Dark day in audio selling/buying
Oct 16, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope my experiences selling gear here will be as good as you all say. I am trying to get my post count up so that I can post some items for sale, but I am mostly a lurker so that will take some time
wink.gif

I'm trying to do the same thing. Need to sell some stuff as my buying power has dropped about 30% in a few months. How low can the Australian dollar go?

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #33 of 46
fortunately, i've had no bad transaction experiences online (ebay 6 years, head-fi 2.5 years).
i love head-fi because people trust each other, and i've always been rewarded by my trust in others. i've dealt with people in Canada and the US. ofcourse, i may just be lucky or may not have enough transactions under my belt on head-fi, but i like to be optimistic
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #35 of 46
I'd just like to chime in that everyone here on head-fi has been great in all the transactions I've made. And I've bought and sold a LOT of stuff here. Even international folks have been fine to deal with. Generally people into hi-fi audio care as much about their equipment as you do. So the things you buy and sell are usually in great condition.

I've dealt on audiogon and other places but nothing really beats head-fi for a great community of folks.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #36 of 46
I have had both wonderful experiences and nasty disappointments buying and selling on the www. One fellow in Italy, to whom I sold a microphone pamphlet, later sent me a Christmas card. More recently, I bought a preamp on eBay, and it arrived more dead than alive, and was not what the seller strongly hinted that it was. I looked at the ad again, and realized that they had used that old trick cartoonists are so fond of, excluding the subject of the punch line panel from the earlier panels. The photos of the amp were cropped to hide what the amp really was. Me and my cursed impulse buys!

It is like life in general, good & bad, we just need to be more mature, more wary, more savvy.

Laz

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #37 of 46
I've never had any bad experience, yet. But I've only bought 4 items here at head-fi and not too expensive items ($300 was the most expensive). But in the "old days", there was only AudioMart. And I've bought and sold bigger items then (full range ribbon speakers and monster mono-block Krell amps). And even then, I did not experience any unpleasantries. I think dealing with head-fiers/audiophiles who are knowledgeable and have the same hobby usually results in a positive transaction.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #38 of 46
No place is perfect. I even had a bad experience here with someone trying to pull the old -- "you said the item was perfect" routine to try and get some of their money back after a sale. I had a buyer send me a 20x macro photo of the slightest discoloration on a case (must have been .5 mm long and 1/4 than the width of a hair - basically invisible to the human eye) and try and blackmail me for some money back. I just simply wrote. "Send it back, I will refund" and never heard from them again. I'd fallen for that trick before, I knew I'd get that response. They're expecting to you to go, "oh, oh, I'm sorry, let me send you $20....." No, no place is perfect.

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #39 of 46
I've only had one negative experience buying through Head-fi, and that was several years ago with an "excellent condition" walkman that arrived so scratched and dirt encrusted, it appeared to have been involved in a bomb blast. But all the others were excellent. However, everyone still needs to be on guard as scammers do rear their scumbag heads here every now and then.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #40 of 46
It is not proper to generalize, I've had good/bad experiences with both Canadians and Americans.

To US people shipping to Canada: There are a few simple things that would make your Canadian friends much happier when dealing with you.

First of all, don't be scared to ship to Canada, it is not THAT much extra work.

If you are sending used equipment, you should write that it is "used" on the customs declaration.

For value please do not put the cost of a new/replacement item, as Customs will most always charge tax and will calculate it based on that value.

Saying that the item is a "gift" is of no consequence at all, so don't even bother.

That's it!

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #41 of 46
Ebay is a joke at the moment, I keep selling items then after they win they enter into a long debate on minute details already explained in the listing and eventually renege on the deal. This has happened in four out of my last five sales!

The best one so far was a laptop with 12 months warranty that at the time of the listing had 9 months left, the buyer asked for the serial and checked which is fine but then would not buy it because it had eight months three weeks not nine months left, am i being unfair in thinking that is idiotic?

Another thing that infuriates me is great communication before a seller has your cash then silence after when you are trying to get a tracking number! Rage!

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by karthur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saying that the item is a "gift" is of no consequence at all, so don't even bother.

That's it!

Depends where in the world tbh.
I had my Koss KSC-75 shipped labelled as "children's toy" hehe.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #43 of 46
I'm one of those that never had problems with ebay.

The only thing near a problem I had was with a seller selling "mint" CDs that were not so mint after all, one of them had a scratch that made it skip on my living room stereo (that is a bit sensitive).

Of course he said that I could return it but for a 2 euro cd who cared, a bit of polishing turned it into new. But he shouldn't be describing them as mint to start and that was the point I made.

Besides that all was smooth except for a few mail delays (not seller's fault from what I got from the stamp dates).

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #44 of 46
what do you do when the item you get has no serial # on it?

this happened to me just this week ;(

I bought an item on ebay and the seller seemed to have good rep points.

the item arrived and the usual model # sticker on the bottom was removed. it COULD HAVE just fallen off in regular use but anytime a sticker with model # is removed, I kind of wonder...

there was no box, cd, manual or even wallwart. just the basic unit. the unit does work but I'm a bit annoyed at the condition (no sticker).

what would you do? I have not contacted the seller yet and am trying to find the best way to 'put' my question to him.

I once bought a laptop that had no serial # sticker on it. I did not notice this until much later and when I tried to call in for tech support, I was denied since I could not read them my serial #!

is this kind of situation 'covered' by paypal as a valid reason for wanting to return goods?

I've never had this happen on ebay to me before. should I HAVE to ask 'is is the serial # still intact'? I really should not have to ask that - that's like asking if the unit was stolen...

advice?

Jan 6, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you do when the item you get has no serial # on it?

this happened to me just this week ;(

I bought an item on ebay and the seller seemed to have good rep points.

the item arrived and the usual model # sticker on the bottom was removed. it COULD HAVE just fallen off in regular use but anytime a sticker with model # is removed, I kind of wonder...

Weird situation, it never happened to me. But I tend to do bad with serial numbers, the one on the palm III was peeling off and glued with duct tape, the one on the creative zen also, the one on the iriver you can only distinguish the first and last 3 numbers as it is badly eroded from the cable winder from the headphones.

I promise I will put that on the description if I try selling them (not that anyone will buy them or that they still have support)
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back