Darkest Desires Part V
Oct 10, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #2,087 of 2,645
The new Arch Enemy was awesome. I am sooooo glad I found this thread. I haven't had a chance to check out Enslaved yet. Maybe tomorrow. Man I really wish I could afford the new Kenwood 60gb music keg and another pair of Grado RS-2 or Denon D2000 to properly enjoy my music again. Someday...

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #2,088 of 2,645
My first Death haul in satan knows how long! Actually, one's thrash but it is VERY close to death metal. Anyways, any thoughts on these albums? I'll be receiving them from Australia in about a week..

ATROCITY - HALLUCINATIONS
DEVASTATION - IDOLATRY
DEMIGOD - SLUMBER OF SULLEN EYES
DESULTORY - INTO ETERNITY
DESULTORY - BITTERNESS
MIASMA - CHANGES

All first press

DA-I'm here to take on the death metal crown as well, however, it looks like I have some stiff competition :>

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #2,089 of 2,645
CWM
Sorry have none of those in your new list........I listen to very melodic death metal, don't like real brutal stuff like Nile etc.

I do have a fair amount of those thrash/speed metal albums from the 1980's, too bad they didn't discover how to use distorted vocal techniques till later since it makes things much more interesting. Some of the 1980 cover artwork look pretty silly by todays standards, but that gives them old school charm
\m/
very_evil_smiley.gif
\m/

MF
Hope others here grab that new Arch Enemy.......it is greatness, the sick dueling guitar work of the Amott brothers will amaze even Nacher

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #2,091 of 2,645
I went to wikipedia and checked out melo-death. They had a list of bands that fall into this catagory. Now I am already a fan of Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy is growing on me fast, and even though it's not a real band, Dethklok is friggin' awesome. I've been checking out In Flames and a few others. I need some more suggestions from this list or even others that might not be on the list. Between Melo-death and progressive death, I've found many amazing bands and cds.

It's awesome that I can almost imagine a full bore orchestra playing these epic movements. Now with this mood, I need to dig through my friends 25K classical cd collection. I would love to actually hear some GOOD classical music redone with a modern metal flair. Especially Grieg's In The Hall Of The Mountain King, and not the Savatage version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...musical_groups

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #2,092 of 2,645
All this talk about the new Arch Enemy album has me considering giving them another spin. The last time I listened to them, a few years ago (Wages of Sin, I believe), nothing much really stuck to me. Then again, the only "melodeath" band that I've come to like is Dark Tranquillity, but I do REALLY like them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About that Nightwish - Dark Passion Play. I... I don't know wether I would like this album as much if it wouldn't have it's opening track "The Poet And The Pendulum". Even though it does have that certain Pirates of the Caribbean / Star Wars vibe, it's still the most epic symphonic metal track ever created. Therion sounds like chamber music in comparision. Also it's the only one which really manages to mix heavy guitars and drums with the dynamics of full orchestra. Amazing sound quality. ...

Upon reading statements like this, I came to be fairly optimistic about this album, as I'm the kind of nut that is a sucker for the huge epic sound. Sure enough, I was not dissapointed. I definitely think I prefer DPP to Once so far, and considering how much I like the latter's grand epic track, I was a bit surprised to find that I do. DPP is a stronger album overall, whereas I felt Once had a greater number of less compelling tracks.

The new singer does the job quite well. I think she has been buried a bit in the mix, unfortunately. Sure, she's not as OTT as Tarja, but very fitting. Tuomas is the clear brains of this operation, and he is on point with the songwriting.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #2,094 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to wikipedia and checked out melo-death. They had a list of bands that fall into this catagory. Now I am already a fan of Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy is growing on me fast, and even though it's not a real band, Dethklok is friggin' awesome. I've been checking out In Flames and a few others. I need some more suggestions from this list or even others that might not be on the list. Between Melo-death and progressive death, I've found many amazing bands and cds.

Do yourself a huge favour and check out Edge of Sanity. I'm not a fan of melodeath in general, but I really love this band. I highly recommend the albums Crimson and Crimson II, which can be described as progressive melodic death metal. Fans of Opeth should also check out this band, especially Crimson, where Mikael Åkerfeldt contributes on vocals and guitars.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #2,095 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberDuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MrFaust I would suggest to you give the following a try:
Insomnium - Above the Weeping World
Dark Tranquillity - Haven
Scar Symmetry - Either of their two albums
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Chaotic Beauty
Wintersun - s/t

Turisas I recommend to anyone
smily_headphones1.gif

This isn't classical but I'll just throw it in anyway.. are you familiar with Apocalyptica?

Thanks for the suggestions. I am very familiar with Apocalyptica. I have every cd and both dvds that they have put out. I'm one of the fans that likes the change they have gone through with adding the drummer, the heavy distortion and the guest vocalists (most of the time). The track Repressed that they did with Max Cavalera and Matt Tuck is one of my favorite tracks both musically and for what the lyrics have to say.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #2,096 of 2,645
Been listening to Arch Enemy - Wages Of Sin

Absolutely F'n Fantastic!

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #2,097 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been listening to Arch Enemy - Wages Of Sin
Absolutely F'n Fantastic!

Angela Gossow debut with AE, great stuff as are all other AE albums but I think Tyrant and Wages are thier best work so far.

Amott brothers previous band Carcass has very good album with "heartwork" also.

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #2,098 of 2,645
Brenden Small (Metalocalypse Creator) has said he is a huge fan of Cannibal Corpse, but you can definitely hear a heavy influence of AE in the Dethklok cd, at least musically. Now on to Anthems Of Rebellion. It's good, but not as good a Wages.

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #2,099 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, new to the thread!

I'm into black metal and doom metal (as the name might suggest) mostly and hope to share opinion on metal cd's with you guys through the next decade.

Hails to Khanate..........

If you are an apostle of doom metal you must surely have
-shape of despair
-my dying bride
-skepticism
-pantheist

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #2,100 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absurreality /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do yourself a huge favour and check out Edge of Sanity. I'm not a fan of melodeath in general, but I really love this band. I highly recommend the albums Crimson and Crimson II, which can be described as progressive melodic death metal. Fans of Opeth should also check out this band, especially Crimson, where Mikael Åkerfeldt contributes on vocals and guitars.

Yes indeed......the EOS albums when Dan Swano was active with band are all very high quality especially Crimson. Swano and Akerfeldt also worked together briefly in group Bloodbath, EOS to buy are:

-spectral sorrows 1993
-purgatory afterglow 1994
-crimson 1996

Crimson II 2003 does not quite recapture the magic from 1996 for me, so I would get three EOS albums above then look into Cimson II

Users who are viewing this thread

Back