Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Apr 5, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #2,896 of 14,518
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #2,897 of 14,518
Another question. What do you think of sylvania 7236?

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #2,898 of 14,518
Guys, I know that a while ago I said that the sylvania 6sn7wgt valve was too bright and with the sound of recorded on my T1 g1. Yeah eh. By combining it with a RCA JAN 6AS7G, the treble of my T1 was tamed and the midrange improved considerably. The bass, for me, is still insufficient, so I'm looking forward to the arrival of the Ken Rad vt231 that I bought. But I intend to keep this sylvania in my collection.

How does RCA JAN 6as7g 1967 compare to Chatham 6AS7G?

I was thinking of buying Chatham.

Another thing, I've been reading about arc problems with the TS 5998 and WE421A. Is this problem very frequent? I don't want to buy an expensive valve like that and still risk burning my T1.
No problems with the one I have, but if that's a concern for you then you really need to try the Darkvoice groups favorite, the Tung Sol 7236, that really pumps out the bass.

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #2,899 of 14,518
[QUOTE = "JKDJedi, postagem: 15543234, membro: 467979"]
Sem problemas com o que eu tenho, mas isso é uma preocupação para você, você realmente precisa experimentar o favorito dos grupos Darkvoice, o Tung Sol 7236, que realmente aumenta o baixo.
[/ CITAR]

So I almost bought one today. But DenverW commented that this TS7236 does not differ much from the TS6080, being a very small update, and that the sound is the same as solid state I ended up giving up. I have the TS6080, and particularly, despite increasing the bass considerably, I did not like the mid range and treble of it.

Have you compared it to the TS6080? and already compared with TS 5998 or WE421A or even with Chatham 6as7g?

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #2,900 of 14,518
[QUOTE = "JKDJedi, postagem: 15543234, membro: 467979"]
Sem problemas com o que eu tenho, mas isso é uma preocupação para você, você realmente precisa experimentar o favorito dos grupos Darkvoice, o Tung Sol 7236, que realmente aumenta o baixo.
[/ CITAR]

So I almost bought one today. But DenverW commented that this TS7236 does not differ much from the TS6080, being a very small update, and that the sound is the same as solid state I ended up giving up. I have the TS6080, and particularly, despite increasing the bass considerably, I did not like the mid range and treble of it.

Have you compared it to the TS6080? and already compared with TS 5998 or WE421A or even with Chatham 6as7g?
You should probably wait to see what the Ken Rad does for you. You sound like you have the monies, why don't you get them all and tell us what the difference is. That way if and when we get a T1 we'd have some type of reference to go by.

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #2,901 of 14,518
You should probably wait to see what the Ken Rad does for you. You sound like you have the monies, why don't you get them all and tell us what the difference is. That way if and when we get a T1 we'd have some type of reference to go by.

Your irony amuses me! Having money is relative. It depends on the point of comparison. I can feel myself with more money than a person who can only buy an Essence STX and a Superlux HD681. But I can feel very poor around people who have Dna Stellaris and Hifiman he1000, for example. In fact, in relation to your standards, maybe I really am a person with money, since I imported two valves (Ken Rad and Tung-Sol 6Sn7) whose price, including taxes, would be equivalent to the salary of a month of manual labor here in Brazil. That for two little vavulazinhas. Perhaps this is the line of reasoning used by you. But abstracting out all the noise in the information passed here on the forum (which includes unfortunate comments like this), and since I am a very interested person only in the valuable information passed by serious people on this forum, I ignore your ironic comment.Ok.

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #2,902 of 14,518
Your irony amuses me! Having money is relative. It depends on the point of comparison. I can feel myself with more money than a person who can only buy an Essence STX and a Superlux HD681. But I can feel very poor around people who have Dna Stellaris and Hifiman he1000, for example. In fact, in relation to your standards, maybe I really am a person with money, since I imported two valves (Ken Rad and Tung-Sol 6Sn7) whose price, including taxes, would be equivalent to the salary of a month of manual labor here in Brazil. That for two little vavulazinhas. Perhaps this is the line of reasoning used by you. But abstracting out all the noise in the information passed here on the forum (which includes unfortunate comments like this), and since I am a very interested person only in the valuable information passed by serious people on this forum, I ignore your ironic comment.Ok.

Not sure I understand the tone of your post. You've asked a lot of questions in this thread which is fine and what it's for, and several people (including mostly @JKDJedi ) have shared their experience and opinions freely and honestly. And now this? See how much 'valuable information' you get going forward...

Apr 5, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #2,903 of 14,518
Not sure I understand the tone of your post. You've asked a lot of questions in this thread which is fine and what it's for, and several people (including mostly @JKDJedi ) have shared their experience and opinions freely and honestly. And now this? See how much 'valuable information' you get going forward...

The JKDjedi really gave a lot of good information. But that's the purpose of the forum, isn't it! If not because of his existence. Here is not a social network, where the main goal is to make friends. JKDjedi and everyone in this discussion group received impressions from other older users. It is your duty to pass on to the new ones. Just as the new ones, like me, will have the duty to pass on to those who will come. I intend to pass on the information I received and the information I acquired on my own to new users who want to optimize their equipment without spending unnecessarily. Because, if that is not the spirit, you can close the forum. It only makes sense here if there is solidarity. Now help first and mock later, the part of the irony I simply dismiss. I will be happy to help anyone, seriously and free of charge, regardless of the number of questions, and without any kind of debauchery or irony. As a member of Heard-Fi I have that duty. So feel free not to answer. If you, or anyone else here, need any information that I have the ability to answer, I will be happy to help. I have an excellent FDS.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #2,904 of 14,518
The JKDjedi really gave a lot of good information. But that's the purpose of the forum, isn't it! If not because of his existence. Here is not a social network, where the main goal is to make friends. JKDjedi and everyone in this discussion group received impressions from other older users. It is your duty to pass on to the new ones. Just as the new ones, like me, will have the duty to pass on to those who will come. I intend to pass on the information I received and the information I acquired on my own to new users who want to optimize their equipment without spending unnecessarily. Because, if that is not the spirit, you can close the forum. It only makes sense here if there is solidarity. Now help first and mock later, the part of the irony I simply dismiss. I will be happy to help anyone, seriously and free of charge, regardless of the number of questions, and without any kind of debauchery or irony. As a member of Heard-Fi I have that duty. So feel free not to answer. If you, or anyone else here, need any information that I have the ability to answer, I will be happy to help. I have an excellent FDS.
Our group loves to mix and match tubes to experience (for themselves) the different sounds they produce off the Darkvoice amp. My only intention of that last post towards you was to push you into doing the same. This is all suppose to be fun, we're all fun loving guys here.

Apr 5, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #2,905 of 14,518
Okay. We are at peace. But for me it is complicated to acquire many tubes. In Brazil, taxes and exchange rates make everything American or European very expensive here. I am also a fun and loving guy. Discussions tire me. What I really want is to be happy on my Darkvoice! :)

Apr 8, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2,906 of 14,518
I'm not sure exactly what differences there are between the HD-650's and the Massdrop HD-6XX's, but the latter are currently $195, or about half the going price for the 650's in the US anyway. Also not sure if shipping/import duties would narrow that margin, but the HD-6XX's are a hell of a value (IMO) for the money so might be worth a look.
There is no difference, really. 6xx = 650.

As far as arcing, I’ve had one issue with a 421a, but I consider the vendor suspect. I’ve had two other 421a and a 5998, and they worked fine.

Apr 9, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #2,907 of 14,518
Ohhhh boy, it came to Ken Rad vt231. Phew .... What a valve! I'm not a poet like you to describe the sound, but I just know that I liked it a lot. The sound stage increased in width, but mainly in depth. Listening to Vivaldi, the instruments that before seemed very close to each other, were now more widely spaced, giving the sensation of being watching an orchestra in the third row. The middle ones are sweeter, and a little further. I can now hear echoes of the voice that I didn't hear before, again giving the feeling of being watching a show in a larger space. I confess that I still want a little more bass, because despite noticing them well defined, I still miss a little more punch. I was lucky to receive a valve without any noise and totally balanced. I'm using the RCA JAN 6as7g of power. I ended up buying a Mullard 6080 for power. It is a hotter valve than the RCA. I hope to get the rest of the bass I'm missing. But this will take time to arrive, because I bought it from Russia and it was posted yesterday.

Apr 9, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #2,908 of 14,518
There is no difference, really. 6xx = 650.

As far as arcing, I’ve had one issue with a 421a, but I consider the vendor suspect. I’ve had two other 421a and a 5998, and they worked fine.

So ... For me, due to taxes in my country, it doesn't pay to buy a 5998 or 421a. It would be very expensive. I've been reading good things about the Tung-Sol / Chatham 6as7g and the Mullard 6080. The Mullard I bought for $ 35, while the Tung-Sol / Chatham 6AS7G still didn't get a good valve. With shipping, I don't want to pay more than $ 50 on a valve. If I buy up to $ 50 I don't pay taxes. Now, over $ 50, I pay more or less 100% in taxes. So, if I buy a Tung-Sol 5998 for $ 150, I will pay another $ 150 in taxes, not counting the exchange rate that is 5 to 1. In short: The valve will cost a fortune and I'm still at risk of buying a bad valve.

Apr 9, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #2,909 of 14,518
Ouch! That stinks! I did like the tung sol 6as7g. Coke bottle tubes look pretty, too.

Apr 9, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #2,910 of 14,518
If a Tung-Sol 7236 appears for $ 50 I buy it too. The way and have patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back