Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
Oct 5, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #302 of 1,556
Personally I love a Sylvania 6080 JAN in the back and an older Sylvania 6sn7 in the front. The best Sylvania 6SN7's seem to be prior to the GTB's.

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #303 of 1,556
Sylvania, GE, Raytheon 6080's are all great.

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #304 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just rolled the Mullard 6080. With the GE 6SN7GTB, the sound is wonderfully full, rich and textured.

Of all the 6080s I've tried (in lieu of the 6AS7G), the Mullard definitely sounds the best. Haven't tried the Bendix 6080, though; it's allegedly the "cream of the"--6080--"crop".

6080 was the regulator in the psu of my Counterpoint phono stage, I tried a Mullard in it a few years back. Well after a few weeks it shorted... sparks/flames/smoke, a bunch of passive parts, a $380 repair bill. I'm not saying the tube is unreliable, but I'd think twice about trying one again.

I still have it around here, I'll dig it up to make sure, but I'm 99% sure it was a Mullard.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #305 of 1,556
Anyone have any experience with a Raytheon Military Spec'd 6AS7G?

I can only see some of the label, and it starts with a "J" (could it be JAN?) and CRC on the second line.. Military stock label on original box says Raytheon "2J6AS7G"

Can't find any information on this...

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #306 of 1,556
if "CRC" is on there then yes, the J would be JAN. Raytheon made lots of military spec tubes. But the Raytheon 6AS7 I use in my 336i is not a JAN-CRC, and the JAN-CRC tubes I use in my 337 are RCA's.

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #307 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if "CRC" is on there then yes, the J would be JAN. Raytheon made lots of military spec tubes. But the Raytheon 6AS7 I use in my 336i is not a JAN-CRC, and the JAN-CRC tubes I use in my 337 are RCA's.

I later found out CRC = JAN = Military Spec'd, correct me if I'm wrong.

I also found a LITTLE bit of info on the non-JAN spec'd Raytheon 6AS7, but nothing on the JAN Raytheon. (ie. available from a few online sellers, even the non-JAN is selling more than the JAN version I found.) Could this mean this is a rarer tube, and little (if any) is known about this tube?

Hopefully the seller has another one, because these come in original box, with (what seems) to be a "glued" (extremely old, I can tell by all the discoloration on the label/box), on military label. However I'm not totally sure if it's "glued" on, it's not the same as other JAN boxes, where the writing is imprinted onto the box. The label is defiantly a different color than the box, but is as old as the box itself. I don't know very much about JAN tubes, except they're usually of a higher build quality, and generally sound better than non-JAN spec'd tubes.

I found this little guy with keywords NOT relating to the item, and using keywords related to this tube, bring up nothing. Maybe if the seller used better marketing/placed in the correct section, it would get some more action. So again, hopefully my "find" will go un-noticed, and I'll pick this tube up for cheap.

Thanks,

-Nick
580smile.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #308 of 1,556
Here's a picture of the tube I won.

$10 gets me this..

100_8591.jpg

You can clearly see CRC on the tube, but I request additional photos of the whole label as well, but he didn't get back to me soon enough, my bid was in. Oh well..

Have you seen anything like this Skylab, or anyone else out there?
600smile.gif

-Nick

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #309 of 1,556
Looks EXACTLY like my JAN-CRC 6AS7's that are branded RCA.

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #310 of 1,556
Quote:

Looks EXACTLY like my JAN-CRC 6AS7's that are branded RCA.

Good eye. Now I see the "6AS7G" printed on the tube, is the same as my RCA 6AS7G (regular)

Can you comment on how these tubes are sonically? (JAN 6AS7's?)

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #311 of 1,556
In a word, awesome. Listening to a pair of them right now as I type this on my DV 337. They sound terrific. They are tubes, but they have amazing bass, great treble extension, and oh my, that sumptuous midrange
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #312 of 1,556
Quote:

In a word, awesome. Listening to a pair of them right now as I type this on my DV 337. They sound terrific. They are tubes, but they have amazing bass, great treble extension, and oh my, that sumptuous midrange
biggrin.gif

Hmm.. sounds like I found a winner.
600smile.gif

For $10, it's looking like a super-steal.. I cannot find JAN (CRC) 6AS7's anywhere.. I went through 4 pages already on google..

I did find an older eBay auction for two JAN 6AS7's for $35 shipped. That's about $20 a tube, plus being the lucky person to find it. I take it these JAN 6AS7's don't pop up vary rarely?

I tried the "normal" online tube sellers with no luck either..

Where did you happen to pick up yours?

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #313 of 1,556
Does Darkvoice 332 using same tubes (same type) that used by 336i ?

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #315 of 1,556
Skylab, are you adding to your ever growing stash of tubes? I see you've been pretty active on eBay
smily_headphones1.gif

The ECC looks pretty cool. Is that a wood base?
eek.gif

(PS I'm all out of money, so I won't be bidding; now I am patiently wait for the arrival of my 4 tubes, but I'm just keeping an eye out there for those "odd" tubes)

Take care and good luck on those tubes & be sure to share your winnings/findings with us!

-Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back