Dark day in audio selling/buying
Jan 6, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #46 of 46
With all the transactions I have made on Head-Fi and Ebay over the years and the few craigslist purchases during the past year, I have been extremely fortunate. Making transactions on Head-Fi have always been a please (so far, knock on wood). While I try to use as much common sense as I can muster, in the end, there is only so much you can do to protect yourself as seller or buyer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..."excellent condition"...

I use this phrase all too often. What a murky phrase, eh?

Last week, I found an Arcam tuner on ebay and asked the seller to describe the imperfections of the item. The auction described it as being in "excellent" condition. I had also asked him to match the price that I found of the same item (but in silver) on Audiogon, and I provided the link.

I received a reply with a counter offer (a close match to the 'gon ad), and a comment that said if I wanted an item in perfect condition, then I should buy new. I didn't appreciate the tone so I didn't reply. I know the item isn't perfect and that's why I asked for a description of the imperfections (which the seller did not provide in the reply) so I'd know beforehand what I was buying. I guess my question could have cast me as a finicky nit-picker kind of buyer. In any case, the item didn't sell. Maybe the seller will re-list with a better description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back