Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Nov 24, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #4,831 of 14,502
Nov 24, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #4,832 of 14,502
I just saw this listing from my email.
New old stock - used burnt trash.

Q: Can I send it back to Bendix for repair?
A: Museum?

:smile: :smile: :smile:

There's an Ebay seller (don't remember his name) that continually lists tubes as "refurbished." I sent him a message a while back asking him exactly what refurbished meant when it came to a tube: "We clean them and test them." OK, whatever. I think Ebay has more shysters per square inch than any other internet entity, and they do absolutely *nothing* to monitor or eject them.

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #4,833 of 14,502
I gave one away couple weeks ago (kept one for myself) and wow..$15. You never cease to amaze me with these bargain hunts.. who sold you that tube for $15?

The guy you gave that one to a couple weeks ago. :laughing::smile::sweat_smile:

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #4,834 of 14,502
The guy you gave that one to a couple weeks ago. :laughing::smile::sweat_smile:
He's probably using it for target practice.. :D
giphy.gif

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #4,835 of 14,502
Anyone looking for a regular Tung Sol 6080 - there is one up here: Link Maybe be able to haggle make him an offer. Is untested?

I told him to put up pics of the actual tube instead of just the stupid a** box. So he did at least. Because, yeah, i want to plunker down cash sight unseen. I need to see what's behind door #3 before i blindly throw money at someone...

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #4,836 of 14,502
Anyone looking for a regular Tung Sol 6080 - there is one up here: Link Maybe be able to haggle make him an offer. Is untested?

I told him to put up pics of the actual tube instead of just the stupid a** box. So he did at least. Because, yeah, i want to plunker down cash sight unseen. I need to see what's behind door #3 before i blindly throw money at someone...
Those are nice, probably the widest soundstage of them all (6080), surprised to hear myself type that.. O.O They do have that tubey sound going for them more so in the mid range area, not in the lows like the RCA 6as7g do. I could be wrong.. been awhile since I rolled this tube. Same tube as the Chatham 6080.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #4,837 of 14,502

Will an 'Elecrtinic' tube work in the Darkvoice? Can't say I have any... :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously, that is the 'good' TungSol 6080 with the metal wing mica supports.

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #4,838 of 14,502
Will an 'Elecrtinic' tube work in the Darkvoice? Can't say I have any... :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously, that is the 'good' TungSol 6080 with the metal wing mica supports.

Well, I just found out that the seller (sounds like a kid) who is only used to dealing with selling trading cards - he's selling vacuum tubes that were his (grand?)father's who passed away. He actually thanked for me asking him to put up pics of the actual tube because he's trying to learn how to sell them better. So go figure. But yeah, if this tube measures good, is better than alot of the other 6080 options out there, but a risk since it is untested.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #4,839 of 14,502
Well, I just found out that the seller (sounds like a kid) who is only used to dealing with selling trading cards - he's selling vacuum tubes that were his (grand?)father's who passed away. He actually thanked for me asking him to put up pics of the actual tube because he's trying to learn how to sell them better. So go figure. But yeah, if this tube measures good, is better than alot of the other 6080 options out there, but a risk since it is untested.

And better than the tube I just got. In one hour I've gone from Tube Whisperer to Tube Expletive-Utterer. :laughing: Got the Bendix 6080 that @therremans (wisely) returned to the seller, and it has almost a dead short in one triode. Resoldering the pins has helped a couple other tubes with similar afflictions, but not this one. Oh well. Win some, lose some, and this one sadly goes in the loss column.

Hickok and Weston both show a near short between cathode and grid on one triode. The meter needle on both testers should remain to the left of the 5M (5 megohm) mark (preferably), and certainly to the left of the 3M mark. Bad, bad tube. :disappointed::sob:

Hickok Bendix.jpg

Weston Bendix.jpg

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #4,840 of 14,502
And better than the tube I just got. In one hour I've gone from Tube Whisperer to Tube Expletive-Utterer. :laughing: Got the Bendix 6080 that @therremans (wisely) returned to the seller, and it has almost a dead short in one triode. Resoldering the pins has helped a couple other tubes with similar afflictions, but not this one. Oh well. Win some, lose some, and this one sadly goes in the loss column.

Hickok and Weston both show a near short between cathode and grid on one triode. The meter needle on both testers should remain to the left of the 5M (5 megohm) mark (preferably), and certainly to the left of the 3M mark. Bad, bad tube. :disappointed::sob:

Hickok Bendix.jpg

Weston Bendix.jpg
Oh bummer! I was hoping you’d make it at least useable. Well there’s always the museum.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #4,841 of 14,502

Hickok Bendix.jpg

Weston Bendix.jpg
estupids!!

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #4,842 of 14,502
Oh bummer! I was hoping you’d make it at least useable. Well there’s always the museum.

I'm trying to find that guy on Ebay. Perhaps he can 'refurbish' it for me. :sweat_smile: Or maybe I should put it up for auction on Ebay. As-is, no returns, and see what happens. At times, it would pay to be sleazy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #4,843 of 14,502
I am considering these 10uf caps - ClarityCaps

7D780B03-66C3-4FB9-BA1C-38B8A89CBB29.jpeg

10uF 250Vdc, CSA Series, Metalized Polypropylene Film Capacitor +/- 3% Tolerance

Features:
  • Guaranteed 3% tolerance
  • The end product of 2 years of research
  • Tightly packed windings that reduce resonances
  • Compact, inexpensive form factor
  • Unique build process with embedded copper lattice that reduces resistance and grain boundaries
  • PDF Datasheet

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #4,844 of 14,502

10uF 250Vdc, CSA Series, Metalized Polypropylene Film Capacitor +/- 3% Tolerance

Features:
  • Unique build process with embedded copper lattice that reduces resistance and grain boundaries
  • PDF Datasheet

Those are really good caps, but you're going to need a big shoehorn. :laughing: Lengthwise they can probably be made to fit (1/8" longer than the stock caps), but 3 of them side by side (per channel) will take 4.25" and the stock caps only take 2". I don't think you want to go with any less total capacitance (ie: fewer caps), as I've been told that more capacitance there would be better than even the stock 30 uF/channel.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #4,845 of 14,502

7D780B03-66C3-4FB9-BA1C-38B8A89CBB29.jpeg

Features:
  • PDF Datasheet
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back