Dared MP-5 Headphone & Integrated Amp with USB DAC
Jul 25, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #256 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
From what I've seen a couple of companies are rebranding this... One of them doing a bum-ugly etching on the front. At least two variants include the formerly elusive matching ipod dock. It looks as though Dared intended to OEM this product from the start.

The biggest shame I see is that it means Dared probably won't be working too hard on a successor.

Yeah I saw that "bum-ugly" etching, it looked just plain "ugly" to me. I was too hoping that there would be new version released. If I hear anything I will report back.

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 26, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #257 of 410
Elephas: hello, i'm thinking of replacing the headfive in my sig with this amp. However, first I would like to know if it can do well with the HD650 (which tubes) and what would i need to do to make it work with an HF1.

Also, without a preamp, would it still sound good, straight out of the dac?

Thankyou

Jul 26, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #258 of 410
Hi granodemostasa.

I used to own a Corda HA-1 MkII. If the Headfive is as good or better, I don't think the Dared MP-5 would be a better match with the HD650 or HF-1.

I like the way the HD650 sounds with the Corda amps, the Lehmann Black Cube Linear and RSA Raptor. With the tubes I've tried so far, the MP-5 sounds best to me paired with the K701. It gives the K701 a smooth-sounding bassy sound that can be good for some music. To me, the HD650 is already quite smooth and bassy, and benefits less.

The HF-1 does OK with MP-5. Bass impact, soundstage and air are OK, but details are lacking. I don't recall trying the HF-1 with a Corda amp.

I don't use the MP-5's USB DAC.

Jul 26, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #259 of 410
My understanding from research is that the the Dared is pretty good as an amp for speakers but not quite as good out of the box for headphone amplification without swapping the tubes... I've heard mostly great things about the sound when connecting the right speakers to them, but mixed reviews with headphones. That said, the tubes you get with it appear to vary depending on whether you're in America or not, and the one I tried was in Australia, so YMMV.

Jul 29, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #260 of 410
So I've read this whole thread and I'm about to get the american version. How do I know which tubes I can put in here? Can anyone recommend upgraded tubes i could get in the future for this? The whole tube naming convention is so confusing (yes I read the Tube FAQ).

Jul 29, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #261 of 410
So in this thread, you'll see many recommendations for tube upgrades.
I for one, recommended Electro Harmonix Gold pin 5751 as an outstanding replacement for the stock 12ax7s that come with the American unit.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #262 of 410
oh, anyone try the 220 volt versions? Thats What I'm going to need since I live in the Philippines. Which tubes sound best with this model and where can I get it?

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #263 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
oh, anyone try the 220 volt versions? Thats What I'm going to need since I live in the Philippines. Which tubes sound best with this model and where can I get it?

you can find all you want in this thread
wink.gif

refer to drarthurwells's post. you can get some equivalents from him also.

Aug 1, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #264 of 410
Quote:

Since the MP5's power requirements are modest, you might want to consider getting the US version, which is reputed to be slightly better quality, and use a 220v to 110v step down transformer to down-convert the voltage. The transformers are relatively inexpensive.
Click here for link to step down transformers
Click here for Step down and voltage Stabilizers

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #266 of 410
Quote:

Any other things worthy of upgrading with this amp? Can the DAC be tweaked for example?

Perhaps, but that's a later project for me. I plan to work on lowering the noise floor with sensitive cans first.

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #267 of 410
I don't know if the DAC can be tweaked or not. Lan can speak better to upgrades than I can. That little DAC chip looked mighty tiny though.

My MP-5 is midway in the mods. We'll see what better parts can do for it. What I'm really wondering is how good the solid state power amplification is in this thing. I'm worried that (well, after the DAC) is the weakest link.

Best,

-Jason

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #268 of 410
I got my Dared MP5 today and I'm listening to it with stock tubes (US Version) and using an iPod with Ken's silver teflon interconnects. Add me to Team Dared MP5!

All I can say is this thing is amazing even from the stock tubes. I'm listening with the K701s and this thing really helps bring more bass to my K701. Everything sounds a little more natural compared to the Headroom Desktop Amp. The HR Desktop Amp sounds great and really clear but it almost sounds too perfect? This isn't a bad thing but I'm listening to katie melua and there are lots of horns in this one song and it sounds more live rather than something being recorded in a studio.

I've only been listening for about 1 hour and I'm going to switch with better tubes (Sovtek 12AX7LPS) and I'll see if that helps make it even better.

So far I'm very impressed with this amp for this price. I could probably be just as happy with this amp if I had compared the Desktop Amp and this at a store. It also looks beautiful and that magic eye is pretty damn awesome. Ken's interconnect is also amazing! I haven't tried the DAC yet although I'm afraid I won't be happy with it since I'm hearing negative things about it in this thread.

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #269 of 410
If anyone has a Dared MP5 in the 220-240V version which they may want to sell please let me know, I am trying to find one
lambda.gif
. There are no distributors/agents here in South Africa, and I have tried contacting Dared via email for the past month with no response
frown.gif

Cheers,
X

Aug 4, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #270 of 410
Try Chevron Communications @ 083601003, they are supposed to the local distributors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back