Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
Oct 17, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #331 of 1,556
Are the RCA gray plates better than the RCA black plates?

The black plates are sure more expensive.. just wondering, because I received two (1 NOS) grey plates from tubeworld when I bought my 336i.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #332 of 1,556
I personally preferred the RCA over the Svetlana. But that's JMO, YMMV.

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #333 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally preferred the RCA over the Svetlana. But that's JMO, YMMV.

What does YMMV stand for? I see it pretty frequently, however I've yet to crack the code..
basshead.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #334 of 1,556
Your Mileage May Vary
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #336 of 1,556
Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

But.. how is that abbreviation correlate with that statement?

"Just my opinion, 'your mileage may vary' "

Sorry for being so hard headed, but I sometimes don't understand these "easy" things.. *smacks head*

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #337 of 1,556
Nick: perhaps you don't watch enough TV
smily_headphones1.gif
"Your Mileage May Vary" is the legal disclaimer in car ads about what your actual gas mileage may be. It's become internet-speak for "your experience may be different from mine".

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #338 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nick: perhaps you don't watch enough TV
smily_headphones1.gif
"Your Mileage May Vary" is the legal disclaimer in car ads about what your actual gas mileage may be. It's become internet-speak for "your experience may be different from mine".

LMAO ROFL.. sometimes, I am a complete idiot. Or maybe it's the medication I was just recently prescribed.. let's blame it on the medication..
tongue.gif
However, I can see the trend starting; just look at the post at the top of this page..

[size=xx-small]
Dang, I cannot believe this went over and through my head.. like this.. I feel ashamed, and should have my posting privilege stripped from me.
frown.gif
[/size]

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #339 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the RCA gray plates better than the RCA black plates?

The black plates are sure more expensive.. just wondering, because I received two (1 NOS) grey plates from tubeworld when I bought my 336i.

The RCA 6AS7G gray plate sounds expansive and smooth, whereas the black plate is a bit tighter sounding and (IMHO) can even be slightly hard or harsh. Between the two, I more frequently choose the gray plate version. Reportedly, the RCA 6AS7G gray plate coupled with the Tung-Sol 6SN7GT round plate leaves little to be desired. : )

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #340 of 1,556
Dear Skylab:

I thought this auction might be of interest to you.. certainly caught my attention.
basshead.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/186-pcs-6SN7GT-H...QQcmdZViewItem

Sincerely,

-Nick
580smile.gif

PS. If you win this auction, please PM me. I will gladly take just two of your 186+ tubes in compensation..
biggrin.gif

PSS. Could the final ending price break $1,001? ($1,001 sounds better than $1,000) Some of those tubes are MIGHTY expensive..

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #341 of 1,556
LOL! That is the LAST thing I need
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #343 of 1,556
Hi all

I know this question has been answered umpteen times, but I just want to know if, given my setup (DV336i + low imp MS2 + Tung Sol 6SN7GTB + stock Chinese back tube), will longer burn-in get rid of the hum sound? I read somewhere in this thread that hum sound may not go off in the case of low impedience headphones. Someone also mentioned before that a matching pair of tube can also solve the problem. In that case, will the RCA 6AS7G or Svetlana 6H13C help in this aspect? I'm ready to get a 6AS7 tube but want to make sure that this can also help get rid of the hum, in addition to improving the sonic quality of the 336i.

Without doing the Fitz hum mod (as I'm not technically inclined), how can I eliminate the hum?

Can anyone advise?
Thanks.

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #344 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by malcolmhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all

I know this question has been answered umpteen times, but I just want to know if, given my setup (DV336i + low imp MS2 + Tung Sol 6SN7GTB + stock Chinese back tube), will longer burn-in get rid of the hum sound? I read somewhere in this thread that hum sound may not go off in the case of low impedience headphones. Someone also mentioned before that a matching pair of tube can also solve the problem. In that case, will the RCA 6AS7G or Svetlana 6H13C help in this aspect? I'm ready to get a 6AS7 tube but want to make sure that this can also help get rid of the hum, in addition to improving the sonic quality of the 336i.

Without doing the Fitz hum mod (as I'm not technically inclined), how can I eliminate the hum?

Can anyone advise?
Thanks.

This has happened to me, and the hum or noise went away after so many hours. The tube I was using was a RCA 6SN7GT smoked glass..

Another thing that helped, I am not sure of this totally, but by switching out the power cord, instantly, the hum or "noise" became less apparent and wasn't as bothering as before. I don't know if this can be a true factor, but I would like to throw this out as well.

I would give it at least another 24 hours total of burn-in and see if that doesn't help. Either you can leave it on for a few hours a day, or you can listen to music and hope it goes away. For me, this "noise" was to harsh for me to listen to music, so I just let the tube burn-in with some pink noise a few hours a day.

This is as far as I can comment, because I lack the experience, and knowledge others around here have, and will leave it up to them to finish off your question. I am merely sharing my experience when I had tube "hum".

-Nick
580smile.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #345 of 1,556
Some tubes are going to hum and not stop. But mostly if they run in for 24 hours they will quiet down. My DV336i does have the Fitz hum mod, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back