Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Dec 23, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #5,446 of 14,501
Most of us here (thanks too @bcowen ) have jumped on the 6J5 bandwagon for the HUGE sound that comes out of these little known cost efficient tubes. For a tenth of the price of the Holy Grail triple digit 6SN7 tubes... you get the same, (some would argue surpassed) sonics. Just this week @Slade01 and I received tubes under or at $10 that we both are astounded on the output of these tubes. With the one 6J5 adapter that we grabbed from @Deyan we're able to roll 6J5, 6C5, L63, and 6L5 tubes. @therremans has an impressive collection of these tubes. I keep saying I'm getting rid of my 6sn7 tubes..I'm very close to that..
Nice, that's exciting. Does @Deyan still sell the adapters?

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #5,448 of 14,501
Also what in the name of all that's holy is this @Slade01 ?

11385746.jpg

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #5,450 of 14,501
Also what in the name of all that's holy is this @Slade01 ?

As @JKDJedi mentioned - the front tubes are GEC L63. In the rear, i'm using a dual A2293 (CV4079) to a 6AS7 adapter. I had two GEC CV4079 in the rear.

I did this to test out whether or not we could have an alternative and more inexpensive path to running GEC tubes. GEC L63s are a more affordable option for GEC drivers as well as getting 2x GEC CV4079 at a fraction of the price of a GEC 6AS7G.

As it turns out, running either adapters on its own is fine. But running both adapters at the same time causes significant hum/feedback.****Disclaimer, that is only the first try doing this, and hopefully other members will test this as well to see what is causing this. I can only initially report that this is what happened from the first run/try. Also had an issue with the adapter, that may or may not have influence on this - I dont have enough information and working with others to compare notes and figure it out!******

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #5,451 of 14,501
As @JKDJedi mentioned - the front tubes are GEC L63. In the rear, i'm using a dual A2293 (CV4079) to a 6AS7 adapter. I had two GEC CV4079 in the rear.

I did this to test out whether or not we could have an alternative and more inexpensive path to running GEC tubes. GEC L63s are a more affordable option for GEC drivers as well as getting 2x GEC CV4079 at a fraction of the price of a GEC 6AS7G.

As it turns out, running either adapters on its own is fine. But running both adapters at the same time causes significant hum/feedback.
I meant to ask about those CV4079 tubes, what's the sound like out of those? and what's your go to driver when rolling them? a few of us (here) have had problems with that set up so have no idea what that sound is like from these tubes.

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #5,452 of 14,501

As it turns out, running either adapters on its own is fine. But running both adapters at the same time causes significant hum/feedback.
Gotcha, thank you. So you have two adapters, one that is dual-6J5-to-6SN7 and one that's dual-A2293-to-6AS7? Which one do you think you'll keep running more, since the hum issue with both is a thing?

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #5,454 of 14,501
Gotcha, thank you. So you have two adapters, one that is dual-6J5-to-6SN7 and one that's dual-A2293-to-6AS7? Which one do you think you'll keep running more, since the hum issue with both is a thing?
It isn't that they aren't compatible, it might be an adapter issue so keep an open mind if you ever wanted to try it out one day. We don't want to make conclusions with one test sample, you know?

I am waiting on my adapter to get re-wired and I will try this out again one day. I will let you know when I find the cause and how to fix it.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #5,455 of 14,501
This sudden interest in fans for the tube amp reminds me that my Oblivion has a big, silent fan built in and mounted at the bottom. It is so quiet I don't notice it but the amp is sure kept very cool. Btw I still haven't set of on the journey home for Christmas. Will be doing so this morning. :)

IMG_1549.jpg

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #5,457 of 14,501
I meant to ask about those CV4079 tubes, what's the sound like out of those? and what's your go to driver when rolling them? a few of us (here) have had problems with that set up so have no idea what that sound is like from these tubes.

Between the two, there is more versatility obviously with the dual 6j5 adapter. You can run at least two different variants with 6J5 and 6C5 at the minimum that i am aware of. And obviously, with each type, there are more possibility of attaining and parsing out different sounds. With the dual A2293, you're pretty much just limited to that. There are not many if at all of this type. You're stuck with the one. If you have alot of regular 6SN7 or single adapter type (though so far i've only tried a 7N7 to 6SN7) with the dual A2293, then you would have a power tube that probably begins to start to approach the sound of the holy grail GEC curved brown base. But for a fraction of the price, you can get the GEC sound.

*About the hum issue - we will be revisiting this again, and its unfair to write it off at this point - its only the first try. With this, there was an issue with the adapter, so both myself and some others will probably try again and compare notes, because in theory, everything is within spec and should work. So stay tuned.

@JKDJedi to answer your question - I have not had much time at all with the CV4079. There was an issue with the adapter, and of which since Deyan has fixed and will be sending out. I only had about 30 mins of listening time on them. Sound is like a very refined type of sound. Nice tone and clarity (brings out details), but leaner on the bass. I can only say with definite assertion that its on par with the GEC 6080 that I have. Too early for me to say how much better the CV4079 is. Generally, I've heard people rate it between the GEC6080 and the GEC 6AS7G, but where it falls in the middle is probably anyones guess depending on their rig. Hopefully once I get the adapter, I can spend more time, but havent really gone down the path of finding good pairings.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #5,458 of 14,501
That's gonna look so sick...with LED lighting please!!!

Sure. That's my DV336se - modified of course. Will drive ANY headphones. That's kept under the desk though.
IMG_0860.jpg

On the desk I like a clean desk policy. Notice the absence of tubes? Btw that's my best headphone - Axis Voicebox S.
IMG_1576.jpg

Where are you @HeatFan12 ? Don't take another 8 years hiatus. :wink:

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #5,459 of 14,501
It isn't that they aren't compatible, it might be an adapter issue so keep an open mind if you ever wanted to try it out one day. We don't want to make conclusions with one test sample, you know?

@DeweyCH - yes @therremans is right. my attempt is just in the beginning. he and many others here are super technically savvy and in time can probably figure it out. truth be told, we cannot draw conclusions from just one try. i also had an issue with the adapter, and hopefully will get a fixed version in time, and can reattempt to try this again, as well, as compare with other users who plan on trying this. so stay tuned....

otherwise, tube rolling is all about synergy. good to have options in both power and driver....you never know what combo will just make that music really shine. it gives your system more versatility.

I am waiting on my adapter to get re-wired and I will try this out again one day. I will let you know when I find the cause and how to fix it.

And sounds good -- it would be really cool to be able to run it all concurrently. My DV is super stock so maybe it doesnt have the chops as it is. I just have a feeling some type of mod is going to fix this issue somehow. I guess time will tell. But thank you so much for your contributions. I'm gonna go back to those pot pictures you had up so that I don't completely melt something in the DV when I attempt surgery over the break. LOL. :sweat_smile: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #5,460 of 14,501

The whole mystery with tha A2293's has been solved.
It turns out that only newer tubes have the pins wired like shown in the datasheet ( and have duplicate and even triplicates for the cathode and anode).
The older tubes do not have the duplicate pins. That's what was causing the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back