Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
Apr 22, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #1,262 of 1,556
Langrex in the UK is a very good tube seller.

Apr 23, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #1,263 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubes do have a limited life-span, although many will go 10,000 hours or more. So if you leave it on 24/7, you will burn up that life-span faster. However, for many of us, this is a non-issue - we'll probably change tubes faster than that anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Tube amps do produce heat, and tubes have the possibility of blowing, so best not to leave the amp on if you leave the house.

As for the hum, some NOS tubes can take up to a WEEK to become as quiet as they ultimately can be. That's how long it took my NOS 6SJ7GTB's to become silent, but silent they now are.

Hi,

What'd generally happen when a tube blow? Would it start a fire or something?

Which leads to my other question... how do you know if a tube is about to blow? What if the tube blows while you are listening to a pair of headphones connected to the amp?

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #1,264 of 1,556
Have had a few tubes blow. I had a one spark internally, another had a channel go out, one that just turned off like a light bulb. Just par with the course with stuff that is older than you.

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #1,265 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmallWalrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Which leads to my other question... how do you know if a tube is about to blow? What if the tube blows while you are listening to a pair of headphones connected to the amp?

In some tubes the plates themselves (not the filament) will glow cherry red. But sometimes there isn't much warning. I too have had some just suddenly not come to life.

Apr 23, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #1,266 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmallWalrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I had a Sylvannia 6AS7G arc and give off a very loud pop during power-on. Quickly turned the amp (DV 336i) off in a hurry heh. The glass envelope did not break though.

I swapped out the tube and the amp has been working fine since then.

Did not have headphones connected at that time, so I don't know if a blown tube will damage them.

May 2, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #1,267 of 1,556
newbie here...

got a used 336i and just started rolling tubes. spent a few days with the stock "plain Jane" Shuguang to have a base for future comparisons. btw, it's shu-guang. two Chinese characters. the phrase means the sunlight that breaks the dark night.

curious what their factory looks like? here's a tour:
¶V¨Ó¶V¦~»´ªºÀÆ¥ú¯uªÅºÞ¼t
it's a Chinese audio magazine's article. if you're curious about a particular caption i can help with the translation...here's just some bits:
the young guy is the third-generation. not even 30 and he's running the factory.
the older gentleman holding a 6AS7 (?) used to run the factory in the 60s. now he is the treasure of Shuguang.
it all started in 1958. (They released some 50-year anniversary special editions of their tubes.)

Shuguang also makes some (expensive) tubes for other audio shops. for example, the Ming Da 6SN7:
Ming Da "Globe Trotter" 6SN7, priced per tube
ÃÀÐǵç×Ó

i'll stick with used U.S. vintage.

my current tubes:
Sylvania JAN-CHS-6SN7GT
RCA 6080

this combo costs me less than $5 and i am rather happy with the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

still going thru this long thread and have yet to learn more about all the techanical things like getters, etc. i usually just stick the tubes on and enjoy the music.
regular_smile .gif

May 2, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #1,268 of 1,556
Yeah, I have that combo and like it a lot. You can get a cbs hytron 6sn7gt dirt cheap also. That is a good score too.

May 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #1,269 of 1,556
shiaokun,
Have you tried the RCA 6AS7 w/grey plates? It would compliment the Sylvania very well, IMHO. Dr. Wells claims that the Shuguang works very well in the Bada PH-12, but I have yet to try the tube.

With the 336i, I preferred the Mullard 6080 or the Svetlana 6H13C in the rear. The Tung-Sol 5998 comes highly recommended, too, although I've only heard them in the DV337.

PAB

May 3, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #1,270 of 1,556
B.P.

glad to hear you have, and like, the same combo. i do have a Hytron 6SN7GT. i'll bump it up on my to-try list. also got GE, RCA, Sylvania, etc. the usualy (cheap) suspects.
biggrin.gif

PAB,

i have a RCA JAN 6AS7G and a bunch of 6080s. was going to try a GE or a RCA JAN 6080 but now i think i'll go for the RCA JAN 6AS7G in the next round. i am making slow progress as i'd like to spend at least a few days with a particular combo before i move on to the next. i also got Shelly's PF-mod MF x-can and i am alternating b/t it and the DV336i. it's going to take me a while before i go through the tubes i got. (Shelly already put in Russian tubes for the x-can. i'm concentrating on tube-rolling for the DV336i now.)

i thought anything Mullard made commands a high price?
frown.gif

Shuguang makes quite a few 6SN7 types. i am still browsing the net to figure them out myself. so far there's the "plain Jane" (like $2 a bulb) and then there's an export version (sorry, i don't know what's the difference b/t the domestic and the export version).

there are at least two versions of their 50-year anniversary special editions:
ÌÔ±¦Íø - Êï¹âÕäÆ·¹ÜÅçÌ¿¹ÜCV181-Z ºÚ²£ ÕäÆ·µç×Ó¹ÜÓù²Ø°æÒ²Óлõ ³§¼ÒÖ±Ïú
$750 for a "normal" pair; $1180 for a collector's edition pair.
that's about USD$110 and 173.
eek.gif

Shuguang also makes other CV-181 types. other than the Ming Da i mentioned, there's also another one for a Chinese audio shop:
־ƽ¸Ä½ø°æCV181,È«Ã泬Խ6N8P,ºÅ³Æ“ÍòÓùÜÖ®Íõ ”-Ó°ÒôµçÆ÷ - ÌÔ±¦Íø

i wouldn't be surprised if there are more out there...so many tubes, so little time.
normal_smile .gif

if you're curious, google 曙光 (that's Shu-guang in Chinese) followed by the tube model. you'll get lots of hits on the Chinese websites.

now, is there someone on this thread curious enough, and also with a deep pocket, to try any of these expensive Chinese tubes and share the experience with us?
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 3, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #1,271 of 1,556
Someone was trying to sell those Shuguang CV181's on Audiogon for $250/pair, and for that price, I really doubt they will get many people to try them. NOS real Mullard CV181/ECC32's can be had for $350/pair - Chinese tubes don;t have a good enough reputation to warrant $250/pair for a re-issue like that. Plus the white base looks awful
wink.gif

May 5, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #1,273 of 1,556
Just received my DV 336SE. Since this is my very first tube amp, need some recommendations for some good tubes which can give me a SQ. Generally, my music is from the late 50's to the 90's.

That's my DV 336SE with the Compass.

CIMG3086.jpg

May 5, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #1,274 of 1,556
My stock recommendation is: get an RCA 6SN7GT (~$20) and a Sylvania 6SN7GTB (~$20) as alternate front tubes, and an RCA 6AS7 grey plate (~$20) and a Sylvania 6AS7G (~$15-$20)--or Svetlana 6H13C (~$10) or Mullard 6080 (~$20)--as alternate rear tubes. That way you get the warm, rich sound of RCA and the neutral, detailed sound of Sylvania to either reinforce (RCA front/RCA rear, Sylvania front/Sylvania rear) or to compliment (RCA front/Sylvania rear, Sylvania front/RCA rear) one another; that's four different sonic pictures.

There are "cost-no-object" versions of RCA and Sylvania, too, but my usual recommendation is what I've already written above.

May 5, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #1,275 of 1,556
I think those are great recommendations. I like the idea of getting an RCA pair and Sylvania pair and then playing around with combinations.

I also think it's worth mentioning that a Tung-Sol tall-bottle 6SN7GTB (original USA made, not re-issue) and a Tung-Sol 5998 (rear) is a GREAT combination - that is what I use in mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back