that's is the amplification!
In fact I started with the Violectric followed by the Cavalli Hybrid followed by the DV and now eyeing the Elise and trying to get a Hartung too 😃😃😃
On the side just received this week a Yaqin cathode follower tube buffer with dual 6SN7

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #11,018 of 14,543
I just purchased 4 ken rad vt231 black glass from eBay. They are used But tested strong. Unfortunately, 3 of them came with bad hum on my DV. Is it common issue with DV or this type of tubes? Worth any burn in or just return?

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #11,019 of 14,543

Looking at the photo you posted, the "+" leads from the RCA jacks are connected to the Alps pins on the right. The center pins are connected to the 6SN7 socket. The "-" leads from the RCA's are connected to the pins on the left. Those two same pins (with the negative leads from the RCA's) also need to be connected to ground. I used a small terminal lug to connect the ground wires from the pot (left pins), the negative lead from the HP jack, and the ground bus wire all together at one point. The grid lugs (pins 1 and 4) on the 6SN7 socket where you attach the pot wires are not grounded directly (they go to ground only through the 1 megohm resistor that is attached to them).

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #11,020 of 14,543
I just purchased 4 ken rad vt231 black glass from eBay. They are used But tested strong. Unfortunately, 3 of them came with bad hum on my DV. Is it common issue with DV or this type of tubes? Worth any burn in or just return?
The heater voltage runs a little high (on the Darkvoice) so some burn in will help. What's your wall outlets (the outlet that the power cord of the Darkvoice is plugged into) output as far as total volts go?

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #11,021 of 14,543
The heater voltage runs a little high (on the Darkvoice) so some burn in will help. What's your wall outlets (the outlet that the power cord of the Darkvoice is plugged into) output as far as total volts go?
I plug it into a WAudio w-3900 power conditioner plus surge protector. I removed the power tube and let ken rad burned for an day, no magic yet. I guess I will let it go up to 72hrs.

Did you mean that it's possibly caused by DV's high heater voltage. So another amp may not have such an issue?

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #11,022 of 14,543
I plug it into a WAudio w-3900 power conditioner plus surge protector. I removed the power tube and let ken rad burned for an day, no magic yet. I guess I will let it go up to 72hrs.

Did you mean that it's possibly caused by DV's high heater voltage. So another amp may not have such an issue?
It is more to do with your specific DV circuit causing the hum, it's a good chance they won't hum on another amp. However it would be nice to verify that. Sorry if I missed it previously, but is your amp un-modded?

Edit: I now notice you said 1 of 4 do not hum. I still think it’s the DV circuit. You could try to flow the solder in pins like suggested.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #11,023 of 14,543
Give it a 24hr+ burn time, if still the humming persist you need to re-solder

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #11,024 of 14,543
BTW 220V runs much quitter than the 110V

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #11,025 of 14,543
It is more to do with your specific DV circuit causing the hum, it's a good chance they won't hum on another amp. However it would be nice to verify that. Sorry if I missed it previously, but is your amp un-modded?

Edit: I now notice you said 1 of 4 do not hum. I still think it’s the DV circuit. You could try to flow the solder in pins like suggested.
True better try in another amp before re-soldering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back