Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Apr 6, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #9,091 of 14,501
Mrs. bcowen has already been properly educated. She still has no clue what a tube is or does, but she is aware that the stash could probably buy her 1k pairs of shoes. That she understands. :laughing:
Maybe 800 pairs considering the GEs....

Apr 7, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #9,092 of 14,501
My 336SE turned up today from Drop here in the Netherlands. First listen with the Verite Closed is nice, but I assumed that the tubes that came with the DV aren't the best.

What's a nice upgrade here, with the VC's?
I bought a few tubes from eBay, all cheaper ones. I don't have much listening in yet due mostly using the amp for long burn in sessions. However, I am liking the inexpensive Russian tubes over the NOS American tubes. Particularly Foton 6N8S driver tube with Svetlana 6N5S power tube. Bargain tubes, yet very good sound. The eBay seller I purchased them from was hds-group just in case anyone was wondering. And, all of my purchased tubes except for one Russian tube have required burn in to get rid of buzzing. Anywhere from 5 hours to 78 hours of burn in to get rid of buzzing. Stock Chinese tubes came buzz free.
IMG_0049.jpg

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #9,093 of 14,501
Apr 7, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #9,094 of 14,501
...or $145 a month for 24 months on PayPal credit 😂
...then the killer...$100 shipping because it comes to you via teleporter.
Probably the $100 is due to the armed vehicle used for transportation by USPS 😜

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #9,095 of 14,501
Bummer. huh? If only he had 2 pairs for sale.... :sweat_smile:
In case you show an interest in those at this price, am sure the seller can come up with an even more precious pair lol 🤣🤣🤣

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #9,096 of 14,501
I bought a few tubes from eBay, all cheaper ones. I don't have much listening in yet due mostly using the amp for long burn in sessions. However, I am liking the inexpensive Russian tubes over the NOS American tubes. Particularly Foton 6N8S driver tube with Svetlana 6N5S power tube. Bargain tubes, yet very good sound. The eBay seller I purchased them from was hds-group just in case anyone was wondering. And, all of my purchased tubes except for one Russian tube have required burn in to get rid of buzzing. Anywhere from 5 hours to 78 hours of burn in to get rid of buzzing. Stock Chinese tubes came buzz free.
Are you referring to these two:
https://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=664
https://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=107

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #9,097 of 14,501
Apr 7, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #9,098 of 14,501
or the messengers of Bangybang are playing inside your wallet....should one be reassured that the tubes test only “OK”....?
Those particular tubes actually test pretty well *if* the seller's tester has been calibrated recently (like within the last couple years at minimum) and *if* his pictures are an honest representation. Not saying they aren't, but all you have to do with any of these testers is crank the line voltage pot up a bit and even nearly dead tubes can "show" that they test very high in GM. I looked though the seller's photos quite a bit and didn't see anything that looked suspicious, but again, when was his tester last calibrated? If it was more than a couple years ago, the readings are meaningless. TV-7's are a supreme PITA to fully calibrate and get dialed in correctly, and I speak from experience on that. There's also the fact that if I spent $3k on a pair of 6SN7's the real issue at hand would be that my brain was out of calibration even more than usual (which would be hard). :laughing:

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #9,099 of 14,501
Those are exactly the ones! Great sound on the cheap.
I may add that I have 6N5S Svetlanas from the 50s, 60s, and 70s and the 1950s Svetlanas do sound the best of the bunch. The 60s and 70s I have are about the same. Not a huge difference but the sound appears to be more lush and full in the 1950's versions I have.

Apr 7, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #9,100 of 14,501
I finally pulled the Trigger on the DarkVoice and like everyone else found that the stock tubes didn't cut it. I replaced them with what seems to be the internet's default replacement pair: Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z 6SNT and NOS 1953 RCA Black Plate 6AS7G. Perhaps this is a little pedestrian at this point considering the recent conversations in this thread, but I'm just so darn happy to say that the DarkVoice now sounds completely different from any amp I've heard (in a good way)! It's so warm and happy; like I'm a grilled sausage popped into a freshly toasted bun. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #9,101 of 14,501
I finally pulled the Trigger on the DarkVoice and like everyone else found that the stock tubes didn't cut it. I replaced them with what seems to be the internet's default replacement pair: Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z 6SNT and NOS 1953 RCA Black Plate 6AS7G. Perhaps this is a little pedestrian at this point considering the recent conversations in this thread, but I'm just so darn happy to say that the DarkVoice now sounds completely different from any amp I've heard (in a good way)! It's so warm and happy; like I'm a grilled sausage popped into a freshly toasted bun. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Which cans are You pairing with the DV ?
RCA 6AS7G can stay in the back, roll the 6SN7 in the front. The Shuguang is silent but not much on the warm side.

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #9,102 of 14,501
Which cans are You pairing with the DV ?
RCA 6AS7G can stay in the back, roll the 6SN7 in the front. The Shuguang is silent but not much on the warm side.
6xx and T1.2 mostly. Perhaps I perceive more warmth based on comparisons to the amps I have/had (Hagerman Tuba and Feliks Echo)? I hear them as smooth/clear whereas with the DarkVoice I get smooth/warm. Is there one or two 6SN7s under, say, $75 you'd recommend? Let's shoot for double-wrapped in sleeping bags!

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #9,103 of 14,501
6xx and T1.2 mostly. Perhaps I perceive more warmth based on comparisons to the amps I have/had (Hagerman Tuba and Feliks Echo)? I hear them as smooth/clear whereas with the DarkVoice I get smooth/warm. Is there one or two 6SN7s under, say, $75 you'd recommend? Let's shoot for double-wrapped in sleeping bags!
From my short experience I can recommend the RCA 6SN7 Grey Glass and Sylvania 6SN7 6SN7GT 2 Holes. Ordered the Raytheon JAN-CRP-6SN7GT VT231 T Plates as well (recommended by @bcowen ) and should be brilliant too.

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #9,104 of 14,501
Certainly nothing wrong with smooth/warm (that's usually my preference too), but if you want to liven things up a bit try a '50's Foton 6N8S (cheap) or an early '60's or '50's Melz 6N8S (good ones can be found for around $50). A true Melz 1578 is going to be closer to $100 so a bit above your budget. Both of those may require pin resoldering, so be aware of that up front. The Raytheon is a good bet too (T-plates are my preference). Lots of flavors, but if you're already on the warm side then some of the other highly regarded suspects (RCA and Ken-Rad black/gray glass from the '40's and '50's) might be too much of a good thing.

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #9,105 of 14,501
Those particular tubes actually test pretty well *if* the seller's tester has been calibrated recently (like within the last couple years at minimum) and *if* his pictures are an honest representation. Not saying they aren't, but all you have to do with any of these testers is crank the line voltage pot up a bit and even nearly dead tubes can "show" that they test very high in GM. I looked though the seller's photos quite a bit and didn't see anything that looked suspicious, but again, when was his tester last calibrated? If it was more than a couple years ago, the readings are meaningless. TV-7's are a supreme PITA to fully calibrate and get dialed in correctly, and I speak from experience on that. There's also the fact that if I spent $3k on a pair of 6SN7's the real issue at hand would be that my brain was out of calibration even more than usual (which would be hard). :laughing:
Thank you, this is informative......As a corollary, would your brain re-calibrate if enough voltage was applied to the carotid arteries a la Frankencowen?...⚡⚡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back