Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jan 8, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #5,897 of 14,518
I was gonna ask the same thing if he was set on the 7236, the 7236 has gone up to 5998 numbers... at least the last listing I saw on Ebay, $200 for a 7236!?.. I remember when @bcowen was telling us to grab as many as we could when they were $30! You might get lucky here at Headfi selling thread, guys like myself will sometimes post tubes there. Etsy and Ebay, and a few online merchants mentioned a few pages back here on this thread is a good place to start looking for both them Tung Sols. I suggest grabbing a NOS GTB though, the "NEW" GTB are prone to hum issues. Anyways.... welcome to the Darkvoice thread.. saw ya on the HifiGuides Forum asking the same question.
Yeah I don't know if I should be or not. I want the tubiest destored sound for classic rock and lofi. I have a my other setup for clean sound. I jsut want to see the other side of the spectrum for tubes

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #5,898 of 14,518
Yeah I don't know if I should be or not. I want the tubiest destored sound for classic rock. I have a my other setup for clean sound. I jsut want to see the other side of the spectrum for tubes
RCA 6AS7G... is the tubiest. (grab early 50's if you can) the premium tubiest would be the GEC 6AS7G(not as loose as the RCA).. the 7236 are clean and dynamic, their big brother 5998 are the same with a touch of tubeness, then....we have some really warm tubeness with just enough detail to grab your attention...the 6080.. all of them great to have.

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #5,899 of 14,518
RCA 6AS7G... is the tubiest. (grab early 50's if you can) the premium tubiest would be the GEC 6AS7G(not as loose as the RCA).. the 7236 are clean and dynamic, their big brother 5998 are the same with a touch of tubeness, then....we have some really warm tubeness with just enough detail to grab your attention...the 6080.. all of them great to have.
So power tube and preamp, which one has the biggest impact or should i be looking at replancing the 6sn7 as well?

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #5,900 of 14,518
😂😂😂 Well I was taken aback when I opened the box... "oh....my" 😂😂😂
I think I have that same cord if it’s from Amazon. Good cord without breaking the bank but stiff as hell, 😂

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #5,902 of 14,518
I was gonna ask the same thing if he was set on the 7236, the 7236 has gone up to 5998 numbers... at least the last listing I saw on Ebay, $200 for a 7236!?.. I remember when @bcowen was telling us to grab as many as we could when they were $30! You might get lucky here at Headfi selling thread, guys like myself will sometimes post tubes there. Etsy and Ebay, and a few online merchants mentioned a few pages back here on this thread is a good place to start looking for both them Tung Sols. I suggest grabbing a NOS GTB though, the "NEW" GTB are prone to hum issues. Anyways.... welcome to the Darkvoice thread.. saw ya on the HifiGuides Forum asking the same question.

Actually they were $25. :smile: Wish I'd bought 100 of them...they're doing better than my 401k. LOL! But those were actually Cetrons. Could have been made by Tung Sol for all I know though...

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #5,903 of 14,518
Yeah I don't know if I should be or not. I want the tubiest destored sound for classic rock and lofi. I have a my other setup for clean sound. I jsut want to see the other side of the spectrum for tubes

If you're wanting tubey-ness, then the 7236 would be my last choice, personally. I love the sound of it -- clean, fast, dynamic, but not what I'd describe as tubey sounding by any means. I'd suggest a Mullard 6080 that gets more into tube-ness without being syrupy or bass blobby.

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #5,904 of 14,518
If you're wanting tubey-ness, then the 7236 would be my last choice, personally. I love the sound of it -- clean, fast, dynamic, but not what I'd describe as tubey sounding by any means. I'd suggest a Mullard 6080 that gets more into tube-ness without being syrupy or bass blobby.
Awesome thanks. I guess I should have stated that I am trying to push my 6xx to a big sound stage. I want to feel like im at a concert with them and have been reading that the right tubes can do just that.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #5,905 of 14,518
Awesome thanks. I guess I should have stated that I am trying to push my 6xx to a big sound stage. I want to feel like im at a concert with them and have been reading that the right tubes can do just that.
your at the right place... most of us here own the 6xx

Jan 8, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #5,906 of 14,518
Jan 8, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #5,908 of 14,518

You may find more influence in that area with the input tube than the power tube, although both have an influence.

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #5,909 of 14,518
I can confirm the new production GTB Tung Sol has hum issues. This was the first tube I got a few days later after I bought my DV. Great tube for the price tbh but I had to let it sit ON for 2 days straight with the power tube out to make the hum go away. It's dead silent now

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #5,910 of 14,518
I was gonna ask the same thing if he was set on the 7236, the 7236 has gone up to 5998 numbers... at least the last listing I saw on Ebay, $200 for a 7236!?.. I remember when @bcowen was telling us to grab as many as we could when they were $30!
What?! I remember buying several of them for $35 a pop last year. Backup of backups, heh. You know how that goes. Damn. That ham radio guy must have ran out of his stock. Supply, ain't it a bitch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back