Darkest Desires PART IV
May 30, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #106 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by lethoso
widow's weeds is quite close to beyond the veil in terms of sound.

Anyway, last night i went to see virgin black live. They were fantastic, very clean sound, sounded just as sharp as their cds. They played with naxzul who are decent black metal, but they lost a fair bit compared to their cd tracks, not that it really mattered. Also, one of the better bits of the night was seeing this idiot who kept yelling "play some ****ing slayer" get punched in the back of the head after he threw a cup on stage.

And yeah... anyone heard anything from leave's eyes? new (dunno how new) b&b with liv kristine. I quite like em.

I have two VIRGIN BLACK albums, I think I liked the debut album best. Very accomplished mixture of diverse music styles including classical instruments, pushing new boundries for dark metal........good stuff for open minds. Would not necessarily appeal to typical Slayer fan, he he.

I only know LIV KRISTINE from her vocals with THEATRE Of TRAGEDY, did she part ways with TOT or is this just a side project?

May 30, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #107 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Hey Ghouls,
I am watching Headbangers Ball on MTV2 right now with Cristina Scabia/Lacuna Coil as special live guests in studio........doing live acoustic song right now, Cristina looks really fine.
icon10.gif

Checking it out right now

May 30, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #109 of 1,001
Quote:

I only know LIV KRISTINE from her vocals with THEATRE Of TRAGEDY, did she part ways with TOT or is this just a side project?

she parted ways with them. Leave's eyes is much more of a focus on her vocals than in tot, the music is similar in style to tot though.

May 30, 2004 at 9:03 AM Post #110 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
I hate this show.. all they ever play is nu-metal or death metal, I know it's an Amercian show and those are the US styles but damn, there are other styles of metal out there folks.

By the time I got to that show, all they were playing was that nu metal crap and the band being interviewed was Killswitch Engage. I managed to sit through two videos and four commercial breaks, before abandoning the TV.

May 30, 2004 at 10:04 AM Post #111 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivion
Well, sparked by your hospitality (
wink.gif
) I will try to chat along in this thread.
biggrin.gif

Like DarkAngel already mentioned, I simply love 'Beyond the Veil' by 'Tristania', I don't have any other albums by Tristania though. I'm planning on buying the rest, but are they also good and are they in any way similar to Beyond the Veil? Because the style used in Beyond the Veil is something which really sets my heart alight.
3000smile.gif

Next I would like some recommendations about what might be a good buy for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
I mainly listen to Power, Trash and Heavy Metal like; Gamma Ray, Metallica, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. But - more in this threads spirit - I also immensely enjoy Tristania, Opeth, In Flames, Children of Bodom and Vintersorg. Maybe someone knows some more bands which I may enjoy? I will be delighted with even more Metal to listen to. ^.^

I love Children of Bodom. I also like In Flames fairly well and I have a couple Opeth CDs, but hardly ever listen to them. The only Tristania I have is Widows Weeds and it is not among my favorites, but I will pull it out once in a while. Opeth and Tristania are too slow and beautiful for my needs.
Now that you can see what direction I come from. I would like to recommend to you, Ivion; Old Mans Child. I would say start with either In Defiance of Existence or Ill Natured Spiritual Invasion. Both are very good, and similar in overall feel.

Hey DA, I am listening to NM - Goat Horns right now. I was reading through this version of darkest desires tonight, and saw your recent post on this CD. So, I thought I would pull it out and give it a spin. I think the music is good, but the almost whispering nature of the vocals is not agreeing with me well.

May 30, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #112 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
I hate this show.. all they ever play is nu-metal or death metal, I know it's an Amercian show and those are the US styles but damn, there are other styles of metal out there folks.

Yes that is basically true that most groups/music they feature on HBB2 does suck compared to stuff we discuss here, or the classic metal groups. I also switched channels to Fuse as soon as Lacuna Coil left.
frown.gif

I like URANIUM/URANIUM CLASSIC shows on Fuse channel more as far as music they play.

I rocked out entire Saturday night:
10-11pm HBB2 on MTV2 (Lacuna Coil guest)
11-12am Uranium Classics on Fuse
12-1am Metal Mania on VH1 Classic

May 30, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #113 of 1,001
Quote:

Well, sparked by your hospitality (
wink.gif
) I will try to chat along in this thread.
biggrin.gif

Like DarkAngel already mentioned, I simply love 'Beyond the Veil' by 'Tristania', I don't have any other albums by Tristania though. I'm planning on buying the rest, but are they also good and are they in any way similar to Beyond the Veil? Because the style used in Beyond the Veil is something which really sets my heart alight.
3000smile.gif

Next I would like some recommendations about what might be a good buy for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
I mainly listen to Power, Trash and Heavy Metal like; Gamma Ray, Metallica, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. But - more in this threads spirit - I also immensely enjoy Tristania, Opeth, In Flames, Children of Bodom and Vintersorg. Maybe someone knows some more bands which I may enjoy? I will be delighted with even more Metal to listen to. ^.^

Well next step for you is to immediately get:
TRISTANIA - Widow's Weeds

Then next steps in Tristania family would be:
TRISTANIA - World of Glass (minus Morten Veland)
SIRENIA - Elixir for Existence (Veland's new group)
SIRENIA - Sixes and Sevens

Good groups/albums that have similar sound:
THEATRE OF TRAGEDY - Aegis, Velvet Darkness, TOT 1
TRAIL OF TEARS - New Dimension, Disclosure in Red, Profundemonium
SINS OF THY BELOVED - Lake of Sorrow, Perpetual Desolation
PENUMBRA - Last Bewitchment
DARZAMAT - Flames of Black Art, Opium of Black Veil

You may also like Netherland groups AFTER FOREVER and WITHIN TEMPTATION, Finnish group NIGHTWISH and Italian group LACUNA COIL although they are not as dark sounding as above groups, more mainstream sound.

Tell us more about your other groups and which albums you have/like.

May 30, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #114 of 1,001
Quote:

3000smile.gif

'Beyond The Veil' has been spun daily since I got it 3 weeks ago. As for the other Tristania releases everyone is correct in saying 'Widow's Weeds' is worth getting. (What I thought of those two in more detail are on page two of this Darkest Desires part IV thread).

The follow up to BTV 'World Of Glass' is a disappointment for me and not just the inevitable let down of a band usually following a masterpiece with a lesser work, although a similiar sound is evident.. It's not even the same band to my ears-brain. DA informed me that a pivotal member, Morten Veland, left after BTV.

May 30, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #115 of 1,001
Quote:

Well next step for you is to immediately get:
TRISTANIA - Widow's Weeds

Then next steps in Tristania family would be:
TRISTANIA - World of Glass
SIRENIA - Elixir for Existence
SIRENIA - Sixes and Sevens

Ivion I should receive early this week Tristania's 'Midwintertears/Angina' which is Tristania's unreleased material: 4 tracks from the WW sessions and 3 tracks from the BTV sessions (as I understand it).

SIRENIA's Elixir for Existence could arrive tomorrow. This is the aforementioned Morten Veland's band after leaving Tristania. I'm very curious to hear this as I know what Tristania sounds like without him...but what does he sound like without them?

May 30, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #116 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I'm going downtown and see if I see it on the rack, if not I'll order it.

And for some reason today I remembered spotting a CD/vinyl shop awhile ago looking very macabre in a good way. It would be great to have even a scaled down 'theend' within physical reach. I'm gonna swing past there as well.

Well I crapped out on both counts. Upon finding the small independent CD/record shop my memory was refreshed:it was daytime,very bright and closed so I couldn't see in the window any lettering to identify the materials on the walls. But it was the shop's name that stuck in my mind The Pit Records. Dark?,depends...metal?, no. They have a website here.
600smile.gif

Further down the street (HMV) I thought I might find that new Therion before the official release date as I did with the last My Dying Bride release. No luck. Although I did make use of their listening station to hear Venom's remastered 1982 release 'Black Metal', Mayhem's 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas', Therion's 'Theli' and Arch Enemy's 'Wages of Sin'. Unfortunately on a Saturday night I found it impossible to concentrate with a small line of people forming at my rear looking impatient (not looking at my rear with impatience, exactly
wink.gif
) and the three I was with looking at their watches. And I left empty handed!

But I did see two very interesting things.
Examination of Arch Enemy's 'Anthems of Rebellion' revealed a bonus disc that was a DVD-audio only. And Dimmu Borgir's 'Death Cult Armageddon' not redbook but actual DVD-A. Are high-rez issues coming to dark metal?
cool.gif

May 30, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #117 of 1,001
My copy of Arch Enemy Anthems is a digipak and has a DVD disc that if I remember correctly is only audio, in multi channel sound.
Quote:

from Arch Enemy's site http://www.archenemy.net/
The initial pressing of the European edition of ARCH ENEMY's "Anthems Of Rebellion" CD is available as a strictly limited 2-CD version. Aside from the regular album, there will be an audio-only DVD as a bonus disc, containing three live-songs recorded during the "Wages Of Sin" tour with Angela Gossow on vocals. In addition, the limited double-digi pack version will include three Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes of songs from the new album while the limited jewel-case will contain two Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes.

Here is the track listing for the two different, limited-edition bonus discs:

EU Bonus Disc 2-CD Digi pack: Live tracks:

Lament Of A Mortal Soul
Behind The Smile
Diva Satanica
Dolby Digital 5.1 Mixes:
Exist To Exit
Leader Of The Rats
Dead Eyes See No Future
EU Bonus Disc 2-CD jewelcase: Live tracks:
Lament Of A Mortal Soul
Behind The Smile
Diva Satanica
Dolby Digital 5.1 Mixes:
Leader Of The Rats
Dead Eyes See No Future

Additionally, the album is also available on vinyl.

The initial US version of the album will be in jewel case and feature the bonus disc with all 6 bonus tracks.

edit
I see on Dimmu Borgir's website that DCA was released late last year on 5.1 channel DVD audio. How in the name of all unholy did I miss that?
Now I've gotta find that somewhere. Where did you see this DVD? Can you get one and mail it to me?

May 31, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #120 of 1,001
You're in Toronto, eyeteeth?

I, too, am searching for good record stores in Toronto. So far everything I've found has been on Queen St. W or just off it.

Penguin is really good, as is Rotate This as is Electron. But beyond that I don't seem to be finding anything. I don't think any of the above would have metal; they're mostly indie/electronica/hip-hop.

Let me know if you find anything.

Of course, I live right near the greatest record store in the world: Aquarius Records! (probably the best place to look for cutting-edge experimental metal, too.)

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back