Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jun 6, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #3,391 of 14,543
I sure hope your adapter isn't in Charlotte. But if this continues much longer, it's going to be time for a midnight raid on that distribution center because they must have a Saudi Arabian fortune of "lost' stuff piled up there. :)

More seriously, I just wonder when the USPS is going to do something about that place. I've filed complaints as well as a good number of my neighbors. And the USPS wants funds from the Feds to keep operating? Maybe an injection of competence would be more worthwhile than money. :)
I have good luck with USPS, even shipments from Russia, but I do not buy in the volume of an @bcowen I am sure. I am but a mortal man, whereas in the world of tubes, Bill is more of a prince among men.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #3,392 of 14,543
I have good luck with USPS, even shipments from Russia, but I do not buy in the volume of an @bcowen I am sure. I am but a mortal man, whereas in the world of tubes, Bill is more of a prince among men.

LOL! I say this half-jokingly (but only half), I'm wondering if there isn't an audiophile or tubehead that works at this distribution hub that is amassing a nice collection. I use the "Informed Delivery" feature that allows you to add a name/label to a tracking number once it's posted in the system. First thing that disappeared once it hit this hub? A quad of '51 Fotons that I labeled as (duh) '51 Foton 6N8S'. Then the 5998 that I labeled as TungSol 5998. We'll have to see what happens with the one that is late now that I labeled as 'Chatham 6080.' It hit the hub on 6/4 and should have delivered yesterday.

Perhaps I'll ship myself an empty box insured for $2k and label it as "NOS quad Western Electric 421A's" and see if it disappears in Charlotte as well. Then I'll have money to actually buy a quad, and just make sure they are shipped FedEx. :) :)

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #3,393 of 14,543
LOL! I say this half-jokingly (but only half), I'm wondering if there isn't an audiophile or tubehead that works at this distribution hub that is amassing a nice collection. I use the "Informed Delivery" feature that allows you to add a name/label to a tracking number once it's posted in the system. First thing that disappeared once it hit this hub? A quad of '51 Fotons that I labeled as (duh) '51 Foton 6N8S'. Then the 5998 that I labeled as TungSol 5998. We'll have to see what happens with the one that is late now that I labeled as 'Chatham 6080.' It hit the hub on 6/4 and should have delivered yesterday.

Perhaps I'll ship myself an empty box insured for $2k and label it as "NOS quad Western Electric 421A's" and see if it disappears in Charlotte as well. Then I'll have money to actually buy a quad, and just make sure they are shipped FedEx. :) :)
Lol... Not a bad idea. :D

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #3,394 of 14,543
Not a Cetron, but the Tung Sol 7236 playing nice with Da Baddy. Just finished my yardwork, wishing I had a beer right now
2020-06-06 09.12.26.jpg

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #3,396 of 14,543
Huge thanks to @bcowen for the Pinnacles they are in pristine condition, and for testing the Tung Sols. The adapter (if not in Charlotte) will be here Monday? See ya guys then.
2020-06-06 12.24.48-3.jpg

Man, you gotta get a camera that does color. :) :)

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #3,397 of 14,543
Man, you gotta get a camera that does color. :) :)
I got no tubes!!! I believe Bill was going to send some my way lol. Maybe he is burning mine in?

Jun 6, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #3,399 of 14,543
I got no tubes!!! I believe Bill was going to send some my way lol. Maybe he is burning mine in?

LOL! Shipped on the same day. How a box gets all the way across the country faster than one gets halfway across the country is only logical in the altered reality of the USPS. On the plus side, yours have safely made it out of Charlotte so it's all downhill from here. :)

Jun 6, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #3,400 of 14,543
Did I get someone else's tubes 😂😂
Wait you are in California no less!!!!! Bill is really late with mine so I need to figure out a suitable punishment. Here I called him a prince earlier too.:ksc75smile:

Jun 6, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #3,401 of 14,543
LOL! Shipped on the same day. How a box gets all the way across the country faster than one gets halfway across the country is only logical in the altered reality of the USPS. On the plus side, yours have safely made it out of Charlotte so it's all downhill from here. :)
They best get here soon, Finnegan is running out of cat toys and he keeps eyeing some TS 5998’s. I was considering building a VU meter box for Bill one day and now it looks like Ripper may deserve one instead.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #3,402 of 14,543
I was considering building a VU meter box for Bill one day and now it looks like Ripper may deserve one instead.

Damn! That's harsh. Where's the dog...I need to kick something. :)

Fine. I won't tell you about these 1945 black round plate Sylvie 6J5's then.

1591480198398.png

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #3,403 of 14,543
Damn! That's harsh. Where's the dog...I need to kick something. :)

Fine. I won't tell you about these 1945 black round plate Sylvie 6J5's then.

Too late Finnegan is already bummed out, I may have to let him chew on the schematic for your amp. Now if I have a pair of those on the way for my amp, it is a start.8A688428-8535-4A66-BBEA-1A78BC21C618.jpeg

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #3,404 of 14,543
Don't have a Sylvania gold 6080...yet. Have a Chatham 6080 that's supposed to arrive today assuming the Post Office doesn't lose it like they did the TS 5998 that was supposed to be here 3 weeks ago. :frowning2:

Have you tried an RCA 6AS7GA? The GA has a straight bottle versus the ST-shape bottle of the 6AS7G. The GA sounds quite a bit better to my ears than the G, and can still be found for decent prices. But it's roughly the same size as a 6080, so won't help with the aesthetic sizing issue. :)

Edit: Crap. Spoke too soon. The Chatham 6080 is in the black hole of the Charlotte distribution center (15 miles from my house). That's where the TS 5998 got sucked into the vortex never to be seen again, and the 6080 will likely suffer the same fate. :frowning2:

1591449625595.png
Haven't tried the RCA 6AS7GA, darn another tube for me to buy, this is getting expensive lol.
Sad to hear they have been losing your packages, hope they were just super delayed, I've thought I've lost quite a few packages that have turned up months later,damn you covid

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #3,405 of 14,543
Haven't tried the RCA 6AS7GA, darn another tube for me to buy, this is getting expensive lol.
Sad to hear they have been losing your packages, hope they were just super delayed, I've thought I've lost quite a few packages that have turned up months later,damn you covid
Same boat, turns out my China package has been stuck an hour away from me for a whole week...lol... I'm tempted to just go and pick it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back