Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
May 27, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #196 of 1,556
Just have to say this amp pairs phenomenally with the 701's.

I'm currently running with a JAN 6080WC Sylvania in the back and a Sylvania GTB with red print in the front. The detail is amazing with this combo. The only downside I've found is it's perhaps a bit to revealing with music that incorporates distortion as it reveals it in all it's distorted glory. I've tried a few combos in the back but so far the Sylvania just knocks the others out for detail and soundstage (RCA and GE).

I've got a few more tubes on the way so we'll see where I end up.

I never really appreciated what tuberolling could do until I bought this sucker.

May 28, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #197 of 1,556
If you feel a bit adventurous, you should try to do the Fitz hum mod, and get the 6SN7EH. They are really good modern tubes.

May 28, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #198 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you feel a bit adventurous, you should try to do the Fitz hum mod, and get the 6SN7EH. They are really good modern tubes.

Does the Fitz hum mod change any of the other sonic characteristics of this amp?

May 28, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #199 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Fitz hum mod change any of the other sonic characteristics of this amp?

There's a small increase in gain, but that's all.

May 29, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #200 of 1,556
According to various tube sites who sell this tube, NY based New Sensor Corp. aquired the right to remanufacture these tubes. They do so in a Russian plant.

They are supposedly the "best 6SN7 currently manufactured" and selling for the bargain price of roughly $15+. This implies they are better than the Electro Harmonix but to me they look very similar, making it seem likely that they also share their tendency to hum in a Darkvoice HPA.

So I searched the relevant threads but could not find anything on this reissued one. Anyone had a chance to assess sound quality etc?

@gjkphd: do you use one of these or is yours NOS?

May 29, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #201 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a small increase in gain, but that's all.

Hmmm strange. My Fitz hum mod makes everyone sound like Judy Garland, it's really wierd when you listen to Johnny Cash's "Ring Of Fire" with Judy's voice. I just figured that was Fitz' preference for music so he tuned it to sound that way.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Of coarse I jest...The Fitz hum mod has no decernable shortcomming to my ears whatsoever, but it's a fantastic mod to alleviate hum.

May 30, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #203 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by bioport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@gjkphd: do you use one of these or is yours NOS?

mine is a NOS Tung-Sol, not the new reissued one

Jun 4, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #204 of 1,556
I just got my 336i today and even after just a few hours burn in the amp is extraordinary, I'm getting a full, utterly 'musical' sound with the most incerdible sense of pace and timing out of a totally black silent background. Frankly do i even need to *think* of tuberolling?

Oh and any suggestions for another pair of phones that suit the darkvoice as much as my AKG K340's? I'd like open backed cool and comfortable, I love my AKG's but they dont half make my ears hot...

Cheers all
Graham
UK

Jun 4, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #205 of 1,556
have you considered switching out the pads on your K340s? I just replaced mine with some velour pads and they are much cooler. Also, I had a pair of ATH-W1000s that were made to be cooler by simply pealing the pleather coating off... maybe this would work with the K340s?

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #206 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you considered switching out the pads on your K340s? I just replaced mine with some velour pads and they are much cooler. Also, I had a pair of ATH-W1000s that were made to be cooler by simply pealing the pleather coating off... maybe this would work with the K340s?

I'm sure somewhere I saw some replacement pads covered in a knitted fabric which would be a lot cooler, but you think I can find the site again?
confused.gif

You would think the same search would come up with the same results wouldnt you, Where did you get yours?

Cheers
Graham
UK
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #207 of 1,556
tube's newbie question

Has anyone tried the tung sol 6sn7 gtb, are they good for general listing for 336i
what is the different between the gt and gtb models
best

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #208 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by foreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tube's newbie question

Has anyone tried the tung sol 6sn7 gtb, are they good for general listing for 336i
what is the different between the gt and gtb models
best

From TubeWorld:

(6SN7GT and VT-231 have a 300VDC Max Plate Voltage rating, most are 1940's)

(6SN7GTA is improved, uprated to 7.5 watts plate dissipation, 450VDC Plate Voltage rating, electrically similiar to 6CG7)

(6SN7GTB is a controlled warm-up version of 6SN7GTA; 11 second heater warmup, 450VDC Plate Voltage rating. It also has 200VDC heater/cathode voltage rating)

Jun 14, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #209 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by nalth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From TubeWorld:

(6SN7GT and VT-231 have a 300VDC Max Plate Voltage rating, most are 1940's)

(6SN7GTA is improved, uprated to 7.5 watts plate dissipation, 450VDC Plate Voltage rating, electrically similiar to 6CG7)

(6SN7GTB is a controlled warm-up version of 6SN7GTA; 11 second heater warmup, 450VDC Plate Voltage rating. It also has 200VDC heater/cathode voltage rating)

thank u for the info

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #210 of 1,556
Ok, I switched back to the Svetlana 6H13C today after having used the Sylvania 6AS7G for a while. I have to admit, I like the sound of the Svetlana much better - the sound has much more weight and body behind it compared to the detailed but somewhat thin Sylvania. A much more enjoyable "tube-like" sound while still retaining tightness and refinement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back