Darkest Desires Part V
Oct 2, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #2,071 of 2,645
My 2 new favorite cds are Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side and Dethklok - The Dethalbum. I like just about everything Amon Amarth has done. Can someone give me more suggestions of bands and specifically albums that are similar to either one of these styles? I've been checking out At The Gates, but haven't made it too far into their catalog.

Also going to check out the newest Arch Enemy and Nightwish.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #2,072 of 2,645
I just finished listening to The Giant from Swallow the Sun's Ghosts of Lost album. I cannot get over what a PERFECT doom metal song it is. It really has everything: beautiful intro/exit, great buildup, and an awesome pace with great atmosphere. It flows perfectly, and even though it is a 12 minute song, it feels like a 6 minute song. What a great band!!! I can't wait for their next album...

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #2,073 of 2,645
Oct 4, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #2,075 of 2,645
Oct 4, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #2,076 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 2 new favorite cds are Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side and Dethklok - The Dethalbum. I like just about everything Amon Amarth has done. Can someone give me more suggestions of bands and specifically albums that are similar to either one of these styles? I've been checking out At The Gates, but haven't made it too far into their catalog.

Also going to check out the newest Arch Enemy and Nightwish.

MF
Don't let RTN see you are selling your Virgin Black Cds he will never speak to you again..........
very_evil_smiley.gif

Amon Amarth = nordic melodic death metal (viking themes, rasp vocal)

I would start collecting the melo death legends:
Arch Enemy
Dark Tranquility
In Flames

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #2,077 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MF
Don't let RTN see you are selling your Virgin Black Cds he will never speak to you again..........
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hey, I'm biting my tongue. One can only hope he is ripping to the HD
evil_smiley.gif

MrFaust: You ARE, aren't you?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #2,079 of 2,645
Okay, I've asked this in a number of places and am yet to get any good answers, so...

I'm looking for something that sounds similar to the song Opeth - Epilogue(off My arms, your hearse -album). Note: I'm not looking for something similar to Opeth as a whole, just this one song.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #2,080 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberDuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I've asked this in a number of places and am yet to get any good answers, so...

I'm looking for something that sounds similar to the song Opeth - Epilogue(off My arms, your hearse -album). Note: I'm not looking for something similar to Opeth as a whole, just this one song.

The outro to MAYH is not a tyical Opeth song style but an atmospheric mood setting to close album, sounds like Pink Floyd "wish you were here" era or some King Crimson stuff.
For dark metal that has similar style try:

Anathema - Judgement + Alternate 4
Agalloch - Mantle + Ashes Against the Grain

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #2,081 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I'm biting my tongue. One can only hope he is ripping to the HD
evil_smiley.gif

MrFaust: You ARE, aren't you?
very_evil_smiley.gif

But of course I am.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #2,082 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The outro to MAYH is not a tyical Opeth song style but an atmospheric mood setting to close album, sounds like Pink Floyd "wish you were here" era or some King Crimson stuff.
For dark metal that has similar style try:

Anathema - Judgement + Alternate 4
Agalloch - Mantle + Ashes Against the Grain

I'm aware of that, which is exactly why I stressed I want that type of stuff. Pink Floyd and King Crimson (though I'm mostly just familiar with In the Court of the Crimson King) are bands I enjoy anyway. Agalloch I'm familiar with, Anathema I'm yet to check out. Oh, and it need not be metal, I'm rather versatile when it comes to music. I especially love the keyboards on that track and it does indeed remind me of Pink Floyd.

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #2,083 of 2,645
Try out Enslaved. They are the King Crimson of dark metal IMO. Actually they are KC fans, and their stuff is often really progressive / weird. Mardraum and every album after it have that prog style, older ones are more basic viking metal.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #2,085 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try out Enslaved. They are the King Crimson of dark metal IMO. Actually they are KC fans, and their stuff is often really progressive / weird. Mardraum and every album after it have that prog style, older ones are more basic viking metal.

Will do, thanks for the suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back