Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Nov 23, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #4,786 of 14,501
Just curious what is the longevity of this amp? One guy can sell me a 3 old one. He says it was barely used, and yet I see a guitar in the background.
What would be a fair price for it, assuming he paid 220USD for it? Also, is it a good idea to buy a second-hand amp (might have to replace tubes right away for it).

Guitar should have little bearing as Darkvoice is a headphone amp. *My Opinion* -- Three years old - i would say 150 dollars, and figure you will have to pay 20-25 for shipping due to weight unless you are picking it up local.

On head-fi, amps and gears are sold daily - at least here people seem to really take care of their gear. I have bought second-hand amps and have had no issues - barely used as advertised in my cases.

If you are buying a tube amp, you will most certainly at one point buy another set of tubes for it if only out of curiosity (or want of a different sound) or to have a spare set if your tubes happen to stop working.

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #4,787 of 14,501
Just curious what is the longevity of this amp? One guy can sell me a 3 old one. He says it was barely used, and yet I see a guitar in the background.
What would be a fair price for it, assuming he paid 220USD for it? Also, is it a good idea to buy a second-hand amp (might have to replace tubes right away for it).
Yes good guitar amplifier as I play guitar through mine as well (famous) and I am not to be trusted as I am b'crupted. what is longevity of anything? it is unknown but this amp i know it is 3 years or so simply do not buy it is not to be used ever again.

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #4,788 of 14,501
I may about to say something sacrilege, but I am liking the cheap metal tubes better. Was rolling both the Sylvania 6J5GTs and these Philco Metal 6J5. They Sylvanias are solid all around tubes: they are non fatiguing and do everything solid (nothing that particularly stands out). But to me that strength is its weakness: they sound boring when compared to these metal tubes - which sound more alive and musical (nice sub bass delivery also). YMMV as always but - don't underestimate these cheapy metal tubes. LOL.

My first date with metal tubes were not good (tung sol 6j5) but I've been hearing a lot of good things about these (other) guys. should I give them another chance? (Particularly the 6C5 tin cans but maybe I should try another batch of 6j5 instead). Edit: well you guys twistedmy arm again.. giving another set of cheap tin cans a spin, see how this batch sounds like when they get here. :) (RCA)
IMG_20200819_103051.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #4,789 of 14,501
I may about to say something sacrilege, but I am liking the cheap metal tubes better. Was rolling both the Sylvania 6J5GTs and these Philco Metal 6J5. They Sylvanias are solid all around tubes: they are non fatiguing and do everything solid (nothing that particularly stands out). But to me that strength is its weakness: they sound boring when compared to these metal tubes - which sound more alive and musical (nice sub bass delivery also). YMMV as always but - don't underestimate these cheapy metal tubes. LOL.

I believe you, an opinion in audio should never be considered sacrilege. The endless combinations with power tubes, tube manufacturers variances, headphones, amp modifications, the music choice used, preferences, etc. You are always bound to find something unexpecting or goes against someone's opinion.

The only metal cans I own are the Tung-Sol 6C5s, they are nice too.. balanced, neutral, warm but quite solid-state sounding, Definitely more “meh” than my Sylvania's or almost any tubes I own and the reason why my 6c5s just don't get used. They aren’t bad they just aren’t as exciting or moving.

0F58C3A8-3441-4813-AE87-E996A6DA6DBE.jpeg
I had read somewhere that the 6J5s didn't sound as good as the 6C5 and avoided them when trying out the metal tubes. Clearly a blanket statement made by someone who knew everything there was to know. I will look for these Philco's to try out, (I think they look cool!).

Yeah the Sylvanias are all around balanced but quite punchy in the midrange, without being on the slow side... balanced yet powerful... I love their sound. However, again it very much depends on the power tube. They don't really lack anything.

But a question, do you own the gray or black plate version? I really preferred the gray plates and never put the black plates back in.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #4,790 of 14,501
I believe you, an opinion in audio should never be considered sacrilege. The endless combinations with power tubes, tube manufacturers variances, headphones, amp modifications, the music choice used, preferences, etc. You are always bound to find something unexpecting or goes against someone's opinion.

The only metal cans I own are the Tung-Sol 6C5s, they are nice too.. balanced, neutral, warm but quite solid-state sounding, Definitely more “meh” than my Sylvania's or almost any tubes I own and the reason why my 6c5s just don't get used. They aren’t bad they just aren’t as exciting or moving.

I had read somewhere that the 6J5s didn't sound as good as the 6C5 and avoided them when trying out the metal tubes. Clearly a blanket statement made by someone who knew everything there was to know. I will look for these Philco's to try out, (I think they look cool!).

Yeah the Sylvanias are all around balanced but quite punchy in the midrange, without being on the slow side... balanced yet powerful... I love their sound. However, again it very much depends on the power tube. They don't really lack anything.

But a question, do you own the gray or black plate version? I really preferred the gray plates and never put the black plates back in.
Right now it's hard for me to imagine tin cans as musical or anything pleasant for the long listen, could be just my pair, and yup read the same that 6C5 are the ones to look for but @Slade01 here may have found the pair to look for! Philco (Sylvania?) 6J5. 🙂
and I have yet had a chance to A n B the Sylvania 6J5GT regular black plates against the military ones, might do that when the RCA get in.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #4,791 of 14,501

0F58C3A8-3441-4813-AE87-E996A6DA6DBE.jpeg

I have the gray plate version. And ironically, I wonder if these Philco Metal Tubes are also Sylvania. I have yet to figure out the codes on these tubes.
You're right about the power tubes. Normally, i'd switch to a 7236 (running a GB-6080 at the moment), but I don't have the 7236 tubes anymore. I guess its time for me to pony up for that 5998 and call it a day.....

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #4,792 of 14,501
I have the gray plate version. And ironically, I wonder if these Philco Metal Tubes are also Sylvania. I have yet to figure out the codes on these tubes.
You're right about the power tubes. Normally, i'd switch to a 7236 (running a GB-6080 at the moment), but I don't have the 7236 tubes anymore. I guess its time for me to pony up for that 5998 and call it a day.....
it is your destiny....

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #4,793 of 14,501
Ah that could be the problem. I do think the Sylvania’s pair best with the 5998 or 7236, sorry to say. :ksc75smile: Just not as good of a match with a mullard. And I am not someone who usually prefers the 5998 with all of my tubes.

However if the output tube is more mid-focused, it balances out well and the 5998 or 7236 gives the Sylvania’s an edge and clears up the midrange, gives a clearer low and high end. 7236 speeds things up but the 5998 has more low end. Just like you’d expect. They pair very well with either.. However, they also sound great with the Bendix graphite plates.

Edit: If you want a more detailed a low end, try to get a graphite 6080 over the 5998. I’ve been more about the bass in the last couple months and have been using my 5998/7236 much less.

3A4EB411-242E-483A-9553-CB95E9DE22BE.jpeg

And I have yet had a chance to A n B the Sylvania 6J5GT regular black plates against the military ones, might do that when the RCA get in.
Please do today if you can.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #4,794 of 14,501
My first date with metal tubes were not good (tung sol 6j5) but I've been hearing a lot of good things about these (other) guys. should I give them another chance? (Particularly the 6C5 tin cans but maybe I should try another batch of 6j5 instead). Edit: well you guys twistedmy arm again.. giving another set of cheap tin cans a spin, see how this batch sounds like when they get here. :) (RCA)
IMG_20200819_103051.jpg

These KenRad 6C5's sound quite nice. I've been thinking about mounting an orange LED behind them so they glow. :laughing:

6C5 Kenrad Pair.jpg

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #4,795 of 14,501
Nov 23, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #4,796 of 14,501
I just ordered the DV 336se! I'm using Beyerdynamic DT1990s with both balanced and analytical pads. I'm starting my tube collection journey. Right now, I just picked up a NOS RCA Black Plate 6as7g and NOS GE 6sn7gtb. And am also looking online for NOS Tung-Sol 5998/7236 an NOS Tung Sol 6sn7s.

I picked up a GE 6sn7gtb because it was my clear favorite preamp tube I heard on Zeos's Darkvoice Tube rolling video. It was bright, lively, forward and full punchy bass, yet smooth and not strident.

Does anybody recommend some solid Power tube pairings with this GE 6sn7gtb? I picked up the Rca 6as7g black plate (which seems to be a solid starting power tube), but am willing to take suggestions on other tubes to try. I'm worried that this pairing might be too bright given some other comments about the Rca 6as7g being a bright wide and lively tube, wheres some say it's a balanced to even warm sounding tube.

Overall, I'm looking for an output that isn't too dark maybe a little dark, but is punchy and lively and engaging, I do tend to like treble bite as long as it's not strident.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #4,797 of 14,501
I just ordered the DV 336se! I'm using Beyerdynamic DT1990s with both balanced and analytical pads. I'm starting my tube collection journey. Right now, I just picked up a NOS RCA Black Plate 6as7g and NOS GE 6sn7gtb. And am also looking online for NOS Tung-Sol 5998/7236 an NOS Tung Sol 6sn7s.

I picked up a GE 6sn7gtb because it was my clear favorite preamp tube I heard on Zeos's Darkvoice Tube rolling video. It was bright, lively, forward and full punchy bass, yet smooth and not strident.

Does anybody recommend some solid Power tube pairings with this GE 6sn7gtb? I picked up the Rca 6as7g black plate (which seems to be a solid starting power tube), but am willing to take suggestions on other tubes to try. I'm worried that this pairing might be too bright given some other comments about the Rca 6as7g being a bright wide and lively tube, wheres some say it's a balanced to even warm sounding tube.

Overall, I'm looking for an output that isn't too dark maybe a little dark, but is punchy and lively and engaging, I do tend to like treble bite as long as it's not strident.
welcome to the thread, those power tubes you picked up should be plenty good for what your after. one if them will hit the sweet spot. Congrats. 👍

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #4,800 of 14,501
it is your destiny....

@JKDJedi by the way - those 5998 on ebay from japan mostly test around 50gm mark (40 is the minimum). So they seem to be on the fair side of testing. My gut instinct was right on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back