Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Feb 15, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #6,841 of 14,511
I have also used the DT109 in my professional life however I believe they have since been classified as a torture device by the UN.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #6,842 of 14,511
Curious what headphones folks are using with thier DV? For me it's the 6xx. All my other headphones are low impedance (Fostex TH-X00), planar (Sundara) or Stax. Sometimes I think about getting something else to use with the dark voice. I had a set of Beyer 880 before I owned this amp and I just remember really not vibing with them. I'd love to get into a set of ZMF at some point but man, kilobuck headphones...
I've really enjoyed the pairings of HD6XX (sold), Beyer T1.2 (sold) and now ZMF Auteurs with the DV. Also some old-school AKGs - mid- and late-production Sextetts.

Really nice pairings all.

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #6,843 of 14,511
I have also used the DT109 in my professional life however I believe they have since been classified as a torture device by the UN.
Plus use by the CIA for can-boarding?...

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #6,845 of 14,511
Feb 16, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #6,846 of 14,511
Alright, DarkVoice mods are done. I was able to replace the power switch without removing the front plate, then replaced the original pot with an Alps RK27. I repurposed the stock pot PCB.

So that's pretty much it, I'll probably think of something else to mess around with over the next few days, but I'm about ready to move on from this project. Will likely send it back to @Galapac within the next week, will wait until the Neurochrome regulator gets here to size it up in case that becomes something others want to pursue. Might leave it up to him if he wants to experiment with swapping the Solen caps on the gyrator to something fancier.

IMAG3075-2.jpg

Going to be a little tricky since this is no longer stock, but I'll find some stock circuit photos and try to write up some instructions on how to balance and elevated the heater supply to remove the hum, that is a simple modifications that anyone here should be able to do.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #6,847 of 14,511
So I'm contemplating divorcing my wife and just keeping the tubes..

Very doable. Reach out to Bill. He should be able to provide assistance with tubes fulfilling your emotional and physical needs. 😉

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #6,849 of 14,511
Here is an OTL power tube you don't see everyday, graphite plate Tung-Sol 7802WA. Quite possibly the rarest tube I own.

IMAG3076.jpg
Isn't that a 6080WB with a different name? Looks a lot like one...precursor?

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #6,850 of 14,511
Feb 16, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #6,851 of 14,511
Alright, DarkVoice mods are done. I was able to replace the power switch without removing the front plate, then replaced the original pot with an Alps RK27. I repurposed the stock pot PCB.

So that's pretty much it, I'll probably think of something else to mess around with over the next few days, but I'm about ready to move on from this project. Will likely send it back to @Galapac within the next week, will wait until the Neurochrome regulator gets here to size it up in case that becomes something others want to pursue. Might leave it up to him if he wants to experiment with swapping the Solen caps on the gyrator to something fancier.

Going to be a little tricky since this is no longer stock, but I'll find some stock circuit photos and try to write up some instructions on how to balance and elevated the heater supply to remove the hum, that is a simple modifications that anyone here should be able to do.
How does the alps sound? How did you manage to replace the power switch without removing the front plate? The nut secures it from the outside (under the front plate).

Is there a similar gyrator load design available on the open market?

Do you still plan on doing a similar design on this modded DV circuit in a more open chassis? That is my goal.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #6,852 of 14,511
Feb 16, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #6,853 of 14,511

IMAG3075-2.jpg

Okay, wait wait wait wait... how did you replace the power switch w/o removing the front plate?!?

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #6,854 of 14,511
Feb 16, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #6,855 of 14,511
How does the alps sound? How did you manage to replace the power switch without removing the front plate? The nut secures it from the outside (under the front plate).

Is there a similar gyrator load design available on the open market?

Do you still plan on doing a similar design on this modded DV circuit in a more open chassis? That is my goal.

The Alps sounds good! Although I'm not sure if it made a drastic difference in the sound, granted I did not do much critical listening beforehand as to make a direct comparison. But certainly the knob feel is way, way, WAY better.

The gyrator load is discussed on various threads on diyAudio, lots of variations by the general design is the same. As I said, I am happy to share mine. Implementation however will depend on the circuit it is being used in, so the part values could vary slightly.

I will build something similar at some point, although I don't know when exactly, I have a speaker amplifier I have been working on for a long time that needs to be completed first, so I can't give an exact timeline.

Okay, wait wait wait wait... how did you replace the power switch w/o removing the front plate?!?

I removed the heat shrink from the AC wiring, desoldered the power switch, and unscrewed it from behind. When it was just about to exit the nut in between the front panel and the interior frame, I stuck a piece of wire through the hole such that the nut did not fall out of alignment when the switch was removed. I then screwed the new switch in from behind. The second nut on the interior had to be tightened with some fine tipped pliers from behind. That was the trickiest part.

BTW, what the EFF is with all of the freaking heat shrink in the DarkVoice?!! Every tube pin? Every soldered connection? REALLY? My god, absolute insanity.

Just had to get that off my chest. All of the glue and heatshrink in this amplifier is maddening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back