Darkest Desires Part V
Sep 25, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #2,056 of 2,645
I recently have been enjoying

Anathema - A Fine Day to Exit
Anathema - A Natural Disaster

Matthew I believe you would enjoy these
smily_headphones1.gif

Soft Rock with excellent atmosphere, musicianship and depressing lyrics. Some songs have a Pink Floyd-esque touch to them too.

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #2,057 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently have been enjoying

Anathema - A Fine Day to Exit
Anathema - A Natural Disaster

Matthew I believe you would enjoy these
smily_headphones1.gif

Soft Rock with excellent atmosphere, musicianship and depressing lyrics. Some songs have a Pink Floyd-esque touch to them too.

I have been giving them a bit of airtime lately. Pretty good stuff. VERY melancholy.

I was rummaging around here and other places, and I landed on them and Insomnium. I really like Insomnium. They are like Dark Tranquility bit a bit different. Good stuff...

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #2,058 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been giving them a bit of airtime lately. Pretty good stuff. VERY melancholy.

I was rummaging around here and other places, and I landed on them and Insomnium. I really like Insomnium. They are like Dark Tranquility bit a bit different. Good stuff...

Later Anathema albums do have a melancholy Pink Floyd vibe to them, also would recommend "Judgement" album.

I was pretty impressed when I got my Insomnium albums not too long ago, but I remember Nacher thought they were nothing special. Still I think they are making some of the best new melo death and compares favorably to the classics of the 1990s.....I ended up getting all 3 albums.

Asmox
After listening again to early After Forever they do often have a lush majestic feel to them sometimes even serene, early Tristania with Morton Veland still in group was much darker more gothic, heavy, evil........but still think Vibeke as good or better than Floor with female vocals

If After Forever could just edit out the occassional fast keyboard work that sometimes has a cheesey feel to it I would like first two albums even more.

Sep 27, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #2,059 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was pretty impressed when I got my Insomnium albums not too long ago, but I remember Nacher thought they were nothing special. Still I think they are making some of the best new melo death and compares favorably to the classics of the 1990s.....I ended up getting all 3 albums.

I didn't really get any kicks from Insomnium, but it seems that almost everyone else is loving them, so my opinion might not matter in this case.

But to my main point, I just bought Dark Passion Play, and I'm actually surprised. It's miles better than "Evanescene with orchestra-Once". 76 minutes long with a 14 minute opening track. Pleasantly hard to get into, and doesn't grow old with a few listens. While Anette might not have such a dynamic voice as Tarja, her voice is very pleasant and works really well in the slower songs imo. And let's face it, there hasn't been anything classical or artistic in Tarja's singing since Wishmaster.

Dark Passion Play is the most expensive record ever made in Finland, and it shows. There have been way over one hundred musicians playing/singing on DPP, and it does have the most massive production I have ever heard on metal album, or any rock/pop album for that matter. DPP still sounds kind of mainstream though, but not in a nu-metal way. It's more like symphonic rock / movie soundtrack. I think every symphonic metal fan just have to give this album a listen, even though it's by no means a perfect album. The special edition also features second cd, which has the whole album as an instrumental version (What?).

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #2,060 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't really get any kicks from Insomnium, but it seems that almost everyone else is loving them, so my opinion might not matter in this case.

But to my main point, I just bought Dark Passion Play, and I'm actually surprised. It's miles better than "Evanescene with orchestra-Once". 76 minutes long with a 14 minute opening track. Pleasantly hard to get into, and doesn't grow old with a few listens. While Anette might not have such a dynamic voice as Tarja, her voice is very pleasant and works really well in the slower songs imo. And let's face it, there hasn't been anything classical or artistic in Tarja's singing since Wishmaster.

Dark Passion Play is the most expensive record ever made in Finland, and it shows. There have been way over one hundred musicians playing/singing on DPP, and it does have the most massive production I have ever heard on metal album, or any rock/pop album for that matter. DPP still sounds kind of mainstream though, but not in a nu-metal way. It's more like symphonic rock / movie soundtrack. I think every symphonic metal fan just have to give this album a listen, even though it's by no means a perfect album. The special edition also features second cd, which has the whole album as an instrumental version (What?).

One of the very few cases where you and I are completely opposite in our conclusions and opinions. I have really gotten into the Insomnium that I have heard so far. I have spent a good amount of time listening to their three major releases.

I downloaded Dark Passion Play, and WOW, that album is NOT for me. It reminds me of a mix of Within Temptation/After Forever with an adventure movie soundtrack on massive steroids. You were right about the BIG sound, but it does not work for me. It sounds like they tried to throw everything they had into the mix, but instead of adding atmosphere, it made the sound very convoluted. I did not care for the new singer's voice. Honestly, when I heard the album, I thought I was caught in the middle of Pirates of the Caribbean and a standard issue goth metal album. And the spoken part in the middle of The Poet and the Pendulum sounded like Keira Knightley from Pirates...

Although not news, I am sure enjoying the heck out of Noir from Callisto. I am also digging Silent Waters from Amorphis.

Enverxis: Any news on Fortissimo?

Sep 30, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #2,061 of 2,645
Quote:

One of the very few cases where you and I are completely opposite in our conclusions and opinions. I have really gotten into the Insomnium that I have heard so far. I have spent a good amount of time listening to their three major releases.

I downloaded Dark Passion Play, and WOW, that album is NOT for me. It reminds me of a mix of Within Temptation/After Forever with an adventure movie soundtrack on massive steroids. You were right about the BIG sound, but it does not work for me. It sounds like they tried to throw everything they had into the mix, but instead of adding atmosphere, it made the sound very convoluted. I did not care for the new singer's voice. Honestly, when I heard the album, I thought I was caught in the middle of Pirates of the Caribbean and a standard issue goth metal album. And the spoken part in the middle of The Poet and the Pendulum sounded like Keira Knightley from Pirates...

Now have to find some samples of new Nightwish before I make a hasty buy decision next week, I don't like any Nightwish that much so will not take much to stop the purchase

All this talk of After Forever etc made me revist early Trail of Tears (not the newest album) and I had forgotten how much I like them, beauty/beast style but I think better than AF (especially two newest AF albums) and again vocals that match Floor with better music.

profound2.jpg
disclosu.jpg

Purchased new Arch Enemy today at Best Buy...........

Sep 30, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #2,062 of 2,645
Quote:

All this talk of After Forever etc made me revist early Trail of Tears (not the newest album) and I had forgotten how much I like them, beauty/beast style but I think better than AF (especially two newest AF albums) and again vocals that match Floor with better music.

Trail of Tears Disclosure in Red is excelent.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #2,065 of 2,645
DA: Did you get a chance to check out the Dethklok cd yet?
Anyone else for that matter? I know it's a from a cartoon and all that, but I actually really like the cd a lot. It seems to be fairly well mastered also.

Sep 30, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #2,068 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DA: Did you get a chance to check out the Dethklok cd yet?
Anyone else for that matter? I know it's a from a cartoon and all that, but I actually really like the cd a lot. It seems to be fairly well mastered also.

I did actually check out some short samples after seeing drummer was none other than famous vetran Gene Hoglan and they really are pretty good, not truely great but for an Adult Swim cartoon show band they put out amazing high quality music.

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #2,069 of 2,645
Quote:

Haha, I guess we will hear from you in about a week, eh?

Listening right now.........amazing!

"Tyrant" is the best Arch Enemy album ever......at least equal to "wages of sin" which is quite a statement by itself. The Amott guitar work on entire album is phenominal and multifaceted, seamless transitions from slow, medium, to soaring blistering shredfests all very soulful and of the highest possible quality, Nacher will freak out when he hears this. Also some brief acoustic guitar sections blended in, never a dull or predictable moment, again just amazing stuff here with very good sound.

At this point as good as Angela's vocals are they are the only limiting factor, she has further refined her heavy rasp to give it more varitation but to go to next level vocally must have greater tonal range and/or mix clean/distorted styles.

Buy this now it is essential.........10/10

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #2,070 of 2,645
Quote:

Listening right now.........amazing!

"Tyrant" is the best Arch Enemy album ever......at least equal to "wages of sin" which is quite a statement by itself. The Amott guitar work on entire album is phenominal and multifaceted, seamless transitions from slow, medium, to soaring blistering shredfests all very soulful and of the highest possible quality, Nacher will freak out when he hears this. Also some brief acoustic guitar sections blended in, never a dull or predictable moment, again just amazing stuff here with very good sound.

At this point as good as Angela's vocals are they are the only limiting factor, she has further refined her heavy rasp to give it more varitation but to go to next level vocally must have greater tonal range and/or mix clean/distorted styles.

Buy this now it is essential.........10/10

Do _not_ make posts like this. My wallet hurts enough already! Bah, now I'm forced to buy this album next time I'm visiting a record store.

Roadtonowhere : At least we agree on Callisto - Noir and Amorphis - Silent Waters. Both are excellent albums.

I actually found a new interesting female vox metal album, Eilera - Fusion. That band just got signed to Spinefarm Records, and that Fusion is their second album if I'm correct. Most likely no one has ever heard the first one. This one is really nice, and it's been a long time since the last time some new Spinefarm artist caught my interest. Instead of the usual goth-approach, Eilera is somehow different. The singer sounds a bit like Björk at times, and the tracks have a lot of variety. Some are metal, some more acoustic/mellow and the rest are kind of exprimental/progressive. Enverxis should order this ASAP.

About that Nightwish - Dark Passion Play. It really seems to get a divided response. Some people love it, others hate, but I haven't heard anyone saying it's "just ok". I don't know wether I would like this album as much if it wouldn't have it's opening track "The Poet And The Pendulum". Even though it does have that certain Pirates of the Caribbean / Star Wars vibe, it's still the most epic symphonic metal track ever created. Therion sounds like chamber music in comparision. Also it's the only one which really manages to mix heavy guitars and drums with the dynamics of full orchestra. Amazing sound quality. The rest of the album has all kinds of tracks, but really none of those are your casual female vox metal imo. It's not Within Temptaiton or Evanescence stuff either, like Once was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back