Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jul 31, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #3,707 of 14,516
In the Incubus amp, I've been really enjoying the combo of the Mullard 6080 with a pair of round plate Tung Sol 6J5's. Yup, need an adapter for those...

I'm avoiding adapters for now. I was kind of traumatized by adapters with my old Little Dot

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #3,708 of 14,516
Jul 31, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #3,710 of 14,516
Breaking in a new DAC for the Darkvoice...😁
Topping D30. (VT-99 & 67' 6H13C Winged C)
IMG_20200731_104355.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #3,711 of 14,516
Boy, you decided to spend it now. :)

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #3,712 of 14,516
Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #3,713 of 14,516
Breaking in a new DAC for the Darkvoice...😁
Topping D30. (VT-99 & 67' 6H13C Winged C)
IMG_20200731_104355.jpg
D30. Nice choice. I've been quite happy with mine. Just wish it had a minimal display showing what sample rate it's running ATM - I'm a tad neurotic about things like that

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #3,714 of 14,516
D30. Nice choice. I've been quite happy with mine. Just wish it had a minimal display showing what sample rate it's running ATM - I'm a tad neurotic about things like that
same..almost got the D10 just for that.. you should be able to pop up the driver logo (PC10) and check your sampling rate there..(only mine at the moment is showing I'm unconnected, maybe another reboot? Could be Tidals Exclusive mode..but that shouldn't bother anything, gonna try a reboot real quick))

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #3,715 of 14,516
Do you feel a lot of difference between the DACs? I feel very little difference between my MODI multibit ($ 250) and my MODI 3 ($ 99).

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #3,716 of 14,516
Do you feel a lot of difference between the DACs? I feel very little difference between my MODI multibit ($ 250) and my MODI 3 ($ 99).
Modi 3 is rated high on review (compared to other DACs in same price range), and yes I can tell the difference in DACs. Mostly in stage presence and vocals. I'm debating right now wether to get the RME DAC or a nice set of headphones. Won't happen till my birthday though. (Next year)

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #3,717 of 14,516
same..almost got the D10 just for that.. you should be able to pop up the driver logo (PC10) and check your sampling rate there..(only mine at the moment is showing I'm unconnected, maybe another reboot? Could be Tidals Exclusive mode..but that shouldn't bother anything, gonna try a reboot real quick))

I'm kind of looking at the e30. Has a display, theoretically should be an audible upgrade from the d30. I just don't like that it doesn't have a dedicated power supply.
Also looking at the zen dac, but I'd probably wait to see how the feedback on the MD version goes first.

Modi 3 is rated high on review (compared to other DACs in same price range), and yes I can tell the difference in DACs. Mostly in stage presence and vocals. I'm debating right now wether to get the RME DAC or a nice set of headphones. Won't happen till my birthday though. (Next year)

Personally, I'd go for the headphones. Most likely will make a bigger impact on sq than a dac would.
…or you could just put the money into modding the beejeezus out of the Darkvoice:ksc75smile:

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #3,718 of 14,516
I'm kind of looking at the e30. Has a display, theoretically should be an audible upgrade from the d30. I just don't like that it doesn't have a dedicated power supply.
Also looking at the zen dac, but I'd probably wait to see how the feedback on the MD version goes first.

Personally, I'd go for the headphones. Most likely will make a bigger impact on sq than a dac would.
…or you could just put the money into modding the beejeezus out of the Darkvoice:ksc75smile:
😂😂😂 Yes mod it to the bones... What little I did to it really opened her up. The easy USB out was supposed to take some type of negative energy out of the equation, which it did, simple disconnect. And to tighten up things a bit on the 6SN7 socket, instead of the Fitz Mod, (which involved soddering better resistors in place of what's there) I went with the LED Mod.. instead of resistors, use LED. Something about current only able to travel one way with LEDs so anything negative got cancelled out. Something like that.. all I knew was that if done it would result in a cleaner sound. It worked. 😁 Retained the deep bass and warmth of the Darkvoice with added clarity and stage presence.
IMG_20200711_164947.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #3,720 of 14,516
😂😂😂 Yes mod it to the bones... What little I did to it really opened her up. The easy USB out was supposed to take some type of negative energy out of the equation, which it did, simple disconnect. And to tighten up things a bit on the 6SN7 socket, instead of the Fitz Mod, (which involved soddering better resistors in place of what's there) I went with the LED Mod.. instead of resistors, use LED. Something about current only able to travel one way with LEDs so anything negative got cancelled out. Something like that.. all I knew was that if done it would result in a cleaner sound. It worked. 😁 Retained the deep bass and warmth of the Darkvoice with added clarity and stage presence.
IMG_20200711_164947.jpg

Self-modded amps always sound better even if they don't.

J/K.... :) :)

I've modded practically every amp, preamp, and speaker I've had until recently. Haven't attempted mods on any of my Schiit stuff, and I have an amp now that starts with an 'I' and it would likely piss off its creator if I even looked inside. So I'm being a good boy, 'cause I promised. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back