Dark day in audio selling/buying
Oct 7, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try selling on Agon now... with their $4 listing fee and 1.5% commission on listing price... let just say I was selling my modwright phono on agon... what once would have been $6 prior to Sept 27th is now 5x that.

Quote:

New fee structure

Please note: Starting September 27th 2008, Audiogon fees for sellers have changed. We have lowered the listing fee and added a "transaction fee" when the item sells.

Basic listing Fee: $4.00 (applies whether item sells or not)
Transaction Fee: +1.00% of sale price (applies only if item sells)

that's interesting. you will have to pay more on high-priced items, but it should be easier to gauge the market, which is a big plus. but how do they know if the item sells.

Oct 7, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's interesting. you will have to pay more on high-priced items, but it should be easier to gauge the market, which is a big plus. but how do they know if the item sells.

They apparently have edited that already... it was 1.5% and on listing price.

The only way they will know it sold is if you list it as such and/or someone leaves you feedback perhaps.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be interested to see how that effects them...

well i presumed they did it to make themselves more money, not going to be the opposite is it!

the percentage structure will gain them more revenue than flat fee, hence my comment how times are hard and its affecting selling now

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #19 of 46
this guy was selling his HD600 yesterday..

i tried contacting him twice but no reply.

how does he expect to sell

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #20 of 46
I think it's a pleasure dealing with HFers, all around. I've done several deals in person, and they're all intelligent, kind people. And the meets are great, too. If you can keep up with the manic, headphone/amp/tube obsessed personalities that show up (like our super-awesome CanJam '09 meet coordinator
biggrin.gif
), you will learn more about headphones in one meet than you will online in months.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #21 of 46
Sorry to hear about that Laurent - definitely irritating to say the least.

I've probably bought about 50 items here on head-fi and simply won't deal with anyone anywhere else for the reasons you note.

Also, I'd rather let something go for a song so a head-fier can get a great deal than take my chances dealing with the high percentage of schmoes elsewhere
smily_headphones1.gif

Beside, who else can appreciate all that vintage grado gear you have as much as head-fiers?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this guy was selling his HD600 yesterday..

i tried contacting him twice but no reply.

how does he expect to sell

Some people do work instead of hanging out at head-fi all day answering pm's.

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hear about that Laurent - definitely irritating to say the least.

I've probably bought about 50 items here on head-fi and simply won't deal with anyone anywhere else for the reasons you note.

Also, I'd rather let something go for a song so a head-fier can get a great deal than take my chances dealing with the high percentage of schmoes elsewhere
smily_headphones1.gif

Beside, who else can appreciate all that vintage grado gear you have as much as head-fiers?
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't worry I'm certain there are other fanatics out there
biggrin.gif

I just learned about the Audiogon's fees... This is bad... It's becoming like Audio-bay
biggrin.gif
(Audiogon-Ebay)

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people do work instead of hanging out at head-fi all day answering pm's.

But i SMSed him.

and even tried calling.

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #25 of 46
I hope my experiences selling gear here will be as good as you all say. I am trying to get my post count up so that I can post some items for sale, but I am mostly a lurker so that will take some time
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #26 of 46
I'm an active buyer on ebay and never had any problems.

Well, I do ask some questions because most of the time the descriptions aren't really clear. But I do pay minutes after I win the auction (yeah, I just stay there waiting and then go straigth to paypal
smily_headphones1.gif
) and never argue the price (if I find it too much my attention is drawn to something else).

Never sold anything though.

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #27 of 46
japc. Thats great to hear.
But to be fair I think most people experience trouble when they are selling stuff. All those who ask all sort of questions, lowball, agree on a deal but don't pay, ...

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #28 of 46
I'm also trying to get rid of my speakers system, I don't want to do it on ebay because they're too heavy. It's a pain trying to sell on craigslist with so many nigerian scammers.

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree, dealing here and on Agon is a smooth process.

ebay for me at the moment, is a nightmare - so many questions, which i dont mind answering, but they then seem to ask the same question in a different way, and they complain at the price!

arghgh

Speaking of hating ebay, I recently was selling a projector of mine and listed it on ebay, one day in (before any bids), I changed the description to item sold and no longer for sale and guess what I get as a message:

"Just wondering how this item can be sold as me bidding and you listing this item enters us into a legally binding contract? Dont you know when you agree to ebays rules you are agreeing to this, you better not lose site of that projector because now you are legally obligated to sell it."

My response was very politly to tell the person to buger of, and even debunked what they thought a legally binding contract was etc. I just hate people looking to screw you over.

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of hating ebay, I recently was selling a projector of mine and listed it on ebay, one day in (before any bids), I changed the description to item sold and no longer for sale and guess what I get as a message:

"Just wondering how this item can be sold as me bidding and you listing this item enters us into a legally binding contract? Dont you know when you agree to ebays rules you are agreeing to this, you better not lose site of that projector because now you are legally obligated to sell it."

My response was very politly to tell the person to buger of, and even debunked what they thought a legally binding contract was etc. I just hate people looking to screw you over.

That's the kind of comments I get these days... It's believable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back