Dared MP-5 Headphone & Integrated Amp with USB DAC
Jul 17, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #241 of 410
Hi! I just bought the MP5. I need some help regarding noises/buzz

I noticed 2 kinds of noises: first one being the tube noise (I suppose) where I have more buzz when I turn up the volume, that's fine with me.

The second one is causing me trouble: it's from the USB connection, I'm using the stock cable and if I jiggle around the USB port at the amp. I'll hear these buzz, now I'm lifting the cable a bit higher to min. those buzz, I'm not sure if it's the cable, my USB connection or whatever reason, does anyone hear experience similar things??

I appreciate any help.

Kenneth

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #242 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenship
Hi! I just bought the MP5. I need some help regarding noises/buzz

I noticed 2 kinds of noises: first one being the tube noise (I suppose) where I have more buzz when I turn up the volume, that's fine with me.

The second one is causing me trouble: it's from the USB connection, I'm using the stock cable and if I jiggle around the USB port at the amp. I'll hear these buzz, now I'm lifting the cable a bit higher to min. those buzz, I'm not sure if it's the cable, my USB connection or whatever reason, does anyone hear experience similar things??

I appreciate any help.

Kenneth

Ken, it is difficult to troubleshoot anything from someone else's descriptions, but for what it's worth, I'll offer my opinion.

The first problem you mention, buzz/hum that increases with your set volume level. This tells me that the noise is coming from your source input, not from the amp itself. It's not normal, not acceptable, and you shouldn't have to put up with it. You could have a bad interconnect cable to your source, or your source itself could have the hum. Your source might have a different ground source than your Dared, thereby setting up a ground loop. Those are a few things that could be the source of that problem. What do you hear if you unplug the input cables from the amp? Do you still hear the same buzz/hum? Is it there, but different? Does it still change with your volume setting?

The second problem... The USB cable could be bad. Have you tried another cable? Have you tried any contact cleaner/enhancers?

Have you contacted your vendor?

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #243 of 410
Hi, all dared mp5 user

if I buy dared mp5 for my Grado RS-1
which tube is best for RS-1 ?
which is favorite tube to use in dared mp5 ?

I don't have knowledge about tube amp
please advice me

Thanks
eggosmile.gif

Jul 17, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #244 of 410
munkong,
if you get an asian version-quite probably, right?-,
use 6N1 and its equivalents-refer to drarthurwells' post-.
do not use 12ax7 and its equivalents mentioned here.
they're for american version.

6N7 - USA
ECC40 - Europe
6N1 - Chinese
6N1P - Russian
6N1P-EV - Russian military

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #245 of 410
The tube pairs I've experienced channel imbalance may not be matched. The imbalance is very lopsided.

Channel imbalance also experienced with: JJ ECC803S

No channel imbalance and great sound with: matched Mullard CV4003/12AU7WA

The Dared MP-5 units sold in Taiwan, where I bought mine, come with 6N1 tube pairs but the ECC85 is also recommended and listed in sales literature as standard configuration.

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #246 of 410
dared's dealer in thailand not import at this time yet
but it's coming soon

I don't know what's tube stock come with asian version
I not understand what the different between
american version & asian version

it's different in voltage?
and different in tube ?
why

can you tell me
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #247 of 410
Dared's literature indicates the US model is different from units sold in other regions. I'm not sure what exactly the differences are.

Taiwan is 110V and US-spec audio gear is sold and used here, as well as some Japanese-market models.

I believe Thailand is 220V and might be the same as the China/HK market model. You should probably talk to your local Dared dealer regarding the differences.

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #249 of 410
My MP-5 unit came with the 6N1 tubes and is probably not the US-version.

I use it with Mullard ECC82 and CV4003 pairs with excellent results. I've tried Siemens and Philips-labelled EM87 Magic Eye tubes, although the sound changed very little.

I don't use the stock tubes.

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #250 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
My MP-5 unit came with the 6N1 tubes and is probably not the US-version.

I use it with Mullard ECC82 and CV4003 pairs with excellent results. I've tried Siemens and Philips-labelled EM87 Magic Eye tubes, although the sound changed very little.

I don't use the stock tubes.

excellent results that mean no hum ?
how does of your ECC82-CV4003 sound
can you describe a short?

in your opinion, this amp is synergy with RS-1 or not ?
it's cheap, but I'm not sure about performance

I sure, dared mp5 in Thailand is the same version as your country (Taiwan)

Thanks
orphsmile.gif

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #251 of 410
I inquired a dared staff about tube rolling and got this reply.

"Yes, we have two version MP5, one is normal version, the other is US version.
You can't use 12ax7 replace of 6N1 in the normal version, please note."

I think we can use 12ax7 with an asian version but it may have bad effect on the amp in the long run. but I'm not sure of anything...

btw, it goes very well with RS-1. I can hear very little amount of hum with stock tubes.

Jul 17, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #252 of 410
The Grado RS-1 exhibits a very slight hiss with the Mullard ECC82s and CV4003. It is noticeable with no music playing and volume at zero. The hiss with these tubes don't increase much as the volume is turned up (no music) compared to other tubes I've tried.

Using the RS-1, the ECC82 and CV4003 pairs both have a fun and bassy sound. They don't make the MP-5 sound as refined or detailed as the RSA Raptor, but it is an enjoyable sound that is good with fast-paced pop music. Bass is very strong and thumpy. Overall sound tends towards warm lushness. There is less of the treble harshness or brightness that can sometimes be annoying.

Note that my RS-1 has been recabled and might differ from a stock unit. I usually use the RS-1 with the Raptor, and use the MP-5 mostly with the K701, SA5000 and HD650.

When connected to the CEC DA53 source, which has fixed volume output, the MP-5's gain is very high, even with the relatively lower-gain ECC82. In this case, I use the Lehmann Black Cube Linear as preamp between the DAC and the MP-5.

Jul 19, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #253 of 410
Well, either it is this or the Music Hall MMF-2.1. I haven't really even used it much my headphones. I decided to try it with a pair of NHT Super Ones I have lying around here and I am amazed! I brought my Super Ones over because I can't physically fit my main speakers in my current apartment to use with my regular amp, but it turned out that it needs a repair. So I decided to hook up this little 13w amp to this pair of 86dB/w power hungry speakers expecting pretty crappy performance.

I remember the difference through these speakers when I went from my 35w NAD 304 to my 175w Plinius - these are very hungry speakers.

So with small expectations I played music through this setup and now I cannot believe what I am hearing! Sure there are weaknesses like the ability to convey the "power" of some pieces and compressed dynamics. However the soundstaging is simply amazing and I don't know how to describe it but my music sounds so real and so natural. I almost don't miss my Von Schweikerts right now. I couldn't be happier with what I have now, and it looks like I won't be listening to headphones for a while.

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #254 of 410
I got an email from the US distributor of the MP5's (Who I buy them from in blocks of 10 for resale on my website) and he told me that a Japanese company has bought the rights to the MP5 from Dared and thus they will no longer be for sale as of the end of Aug. Bummer. Anyone hear anything similar to this?

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 25, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #255 of 410
From what I've seen a couple of companies are rebranding this... One of them doing a bum-ugly etching on the front. At least two variants include the formerly elusive matching ipod dock. It looks as though Dared intended to OEM this product from the start.

The biggest shame I see is that it means Dared probably won't be working too hard on a successor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back