Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Sep 26, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #2,402 of 14,511
How are you suggesting these be used in a DarkVoice? They aren’t equivalent to 6sn7g or 6as7 that I know of.
Oh oh .. hmmm, I'd have to take a closer look at that, thanks. Yeah, that was a huge misread on my part, thanks for the heads up, post deleted. I searched for 6SN7GT Foton on eBay and it lead me to that listing, the confusion is that it seems the 6N8S is the Russian equivalent to the 6SN7GT.. need to look deeper into that, I read it's a good bang for your buck tube.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #2,403 of 14,511
Oh oh .. hmmm, I'd have to take a closer look at that, thanks. Yeah, that was a huge misread on my part, thanks for the heads up, post deleted. I searched for 6SN7GT Foton on eBay and it lead me to that listing, the confusion is that it seems the 6N8S is the Russian equivalent to the 6SN7GT.. need to look deeper into that, I read it's a good bang for your buck tube.

Tube designations can make your head spin! Thanks for clearing that up.

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #2,404 of 14,511
You just saved me some $$$ thanks. oh, and look for RCA grey glass, they're not that expensive but sound expensive... what tubes do you have?

You're very welcome, mate! I do have RCA grey glass, since it's not been cleaned I haven't had a listen on it yet. Hopefully will have a listen to it shortly and will report back. I also got some other 6SN7 tubes, CBS GTB, GE GTA/GTB, Good Boy, TS GT/GTB, Brimar GT, Syl GT/GTA/GTB, etc.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #2,405 of 14,511
Ah yes, the snap, crackle, and pop that made me fear that the DV336 killed my HD6XX. Based on my limited experience, this happened with my Sylvania VT-99 (6F8G) and a NOS RCA '40s grey glass 6SN7GT. On the two occasions it happened with the VT-99, it was due to me plugging in my headphones ~2 mins after powering up the amp. With the NOS RCA, it was due to a bad tube (the arcing lights when turning the volume up and down looked pretty before I took that tube out) :triportsad:. Thereafter, I let the amp warm up ~10 minutes prior to plugging my cans into those old tubes. I read elsewhere that 6SN7GTA's and -GTB's should require less of a warm-up time. As for my HD6XX, they appear to fine (*knock on wood*). But yeah, the DV really make these cans sing.

So I think i found the culprit -- a combination of tubes going bad causing my issues. Mainly it was the power tube going bad? Because I plugged in three others (TS 7236, JAN RCA 6AS7, 6H13C) and i no longer have issues -- well i also tried plugging in that radiocoin 68FG thinking it was the adapter. The adapter is fine -- but that tube started rattling and then i see this when i turn it upside down (like a loose glass shard) see below. Anyone know maybe this is from the base part that I cant see ? It's hard to tell where it came from. Anyways, two tubes scratched. RIP. Better the tubes than the amp -- or my damn headphones!!! :astonished:

tubebroke.jpg

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #2,406 of 14,511
I remember I read somewhere before that glass shard inside tubes could happen during the manufacturing process, thou not so often, but it's OK as glass is non-conductor, so it shouldn't short anything.

Just make sure to land it on the base where there is no metal around it.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #2,407 of 14,511
I remember I read somewhere before that glass shard inside tubes could happen during the manufacturing process, thou not so often, but it's OK as glass is non-conductor, so it shouldn't short anything.

Just make sure to land it on the base where there is no metal around it.

Good point -- I'll have to keep that in mind, thanks. Granted, i cant see down to the bottom of the base since its chromed out. But also, i tried that tube against a working power tube and its causing snap/crackle too, though not as bad as the power tube that crapped out on me. I came to the amateur conclusion that they are not worth it.

Maybe my solid state amp did it. It hasn't received any play since the DV. I dug it back out of the box again today to have something working until i figured it all out. :beyersmile:

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #2,408 of 14,511
Good point -- I'll have to keep that in mind, thanks. Granted, i cant see down to the bottom of the base since its chromed out. But also, i tried that tube against a working power tube and its causing snap/crackle too, though not as bad as the power tube that crapped out on me. I came to the amateur conclusion that they are not worth it.

Maybe my solid state amp did it. It hasn't received any play since the DV. I dug it back out of the box again today to have something working until i figured it all out. :beyersmile:
lol! I feel the frustraTION..:D Could be just the pins are dirty, had snap crackle pop going on with the Tung Sol 7236 and almost tossed it thinking I had a dud.. after some psts on the 6AS7g thread I was talked into tjust cleaning, scraping, the pins at the bottom, that did the trick for me, last resort copy and pasted from @cddc post on that thread " if cleansing the pins does not solve the problem, you can try reflowing the solder joints by heating up the pins with a soldering ion - be careful not to burn the plastic tube base thou".

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #2,409 of 14,511
lol! I feel the frustraTION..:D Could be just the pins are dirty, had snap crackle pop going on with the Tung Sol 7236 and almost tossed it thinking I had a dud.. after some psts on the 6AS7g thread I was talked into tjust cleaning, scraping, the pins at the bottom, that did the trick for me, last resort copy and pasted from @cddc post on that thread " if cleansing the pins does not solve the problem, you can try reflowing the solder joints by heating up the pins with a soldering ion - be careful not to burn the plastic tube base thou".

Really? Is that possible being that my power tube has been in my amp and in use for several weeks with no issue? I chalked it up because I bought that tube from a seller I have not previously bought from (I usually just get from trusted sources) and figured maybe he just sold be a bum tube, or one that was just happen to give out for some reason. But yeah, I guess I should give the pins a scrubbing next time just for the hell of it.

Sep 27, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #2,410 of 14,511
1950's Marconi 6CG7 Black Plate Tube ...just got the adapter.. (waiting on it for 2 weeks) and on initial listen will chalk this one up as another super airy tube.. up there with the 7n7 - 6F8G tubes.. might have a comparison write up this weekend :)
2019-09-27 11.54.22.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #2,412 of 14,511
1950's Marconi 6CG7 Black Plate Tube ...just got the adapter.. (waiting on it for 2 weeks) and on initial listen will chalk this one up as another super airy tube.. up there with the 7n7 - 6F8G tubes.. might have a comparison write up this weekend :)
Hi sorry to jump in ,newbie I just bought a used DarkVoice 336se not received yet
and I've just bought a pair of Tung-Sol 6SN7 GTB NOS (1 spare) upgrade
Can you please suggest the other missing valve to add to complete I'm using Sennheiser HD650 headphones , indeed to brighten them up top end I'm lost with all the names codes etc I need help
Please ,What can u say I'm old ,regards and hi to all from SouthWales

Sep 30, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #2,413 of 14,511
Hi sorry to jump in ,newbie I just bought a used DarkVoice 336se not received yet
Can you please suggest the other missing valve to add to complete I'm using Sennheiser HD650 headphones , indeed to brighten them up top end I'm lost with all the names codes etc I need help
Sylvania 7236 plays really well with the Tung Sol and Sennheiser headphones.

Sep 30, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #2,414 of 14,511

Even better if you can find a tung sol 7236.

@JKDJedi im surprised you did not suggest this?

Sep 30, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #2,415 of 14,511
Even better if you can find a tung sol 7236.

@JKDJedi im surprised you did not suggest this?
I like the Sylvania 7236 with the Tung Sol Tubes. Almost prefer them with the Tung Sol tubes, especially the Tung Sol 6SN7GTB. If he plans on tube rolling, which he most likely will then yeah, the Tung Sol 7236 would be a better buy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back