Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jun 18, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #3,497 of 14,543
Not the sexiest setup 🤣 and I get the separation now. Interesting. And don't grab these generic sounding tubes. Unless your into tin cans of course.

I get what your saying now, most consumers just wanting to get their feet wet, like myself, into Tube amplifiers, will start out with the cheapest option they can get into.Me personally having done my research, found the Darkvoice to be that perfect introduction to the world of Tube Amplifiers. And since I already owned the Sennheiser HD6XX/650 it was a no brainer picking an OTL design.

maybe you can answer me now. :)

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #3,498 of 14,543
So...how you gonna keep two amps and 274 new tubes separate as far as listening evaluations? I'm already in awe at the task in front of you. :)
Shooting from the hip on this one. I was just sitting there, for half hour, looking at everything, wondering, what did I get myself into! 😂

I'm almost done with picking a winner or at least lining them up from my personal preferences. There's only one tube in there that is easily at the bottom. The other three, depending on which headphones and amp and power tube....could go either way!

Maybe I'm almost NOT done.

Gonna side step from tube picking this morning and compare the two amps with favorite tubes of mine and enjoy some jazz.

@SHIMACM I'm sorry what question did you want me to answer?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #3,499 of 14,543
Shooting from the hip on this one. I was just sitting there, for half hour, looking at everything, wondering, what did I get myself into! 😂

I'm almost done with picking a winner or at least lining them up from my personal preferences. There's only one tube in there that is easily at the bottom. The other three, depending on which headphones and amp and power tube....could go either way!

Maybe I'm almost NOT done.

Gonna side step from tube picking this morning and compare the two amps with favorite tubes of mine and enjoy some jazz.

@SHIMACM I'm sorry what question did you want me to answer?

Edit: So the one tube that I've been forcing myself to like but kinda don't really like this tube (I do but just not overly hyped about it like I use to be, still a good tube), we all have one, This tube is herald among many as THE TUBE, and I've gotten a few different copies of this tube and they all sounded boring compared to other in it's "must have range" It's older sibling VT231 which is said to be not that great compared to this 1950's version, to my ears sounds more lifelike and lush in it's delivery. Anyway, rambling again, what I'm curious and about to find out, if it was my amp this whole time! I'm gonna roll this tube with 5998 to back him up and see what this Bad Boy sounds like on the Incubus this morning.

The question is which has the best performance: Incubus with modest tubes or Darkvoice with premiun tubes?

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #3,501 of 14,543
Just in!!! Stoked!!!! My Minions got here early and the Russia wit Love Sensation!!
IMG_20200618_141844.jpgIMG_20200618_135851.jpg

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #3,502 of 14,543
Well, not sure. I will say this, my premium tubes can go with me to another amp and still be premium. The modest ones, well they're still modest wherever I go.

Is cutting out the pre the MOD that gives more effect in Darkvoice? If so, do you know where I can look how to do it?

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #3,503 of 14,543
Is cutting out the pre the MOD that gives more effect in Darkvoice? If so, do you know where I can look how to do it?
I'll do some research on that and if there's none I'll make one for you. Load it up on YouTube to share. I have a trip out of town tomorrow but will try to have it done before Sunday.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #3,504 of 14,543
I'll do some research on that and if there's none I'll make one for you. Load it up on YouTube to share. I have a trip out of town tomorrow but will try to have it done before Sunday.

Okay my friend. Unhurried. Was the improvement considerable in your case?

Jun 18, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #3,505 of 14,543
Have you seen this video comparing Darkvoice with Woo Wa22?

If what is in the video is true, it is not worth leaving Darkvoice. Wa22 costs 10x more than Darkvoice and the difference was very small. What do you have to say about that?

Jun 18, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #3,506 of 14,543
Just in!!! Stoked!!!! My Minions got here early and the Russia wit Love Sensation!!
Those National Unions are beauties. Some of my favorite preamp tubes are my National Union 6SN7GT and 6F8G's. I saw a box full of the National Unions that you bought on ebay once for $100-200(?) (could've been more), and I was pretty tempted at the time. Never pulled the trigger though. How do these NU tubes sound?

EDIT: Just bought a matched pair myself

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #3,507 of 14,543
Those National Unions are beauties. Some of my favorite preamp tubes are my National Union 6SN7GT and 6F8G's. I saw a box full of the National Unions that you bought on ebay once for $100-200, and I was pretty tempted at the time. Never pulled the trigger though. How do these NU tubes sound?

EDIT: Just bought a matched pair myself
The Minions, for a $100!? Wow... That's crazy, I'm waiting for the adapter to arrive. Always been interested in them. @bcowen kinda double dared me to get em, so I did! I do love the Grey NU VT231 ( ordered another one last week) so hoping these Minions sound the same. And good to hear from you @sennfan83261 been awhile!

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #3,508 of 14,543
Have you seen this video comparing Darkvoice with Woo Wa22?

If what is in the video is true, it is not worth leaving Darkvoice. Wa22 costs 10x more than Darkvoice and the difference was very small. What do you have to say about that?

That guy is on cocaine all the time..LOL, he's crazy, I like him! And no I haven't seen that video but he has other videos on the Darkvoice, they kinda helped in my decision to buy the Darkvoice. I follow Zues just for the comedy of his character. He's on point half the time. Crazy collection of headphones. If you like your Darkvoice don't worry about it, just enjoy what you got. And that simple mod will help open her up, seems to be a popular mod. https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/darkvoice-and-crack-mods.5621/

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #3,509 of 14,543
The Minions, for a $100!? Wow... That's crazy, I'm waiting for the adapter to arrive. Always been interested in them. @bcowen kinda double dared me to get em, so I did! I do love the Grey NU VT231 ( ordered another one last week) so hoping these Minions sound the same. And good to hear from you @sennfan83261 been awhile!

Double dare? LOL! I was just happy to trade guinea pig duties with someone else. I have a couple totes full of, um, 'failed' experiments. :)

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #3,510 of 14,543
Double dare? LOL! I was just happy to trade guinea pig duties with someone else. I have a couple totes full of, um, 'failed' experiments. :)
🤣😂🤣😂😁 I might have a little fire sale next week with my failed experiments.. They pile up quick! I'm looking down and thinking, when the hell did I get that!? 😂🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back