Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Feb 2, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #6,436 of 14,501
Yes it's OK to replace the stock tubes right away. Depending on your budget, I'm not a big fan of the new Russian-made Tung-Sols (have one, don't like it). You can look for a new old stock RCA 6SN7 for between $25-$50 or a Shuguang CV-181 for about $90. The stock tubes blow.

I'd replace the power tube as well. My first one was a new old stock RCA 6AS7 that's a very solid performer. A little more $$ will get you a Svetlana Winged C 6AS7G (an eBay seller has them for $35 a pop). Either is good and both will make a positive impact on the sound.

Burning in, what you describe is correct. You can certainly just pop the tubes in and listen but you'll probably have an annoying hum during the burn-in process, and nothing is harmed by at least pulling the power tube and leaving the pre tube to burn in overnight the first night you have it.

Thank you so much for the advice. I am going to read up a bit more on the Shuguang CV-181.

You could but I wouldn’t. You don’t really know if anything got knocked loose from shipping and it would be a bummer to ruin a nice nos tube. So I’d let it sit on for hours 100% stock and make sure you don’t have any quality or shipping problems.

It was also my first but I didn’t use it for long and favored much cheaper old stock tubes. So I would just skip it. This tube is infamous for a single channel hum while it burns in.

Grab this adapter - link (updated) and get these tubes Link that will be a good start for you.

Yes, to start, try a Svetlana 6AS7G/6H13C power tube ($10-$20). If you can spend more try to get a 5998 ($75-$125) or a 7236 (will lack some low end vs the other two) ($35-$75).

If you hear a hum you can try the method you mentioned. You may not hear this hum on most tubes.

I appreciate you taking the extra time to send me some links as well as the advice, i went ahead and pulled the trigger on both items I am looking at a 5998 but how much does the Brand matter? The one on Ebay is a United NOS that several people are bidding on.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #6,437 of 14,501
Thank you so much for the advice. I am going to read up a bit more on the Shuguang CV-181.

I appreciate you taking the extra time to send me some links as well as the advice, i went ahead and pulled the trigger on both items I am looking at a 5998 but how much does the Brand matter? The one on Ebay is a United NOS that several people are bidding on.
I really like the Shuguang. It was one of the earlier tubes I got when I started rolling and I still go back to it quite often.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #6,438 of 14,501
Feb 2, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #6,439 of 14,501

That's a TungSol, just OEM'ed for United. Nice looking tube if it's truly NOS. I would expect it will go for $150+, but I could be wrong. If you can snag it for a price you're happy with, grab it.

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #6,440 of 14,501
Another tube that I think sounds pretty damn good for the money ($10 shipped). Link

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #6,442 of 14,501
Fixed this for you. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
LOL I got some variations of Melz tubes in today, I may wait till the DV 336 arrives and plug them in that before I try them in an Incubus. I shipped @sam6550a the loaner today so it will be nice to get another engineers opinion, not that yours does not matter. :beyersmile: I could plug them in a Lyr 3 but first I would have to locate that amp, it is in my shop somewhere. At least I know tubes I receive from you are well tested and should function properly.

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #6,443 of 14,501
Another tube that I think sounds pretty damn good for the money ($10 shipped). Link
Yeah those little RCAs are great tubes, especially for how cheap you can get them.

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #6,444 of 14,501
Ok, I should have heeded the warnings... Here I am waiting on the DarkVoice to even ship and I think I am close to spending as much on the tubes as I have on the actual unit, though $200 was a good deal. I am excited for everything but my wallet is giving me funny looks...
Just wait until the veterans here start supporting your modding habit. Don’t have one? You will. The DV is insanely moddable and I blame most of the people in this thread for how much time and money I’ve invested into tinkering with mine’s guts. Also for how dang amazing it sounds now.

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #6,445 of 14,501
Just wait until the veterans here start supporting your modding habit. Don’t have one? You will. The DV is insanely moddable and I blame most of the people in this thread for how much time and money I’ve invested into tinkering with mine’s guts. Also for how dang amazing it sounds now.
I hope to allow enough room to make one extremely moddable, I may remove the power supply and breadboard the rest to allow for better testing and part substitution, then reassemble the final version. I downloaded a couple schematics but have not had time to find a decent one. If one of you gentlemen has one please PM it to me.

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #6,446 of 14,501
Yea I am good for the moment, I was able to snag the auction for a decent price but at this point I am slightly over what I paid for the DV unit. I will wait until I get it and all the tubes get is all configured and maybe look at others from there haha.

Edit: No regrets though, I am excited to get this all hooked up and I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #6,447 of 14,501
Better this than crack and hookers though.

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #6,448 of 14,501
Feb 2, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #6,449 of 14,501
Funny you mention... this is a gateway to a Bottlehead Crack
I was going to go that route over the DarkVoice but I am better at buying gear than crafting sadly. My understanding is Bottlehead Crack + Speedball is amazing but I would have to solder everything and I havnt messed with any of that before.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #6,450 of 14,501
Mine does not ship till March 24th, by then I will have built a few more amps lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back