Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Mar 5, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #7,636 of 14,518
I do have a proper transformer off of another Chinese amp, otherwise I will be using bonded twisted pair, some zinc oxide, and possibly tinned copper in a french braid, copper tape and the usual stuff I mentioned, dual single ganged pots and circuit changes based on my own designs, a bigger cabinet and most likely my own power supply setup. I have more pressing matters but one day I will show a completed amp.

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #7,637 of 14,518
I do have a proper transformer off of another Chinese amp, otherwise I will be using bonded twisted pair, some zinc oxide, and possibly tinned copper in a french braid, copper tape and the usual stuff I mentioned, dual single ganged pots and circuit changes based on my own designs, a bigger cabinet and most likely my own power supply setup. I have more pressing matters but one day I will show a completed amp.
Well you know what they say, "important thing is to buy the bell. after that you can build a church around it"😃

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #7,638 of 14,518
Anyone have an opinion on if the LED mod has the same or similar impact on sound quality to the cathode cap bypass?

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #7,639 of 14,518
Yes I'm interested in learning about the efficacy of the LED mod as well to address or eliminate Hum while maintaining original sound quality.

Also, this may be redundant to you all - but why does the stock tube work so well without hum? Are there premium chinese tubes sold that match the underlying specs and compatibility? I'm thinking of buying a high quality shaguang or psvane tube for this reason, but of course its a 130-170$ gamble on ebay

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #7,640 of 14,518
Well you know what they say, "important thing is to buy the bell. after that you can build a church around it"

EC378ABC-EFE7-4D58-B115-3CC1AF6C55B1.jpeg

I am starting to test the tubes I will send you, the black glass mystery tube and the Svetlana winged C are quite good, even in a DV lol I just lowered my standards on headphones, and used all purple magic cables I built and i do not cringe as much when I listen. My source is a Schiit Bifrost 2 or 3 or whatever the latest model is, it is not marked on the front so I forget.

Oh and I may well keep the original sockets, that style socket is very easy to adjust if the pins ever get too loose.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #7,641 of 14,518
Yes I'm interested in learning about the efficacy of the LED mod as well to address or eliminate Hum while maintaining original sound quality.

Also, this may be redundant to you all - but why does the stock tube work so well without hum? Are there premium chinese tubes sold that match the underlying specs and compatibility? I'm thinking of buying a high quality shaguang or psvane tube for this reason, but of course its a 130-170$ gamble on ebay
The stock tube doesn't always work well without the hum. Like most tubes, it's a bit of a roll of the dice with your specific DV. I had good results with a Shuguang Black Treasure CV-181 - can't recall if it needed to be burned in, but it sounded great well before I started modding mine. A single one on Amazon is like $85, which isn't cheap but it's a bit easier a reach than the prices you noted. Just watch the titles, a lot of these are sold as matched pairs but with a pic of a single tube.

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #7,642 of 14,518
My gear keeps on expanding 😊

Attachments

• EBD5BEC6-D810-40F4-803B-A3A1FCB853BD.jpeg
    EBD5BEC6-D810-40F4-803B-A3A1FCB853BD.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 2768A7CA-A7ED-45AE-8580-CB8471226A38.jpeg
    2768A7CA-A7ED-45AE-8580-CB8471226A38.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • EF5530DF-4985-4F5F-9EB0-B07B10F72172.jpeg
    EF5530DF-4985-4F5F-9EB0-B07B10F72172.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 5, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #7,644 of 14,518
I have read comments that RFT built for Telefunken but l have never researched it very much. Folks on here like @Old Deaf Donkey have much more knowledge about such things than I ever will. I have a feeling he speaks four or five languages and that can help. :L3000:
Not just for Telefunken, also for Siemens and other brands. Rundfunk- und Fernmelde-Technik (RFT) was a large East German state-owned conglomerate which had many factories, some of them were built by Telefunken before the war (e.g. "Anna Seghers" in Neuhaus). When the production of tubes in Western Europe was shut down many Western brands had the tubes they needed manufactured in East Germany. Telefunken still produced tubes in small series at the Berlin-Moabit plant (West Berlin). This information is readily available if you read German :)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #7,645 of 14,518
Mar 5, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #7,646 of 14,518

I am starting to test the tubes I will send you, the black glass mystery tube and the Svetlana winged C are quite good, even in a DV lol I just lowered my standards on headphones, and used all purple magic cables I built and i do not cringe as much when I listen. My source is a Schiit Bifrost 2 or 3 or whatever the latest model is, it is not marked on the front so I forget.
Both looks sexy and am sure they sound so good. Thanks again, am overwhelmed. After your testing am very sure any hum would be DV related.
I normally use Audioquest cables for analog RCA connections and Van Den Hul or Wadia for digital cabling. Sommer for speakers.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #7,647 of 14,518
Not just for Telefunken, also for Siemens and other brands. Rundfunk- und Fernmelde-Technik (RFT) was a large conglo;erate which had many factories, some of them were built by Telefunken before the war (e.g. "Anna Seghers" in Neuhaus). When the production of tubes in Western Europe was shut down many Western had the tubes they needed manufactured in East Germany. Telefunken still produced tubes in small series at the Berlin-Moabit plant (East Berlin). This information is readily available if you read German :)
I knew you would know lol. I may not know some things but I have a pretty good line on people that do. I usually get with @bcowen if I want details on double walled cardboard. :ksc75smile:

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #7,648 of 14,518
Both looks sexy and am sure they sound so good. Thanks again, am overwhelmed. After your testing am very sure any hum would be DV related.
I normally use Audioquest cables for analog RCA connections and Van Den Hul or Wadia for digital cabling. Sommer for speakers.
Because I am a member of the trade I have to be careful talking about cables other than what I build at home for my own use.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #7,649 of 14,518

Oh and I may well keep the original sockets, that style socket is very easy to adjust if the pins ever get too loose.

Black glass mystery tube looks like a National Union! I have one branded by Motorola, not bad.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #7,650 of 14,518
Wait...you have a McIntosh amp and you are worried about spending money on a few tubes for the DV? :rolling_eyes:
Those were “the days my friend “ all people savings were confiscated in the banks and the economical situation went down the drain. Salaries of $7K is worth $1K now 😡😡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back