Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
Jun 15, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #211 of 1,556
Right now, I'm enjoying the RCA 6AS7G, gray plate w/Sylvania 6SN7GTB, staggered plates. I usually try to mutually offset RCAs and Sylvania, getting the best of both worlds. I like the Svetlana, too, but it can sound "hard" in less than optimal combinations.

My preferences for the rear tube are, in descending order:

RCA 6AS7G gray plate
Mullard 6080
Sylvania 6AS7G
Svetlana 6H13C
RCA 6AS7G black plate
stock Chinese 6N1P.

Actually, the stock rear tube sounds pretty clean and expansive. With a "soft" front tube, I kind of like the 6N1P.

My preferences for the front tube are:

RCA 6SN7GT gray glass
Sylvania 6SN7W
RCA 6SN7GT clear
Ken-Rad VT-231
Raytheon VT-231
National Union 6SN7GT.

The Darkvoice has faithfully served me for 9 months now, and the sense of enjoyment that I derive from it is still very much fresh and alive, so to speak.
[8 ) <--ersatz Ultrasone Proline 750 smiley

Jun 15, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #212 of 1,556
The wait... my 336i should be here on Monday, and I hope my tubes will arrive soon after. Based on this thread I decided to go for a RCA 6AS7G gray plate and a Sylvania 6SN7GTB chrome top, hoping for some excellent sound!

Jun 16, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #213 of 1,556
finally my new tube is here... Actually it was here for last 5 weeks; however I lent my darkvoice for some time but today the trio is completed.

Listening for last couple of hours with the sylvania 6SN7 GT + bendix 6080WB combo.

Bass with SACD (journey - best of album) is simply unbelievable. With redbook's I am pretty much settled on the sylvania as the input tube and here are my preferences for my HD650:

1) sylvania gt + bendix 6080wb
2) sylvania gt + western electric 421a
3) sylvania gt + rca gray plate

I am using the ack! interconnects (silver) between the denon 3910 and the amp & you can't believe how dynamic, open, and full bodied the 650's became with above tube combo's along with the interconnect...

I like the darkvoice so much that my bada + sa5k is on sale right now. This is really a great amp!

EDIT:
I was thinking how megadeth is sounding so good, then switched to herbie han**** quartet with tony williams, ron carter, and wynton marsalis. Piano, bass, trumpet, drums & recording are simply in the 'reference' category...

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #214 of 1,556
Hmm, it looks like the Sylvania 6SN7GT is the most popular of the "mainstream" front tubes, which is nice as it only costs about $25. I do want to try some GE 6080's in the back, they do look interesting.

Jun 17, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #215 of 1,556
My experience with the GE and RCA 6080 is that they sound "hard." With the right front tube, they can impart some tightness and control to the sound, but at the expense of sounding, IMHO, narrowish.

The only 6080 that I've tried, and that I've liked so far, is the Mullard. I'm sure the Bendix sounds very good--but for the price, it had better. I've seen JAN Philips and Sylvania 6080 on eBay, but haven't ventured to try either of them yet.

Jun 18, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #217 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the pull towards a tube amp...

all tube experiments and rolling aside, how much does it cost you all to keep the amp running as far as replacement tubes?

Nothing at all! So far I'm using my Darkvoice with the stock tubes it came with and it's exceptional...
eek.gif

Graham
UK

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #221 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got 2, one hummes a lot, the other is dead quiet, sound wise they sound ok, but there are better tubes.

Like what other tubes? Does it sound better than the tung-sol 6sn7 gtb?

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #222 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by dty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like what other tubes?

. . . Pandora's box awaits you. : )

See earlier posts along this thread for plenty of 6SN7 and 6AS7G impressions/recommendations. Right now I am using the Sylvania 6SN7GTA and a Mullard 6080 to excellent effect.

The "ultimate" front tube might be the Tung-Sol 6SN7GT round plate, which I have yet to try, and which I cannot yet afford. I really like the RCA 6SN7GT grey glass and the Sylvania 6SN7W, too.

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #223 of 1,556
I have a rca 6sn7 grey glass also. Its not as detailed as the tung-sol, but it has a nice warm sound to it. Im just looking for a tube that is better than the tung-sol 6sn7 gtb in the 20-30 dollar range (not looking for a really expensive rare tube). Im also looking for a good back tube (I currently have a sylvania 6080wc and a 6h13c russian tube for the back).

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #225 of 1,556
I decided to conduct a blind tube test with my AKG 701's.

I randomized all my 6sn7's in a drawer, grabbed them blind, and inserted into the DV without looking. All tests were conducted with a Sylvania 6080WC JAN tube in the back. I had previously found this was the 6as7 I seem to enjoy the most.

Below are my comments. After I finished listening to each tube I layed them in order so I could match up with the tubes when I was done my listening tests. Comments are somewhat random as I just jotted down thoughts as I had them and didn't necessarily try to compare individual passages of music.

There may be contradictory statements about each tube as on some songs my impressions were different. I listened to the same 10 songs with each tube. Testing occurred over several days.

Tube1: (GE 6sn7gta flat Grey plates, side halo getter and flashing, red print)
Bad Hum Initially, and throughout. Distracting on quiet passages.
Good bass
Full Sound
Detailed
Something missing?
Soundstage a bit compressed.
Very full sounding.
Soundstage fine.
Seems detail a bit missing on some tracks.
Nothing offensive with this tube.
Well balanced.

Tube 2: (Sylvania 6sn7gta Short bottle, black triangular plates, heavy flashing, green print)
Significant Hum, that went almost completey away.
Good bass
Soundstage a bit compressed
Balanced.
Very good male vocals.
NOthing offensive with this tube.
More open and detailed.
A bit bright.
Tight bass
Better than Tube1
Very good detail
Soundstage great
Far better than Tube1 for detail
Great low end
Great with female vocals.

Tube 3: (Sylvania 6sn7gtb - Black triangular plates, red print, date AJR)
Significant hum initially, that remained
Good detail and impact
Something missing in bass detail.
Soundstage and detail better than 2, but something missing from top end.
Good female vocals
Soundstage very good.
No issues with this tube.
Very nice.
Not noticing the same brightness as 2.

Tube 4: (Emerson 6sn7gt Grey T-plates, circular mica supports at top actually a rebranded Tung-Sol Mouse Ear)
Very mild hum
Decent impact
Something not right, soundstage somewhat limited. Some songs seem to lack detail, others are fine.
A pretty good tube. Quite good on some songs.
A little harsh and fatiguing.

Tube 5 (Brown base Sylvania 6sn7WGTA, black triangular plates, halo getter)
Decent impact
Soundstage significantly better
Good detail
Balanced
Smooth
Great detail
Just a little bright
Good female vocals
Good male vocals
Significantly better than tube 4, no harsh sound.

Tube 6: (Sylvania 6sn7GTB Grey parallel plates, made in England, strange saucer getter at bottom)
Bad hum
Good impact and detail
Good soundstage
Good balance
Good female vocals
A bit bright
Nice tube except for hum, and fatigue from brightness.

Tube 7: (Original tube from amp)
No hum
Impact not quite up to snuff
Detail seems to be a bit lacking
Soundstage a bit limited
Not bad
Female vocals good
Quite good with some songs.

Tube 8: (RCA 6sn7GTB, flat Black Plates)
No Hum
Impact a little lacking
Laid back
Soundstage a bit lacking
Highs seem recessed
Neutral
Detail ok on some tracks, lacking on others.
A little harsh on some tracks.

Tube 9: (Sylvania 6sn7GTB, black triangular plates, green print)
Significant Hum
Fairly detailed
Pretty good impact, a little less than some of the other tubes.
Soundstage seems slight less than some of the other tubes.
Balanced.
Female vocals missing some detail
Detail good on some tracks, seems to lack on others.
NOthing offensive other than hum.

Tube 10: (Motorola 6sn7GT, made in USA, Grey prallel plates, circular mica supports, actually a rebraded TungSol

Mouse Ear).
No hum
Good impact
Good soundstage
Good detail.
Very nice.
Good female vocals
Nice balance.
Musical
Great sound, developed a hum in left side.

Tube 11: (Sylvania JAN 6SN7WGTA, Brown base, black parallel plates, halo geter)
No hum
Good Impact
Balanecd
Good detail
Good soundstage
Good female vocals
Good male vocals
Musical
NIce.
Good low end.

Tube 12: (Sylvania 6sn7GTB, red print, halo getter, black triangular plates)
No Hum
Good Impact
Missing some detail on some tracks, but good on others.
Soundstage not full on some tracks.
Good male vocals.
Good female vocals

Overall Tube 11 is my favorite and now resides in my DV.
I've tried this tube with RCA, Sylvania, and Westinghouse in the back but always go back to a Sylvania 6080WC. This combination just sound right to me. How I expect live music to sound. Detailed but not harsh.

After the blind comparison I have compared Tube 11 with a VT-231 Sylvania with parallel black plates, with the flashing on the bottom, but still slightly prefer Tube 11 although they were sonically very similar.

I have not tried to go back and relisten to the some of these tubes for further comparison, but I plan to review the two Tung-Sol mouse ears as I'm suprised I found the Motorola much better than the Emerson considering they look virtually identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back