Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Apr 29, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #3,047 of 14,503
New guy checking in, got a Brimar CV1988 (6SN7GT) and Ken Rad VT-231 (staggered plates) for preamp tubes, RCA 6AS7G and Cetron 7236 for power tubes. Playing through some Massdrop HD 6xx headphones. DV 336se unmodded. Music player is Foobar2000 using a plug-in that introduces some cross-talk so it sounds more like speakers instead of completely separate channels. The term often used is 'binaural' but I didn't want to say it before saying what it does in this context, instead of some panned 436hz nonsense that connects you to the universe. Using this plug-in has resulted in an easier listening experience and more detail from music that I get on the same setup without it. Observations below:

Ken Rad VT-231: Someone on Drop said it took them up to 120 hours for this tube to be fully burned in, so I'll update when that finally happens. I'm currently 21 hours into the Ken Rad's burn-in. It's reduced from the initial hum and now specifically in the right ear, but it's annoying if there's any quiet passages. To properly evaluate the acclaimed bass extension of this tube (the word 'slammy' was used somewhere!) I've been listening to modern metal (Monuments, Periphery, Northlane, END, etc). Absolutely, there are some moments where the bass guitar or kick drum is like liquid audio into your ear-holes. Confirming that it's not flabby at all. There's a little bit of shout that I'm getting from this combination but could be fixed with burn-in. When paired with the 7236, I found it a little too lean in the middle and it separated the music in a way that I didn't particularly like, but this could be a symptom of the binaural plug-in. The pairing could also work better with more mellow music.

Brimar CV1988: Properly burned in, very little noise, balanced, enjoyable, bass doesn't go as low but it's a hair tighter because of it. I can see myself defaulting to using this if I'm not sure what'll pair with any given album or genre. With my limited experience, this paired with the RCA is just a good well-rounded combination. I haven't spent enough time with this paired with the 7236 yet as I'm semi desperate to make the VT-231 work but that's not how these things go haha. I'll likely use this combination with some John Mayer later.

Depending how tube rolling goes and how the Ken Rad sounds once it's sufficiently burned-in, I'm likely targeting a 5998 (shocker) or a Tung-Sol 6AS7 (not sure which specific version or other details yet, haven't done enough reading). I like the separation I get from the binaural plugin and think that I should be targeting a much richer, musical sounding tube. Wideness isn't necessary, but any sort of depth is welcome.

Apr 29, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #3,048 of 14,503
Hi new guy! You’ve got some nice stuff there! I think you’re on the right track with a higher end power tube as the next step.
Also, and the crew can correct me if I’m remembering wrong, but I believe a way to help remove the hum is to leave the 6sn7 in without a power tube to cook a bit.

Apr 30, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #3,049 of 14,503
Hi new guy! You’ve got some nice stuff there! I think you’re on the right track with a higher end power tube as the next step.
Also, and the crew can correct me if I’m remembering wrong, but I believe a way to help remove the hum is to leave the 6sn7 in without a power tube to cook a bit.

Thanks Denver! I've been cooking it for a bit but I've committed to just burning it in for a full 120 hours before listening again so I can stop with the guesswork and supply more data sooner rather than later. Come Monday morning I'll try again, but for now, I think I was a little too excited to share my findings. I only recently got the HD 6xx headphones and I haven't gotten accustomed to them yet, so a few days of listening through the headphone out of my Scarlett 2i4 will be good. I'm using it as the DAC for the DV, but I'm waiting for a Motu M4 to come in the mail to upgrade.

It looks like I'm also looking for 6080 Gold Brand. Anyone know the current market rate for these or a resource I can use to help determine that?

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #3,050 of 14,503
So i've tried using some isopropyl alcohol, and tightened the contacts a bit. When i used the pipe cleaner i felt some contacts a bit loose (maybe?) and i tightened until i felt the pipe brush felt better.

While the noise is still there, it's lower than it was before that's for sure. I didn't apply the alcohol directly but on the brush. Should i put it directly, then try putting in/out the tubes? (Without power, and discharged ofc).

Thank you a ton.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #3,052 of 14,503
So i've tried using some isopropyl alcohol, and tightened the contacts a bit. When i used the pipe cleaner i felt some contacts a bit loose (maybe?) and i tightened until i felt the pipe brush felt better.

While the noise is still there, it's lower than it was before that's for sure. I didn't apply the alcohol directly but on the brush. Should i put it directly, then try putting in/out the tubes? (Without power, and discharged ofc).

Thank you a ton.

I would certainly not pour the alcohol directly into the sockets (or amp). You're doing it correctly by dipping the pipe cleaner in the alcohol, and then rub it up and down inside the socket contacts. If the socket contacts are really dirty, you may need to do it more than once. Just repeat until the pipe cleaner comes out clean from each pin contact. Clean the pins on the tubes the same way -- pipe cleaner and alcohol. Dirty or corroded tube pins can be as problematic as a dirty socket. I usually clip the dirty end (1/2"?) off the pipe cleaner, re-alcohol it, use it for the next contact, clip off, etc. etc. until it gets too short to use. Reduces the number you go through even though they're cheap.

As far as re-tensioning, the pipe cleaner is not the best method for checking that. Put the tube in and make sure there's some decent resistance as you're inserting it. You'll get used to it by feel pretty quickly.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #3,053 of 14,503
I would certainly not pour the alcohol directly into the sockets (or amp). You're doing it correctly by dipping the pipe cleaner in the alcohol, and then rub it up and down inside the socket contacts. If the socket contacts are really dirty, you may need to do it more than once. Just repeat until the pipe cleaner comes out clean from each pin contact. Clean the pins on the tubes the same way -- pipe cleaner and alcohol. Dirty or corroded tube pins can be as problematic as a dirty socket. I usually clip the dirty end (1/2"?) off the pipe cleaner, re-alcohol it, use it for the next contact, clip off, etc. etc. until it gets too short to use. Reduces the number you go through even though they're cheap.

As far as re-tensioning, the pipe cleaner is not the best method for checking that. Put the tube in and make sure there's some decent resistance as you're inserting it. You'll get used to it by feel pretty quickly.

They seem clean to me honestly, but who knows. I'll try tomorrow as it's too late here, as well as the solder joints (with that later im a bit more confortable). See what pops.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #3,054 of 14,503
They seem clean to me honestly, but who knows. I'll try tomorrow as it's too late here, as well as the solder joints (with that later im a bit more confortable). See what pops.

Well if they're coming out with no visible discoloring, then they're clean. Of course I'm just assuming you're using white (or light colored) pipe cleaners...perhaps a bad assumption on my part?

May 1, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #3,056 of 14,503
Slowly getting there. Still waiting on parts in shipment.
EDIT: image scaled

HEADFI SCALE BOARD.jpg

Attachments

• HEADFI SCALE BOARD.jpg
    HEADFI SCALE BOARD.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #3,057 of 14,503
I've opened the amp up, and the only conclusion i can make (to my naked unexperienced eye), is that the socket nº 3 nearest to the volume control is a bit wobbly after comparing the other sockets with a wood stick gently. Other than that, i haven't seen anything standing out. Should i use a tiny bit of hot glue to hold it in place? Maybe an electric tape instead?

Edit: Tried holding in place the pin with electrical place so it wouldn't move. No results whatsoever, bubbly noise it's still there (It gets more noticeable the longer it runs).

Sigh. I thought of replacing the output caps, could that do anything at all? Recently we had a power spike that fried my PC PSU and my laptop charger... I fear it could have harmed something inside the amp itself too.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #3,058 of 14,503
Thanks Denver! I've been cooking it for a bit but I've committed to just burning it in for a full 120 hours before listening again so I can stop with the guesswork and supply more data sooner rather than later. Come Monday morning I'll try again, but for now, I think I was a little too excited to share my findings. I only recently got the HD 6xx headphones and I haven't gotten accustomed to them yet, so a few days of listening through the headphone out of my Scarlett 2i4 will be good. I'm using it as the DAC for the DV, but I'm waiting for a Motu M4 to come in the mail to upgrade.

It looks like I'm also looking for 6080 Gold Brand. Anyone know the current market rate for these or a resource I can use to help determine that?
You can find em low on ebay, be patient. Bought one for under $30 couple weeks ago.

May 1, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #3,059 of 14,503
The Beyerdynamic just arrived, and initial sound impressions, totally opposite of the Sennheiser HD6XX, almost Grado like... (not sure if I like that but...it's initial listen) yet some bass is extended. Have already eyed some thick leather DeKoni pads to tame some of the brightness (pre purchase). And curious how my warmest tubes will sound with these. These are somewhat underwhelming in build, made for kids? (stock), comfortable though, really comfortable. And the mids are not recessed here (these are reviewed as V shaped) not the case on the Darkness, I think the Darkness pushes the mids well.

Edit: I have a few tubes that I felt were a little dark for my Sennheiser. So the ideal of the Beyers was logical for me, the Yin and Yang to the Darkness. Mullard/Philips 6080 & Sylvania VT-99 compliment the DT770 well.

2020-05-01 12.04.41-1.jpg2020-05-01 12.02.32-1.jpg2020-05-01 11.57.53-1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back