Darkvoice 336 arrived in 110 voltage.
Nov 18, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #706 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any place that sells electronics should have one.

Cool...I'm glad to hear it's nothing fancy that I have to track down...

As for doing a comparison between the Heed and Darkvoice...I'll give it a shot when I get the opportunity (next year), but I can't promise that I have golden ears...probably not tin ears, but likely somewhere in the copper to silver range...
blink.gif

Hopefully there will be a meet sometime before then at which the two can be compared by more experienced head-fiers...

Nov 18, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #707 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool...I'm glad to hear it's nothing fancy that I have to track down...

As for doing a comparison between the Heed and Darkvoice...I'll give it a shot when I get the opportunity (next year), but I can't promise that I have golden ears...probably not tin ears, but likely somewhere in the copper to silver range...
blink.gif

Hopefully there will be a meet sometime before then at which the two can be compared by more experienced head-fiers...

Yeah, it's the same kind of power cord used on a PC or flat panel TV.

And good luck with the comparo! Having multiple people do the comparison will definitely help give more solid impressions of the two.

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #712 of 823
My darkvoice is finally here
icon10.gif

i've only listend for less than an hour but it's clear that its far, far better than the headphone jack on my old sony reciever.
only listen to stuff from my computer so far, will try with the lenco latter.

Dec 1, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #713 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

i've only listend for less than an hour but it's clear that its far, far better than the headphone jack on my old sony reciever.

Sweet! How long did it take to get to you?

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #714 of 823
Quote:

icon10.gif

oh my

if I could go back in time and had the pleasure of going from a receiver jack-out to the darkvoice ....
smily_headphones1.gif
I envy you

Dec 2, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #715 of 823
i've been listening to some vinyl on my turntable and everything is just incredibly liquid and smooth. vocals were always the 595s strongest point - now they are really magical.
595s are still not bass monsters, but in combination with the darkvoice and the lenco the bass is now deeper and fuller.
i now understand what people mean by 'tube sound'. warmth is quite a good way to describe it, but to someone who has not heard it it implies reduced treble, which is not what i heard, so i prefer to call it liquid sounding - not that that makes much sense to describe sound
tongue.gif

i ordered it about 2 weeks ago from a seller on ebay in france. it should have been here on moday(that would have been 6 working days), but i was out (and my lazy flatmates were asleep and didn't answer the door
mad.gif
). i phoned the number on the card and i got a recorded message saying they automatically try to deliver things again the next working day. for some reason they didnt do that though, so i had to ring them again on wednesday, by which time the next possible delivery date was friday.
it's times like this i wish i had a car - it was sitting in the parcel force depot a couple of miles away for most of the week!

my old reciever isn't bad - its a bit better than the headphone out on my eMac, which in turn is better than the ipod mini. the main problem it had was a noticible hiss.

the problem now is i am starting to think about what i should upgrade next: DAC/cartridge/phonostage/new tubes
eggosmile.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #716 of 823
Quote:

i've been listening to some vinyl on my turntable and everything is just incredibly liquid and smooth. vocals were always the 595s strongest point - now they are really magical.
595s are still not bass monsters, but in combination with the darkvoice and the lenco the bass is now deeper and fuller.
i now understand what people mean by 'tube sound'. warmth is quite a good way to describe it, but to someone who has not heard it it implies reduced treble, which is not what i heard, so i prefer to call it liquid sounding - not that that makes much sense to describe sound
tongue.gif

i ordered it about 2 weeks ago from a seller on ebay in france. it should have been here on moday(that would have been 6 working days), but i was out (and my lazy flatmates were asleep and didn't answer the door
mad.gif
). i phoned the number on the card and i got a recorded message saying they automatically try to deliver things again the next working day. for some reason they didnt do that though, so i had to ring them again on wednesday, by which time the next possible delivery date was friday.
it's times like this i wish i had a car - it was sitting in the parcel force depot a couple of miles away for most of the week!

my old reciever isn't bad - its a bit better than the headphone out on my eMac, which in turn is better than the ipod mini. the main problem it had was a noticible hiss.

the problem now is i am starting to think about what i should upgrade next: DAC/cartridge/phonostage/new tubes
eggosmile.gif

Unfortunately, I think you are heading toward upgrading all those things!
icon10.gif

I really think one of the fun parts of this amp is the ability to roll tubes...there are quite a variety of great NOS (or good condition used) 6sn7 tube, up front. Rolling the 6as7 tube likely will not yield much change, sonically, so I would place that as a lower priority (unless you feel inclined to do so - I have a Sovtek in mine, because they forgot to ship my amp w/tubes...lol).

I am not that familiar w/the 595s (I had the HD650s), but if you want a kick in the "bass pants", then a Ken Rad VT-231 staggered plate (either clear or black glass - they are the same tube structurally and sonically) would really do the trick (while maintaining good low end detail). It will also open things up sonically (better soundstage/separation, instrument tone/texture/body, etc). If you search, you can find them for close to 20 bucks on eBay, in good tested condition - sometimes you will have to bid on them, but IMO it's worth the price break from the outrageous prices that many dealers charge for NOS. This is my fav tube (especially w/my K701s).

There are a lot of other choices out there, so I suggest you take a look at this thread, which is super-informative:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=6sn7

Note: The above link contains loads of info; in my case, it took a while to really start to decipher between different tubes. However, it really helped me to narrow down what I thought would be good tubes in my application.

This really is a wonderful amplifier! It just makes you want to take the next steps closer to total audio nirvana!!!

I am totally into some Steely Dan on my K701s, right now...

Have fun and good luck!!!

SL

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #719 of 823
I just got mine today from DHL. I bought it on eBay a while ago. They had a little trouble with testing so the person threw in a free 6080. I wasn't in a huge hurry to get the amp so that was pretty nice. Overall, it was a good experience for a foreign purchase. They use next-day DHL.

Haven't had time to test it yet. I'll be comparing it to the Gilmore Lite with my K701 and HD595.

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #720 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCanhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, I think you are heading toward upgrading all those things!
icon10.gif

I really think one of the fun parts of this amp is the ability to roll tubes...there are quite a variety of great NOS (or good condition used) 6sn7 tube, up front. Rolling the 6as7 tube likely will not yield much change, sonically, so I would place that as a lower priority (unless you feel inclined to do so - I have a Sovtek in mine, because they forgot to ship my amp w/tubes...lol).

I am not that familiar w/the 595s (I had the HD650s), but if you want a kick in the "bass pants", then a Ken Rad VT-231 staggered plate (either clear or black glass - they are the same tube structurally and sonically) would really do the trick (while maintaining good low end detail). It will also open things up sonically (better soundstage/separation, instrument tone/texture/body, etc). If you search, you can find them for close to 20 bucks on eBay, in good tested condition - sometimes you will have to bid on them, but IMO it's worth the price break from the outrageous prices that many dealers charge for NOS. This is my fav tube (especially w/my K701s).

There are a lot of other choices out there, so I suggest you take a look at this thread, which is super-informative:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=6sn7

Note: The above link contains loads of info; in my case, it took a while to really start to decipher between different tubes. However, it really helped me to narrow down what I thought would be good tubes in my application.

This really is a wonderful amplifier! It just makes you want to take the next steps closer to total audio nirvana!!!

I am totally into some Steely Dan on my K701s, right now...

Have fun and good luck!!!

SL

Just as a word from personal experiance, I found that when I rolled in a new powertube things cleaned up alittle. I dont have a DV but my amp uses the EXACT same power tube, same manufacturer. There is a nice kind that can be had 4 for ~30 on ebay. Ask Fitz for the info on em.
-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back