Dark Side Of The Moon versus OK Computer
Aug 7, 2009 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
So over time I've deducted that these two bands are the two most beloved on Head-fi with the Floyd taking an obvious lead. I was curious how the two albums would fare up against one another........ Pink Floyd's most beloved work against Radiohead's most beloved work......the two albums are separated by an exact 25 year margin and are often compared for being conceptual in a similar manner.....

So which do you choose?

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 46
Darkside, No comparison. They shouldn't be compared really.

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 46
A silly comparison.

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 46
The most beloved bands in head-fi is without a doubt Pink Floyd and The Beatles. We should do a Dark Side of the Moon vs Abbey Road topic, that'll be more fun. And after those 2 bands the likes of Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Metallica and Dream Theater are more worthy of the title "most popular in head-fi". If you add in classical music you can add in Beethoven, Brahms, Bach and Mahler, if you add in jazz there's Davis and Coltrane (suprisingly head-fi doesn't seem to like Mingus a lot).

I don't think head-fi is into alternative rock at all, there doesn't seem to be a lot of alternative rock topics here.

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 46
I can't vote. Radiohead who?
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #7 of 46
Sorry to disagree with you folks, but I believe this is a valid poll. So what that O.K. Computer is going to get slaughtered, it doesn't invalidate the popularity and brilliance of the album. I mean if we want to get serious here, one could say that anything outside of Bach is just an also-ran. This isn't the point. Music is big, beautiful, and more supple than any hard and fast divisions we could throw at it. For instance, my father is obsessed with Moby's - Play. No matter what I introduce him to, day after day, it is back to Moby. It is the only album he listens to. Yes, he knows Dark Side of the Moon but to him, he'll take Play any day of the week. Go figure. Anyway, I started a poll similar to this awhile ago so for those of you that are interested in voting or even bashing it, go for it:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/rad...-floyd-415992/

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 46
Ok Computer. I'm Karma Police guy

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't think it was going to be as lopsided as it seems. On Rate Your Music, OK Computer has a higher rating than Dark Side

Not everyone uses that - I'd suspect the demographics skew heavily towards the young.

As good as OK Computer is (I eventually warmed up to it), it isn't a watershed classic the way that DSoTM is. Look at the sales charts - DSoTM has bridged a few generations as a classic. OK Computer will be a niche classic in 20 years, but DSoTM will still post strong sales and continue to reach new audiences.

As was pointed out, a better poll would be DSoTM against a Beatles classic. They have proven staying power, as well.

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #15 of 46
Totally valid poll, especially considering that OK Computer is quite possibly the best album mankind will ever produce, and DSoTM is a second-rate soundtrack to the Wizard of Oz. Chew on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back