Dapper for Mac updates: App to sync iTunes with your DAP
Sep 26, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #31 of 332

so that dapper warns about the drive being not in plan ms-dos format may be due to syncmate and/or fuse for macos? is it possible for you to test it this is the case for you, too? do you have a astell&kern device to check if your dapper also warns about its mounted drives not being in plain ms-dos format? and do you have the same playlist error like me?

it would be great if you could check that. any help is really appreciated! thank you in advance.

We specifically ignore this error for "FuzeOS" but for some reason hats not how it showing up anymore.
You can help by running dapper, and holding down the option key.
At some point int he log you will see:

"File system for card is xxxx"

Let me know what that says....

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #32 of 332

We specifically ignore this error for "FuzeOS" but for some reason hats not how it showing up anymore.

thank you for your reply. i'll try that as soon as i get back from work. then i'll report back.

edit: any news about that playlist error?

it seems that the syncmate / fuse osx combination runs not that smooth regarding special characters of files.

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #33 of 332

thank you for your reply. i'll try that as soon as i get back from work. then i'll report back.

edit: any news about that playlist error?

it seems that the syncmate / fuse osx combination runs not that smooth regarding special characters of files.

On the Utilities tab of Dapper - you can choose to strip out special characters - just select "Strip Most Special Characters" and will convert on the fly.

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #34 of 332

On the Utilities tab of Dapper - you can choose to strip out special characters - just select "Strip Most Special Characters" and will convert on the fly.

this does help in some but not in all cases. i have a song which starts with three dots: "...". it cannot be synced. the setting you mentioned changes one of the dots to an underscore: "_..". but that seems to be not enough. dapper fails to sync it. i cannot determine if this is due to dapper (since none of the special character settings seems to help) or if it is due to syncmate / fuse osx.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #35 of 332

here you go:
2016-09-26 16:04:02 +0000:Mmainq File system for card is osxfuse

so that's why it says
Warning This disk does not seem to be in plain MS-DOS format, which may be an issue for some Digital Audio Players to recognize.
Please make sure you have correctly formatted your drives using your DAP, not your Mac for best results.
If your DAP is working great, you can ignore this message...

?

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #37 of 332
Hi,

Just tried Dapper with my new FiiO X3II, it works perfectly :)
Nevertheless I have a request : 
because I mainly have classical music, it will be usefull to have an new option to export to [composer]/[album] sub-folders (if composer tag exists, if not under album artist…) ! This way the browsing experience will be easier on FiiO X3 (because the Composer entry does not exist in this GUI)
(NB : I am currently under older iTunes (< 12.5) with no new work/movement tags…)

Thanks

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #39 of 332
Thx :)

Additionally, an alternative : to limit the folder structure to only 1 level : [album]/[name], according to the fact all my tracks begin with composer name... This could be an additional option (but  exclusive) to the option to have a structure like [composer]/[album] 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #40 of 332
One more question : what is the minimum version for iTunes ? Actually all my music library is under a dedicated MacMini under MacOS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and iTunes 10.7...
When I start Dapper, it said it couldn't find the iTunes library (.xml). Please not that this version of iTunes do not offer the advanced setting to "share the xml library"...

Thanks

Edit : sorry, wrong configuration on my side, it works fine :)

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #41 of 332
Version 2.52 is submitted to Apple. It allows you to save the music using whatever sort option you chose.

So, by default Dapper uses the "Artist" tag for a particular song. It creates a hierarchy based on this, so if you have Dapper set to use a "Music" directory, as an example, you get:

DAP----Music---Jackson 5---Guardians of the Galaxy----I want you back.
DAP----Music---Norman Greenbaum---Guardians of the Galaxy----Spirit in the sky.
DAP----Music---The Five Stairsteps----Guradians of the Galaxy---O-O-H Child
With this option, the issue was that for a particular album, you may have multiple artists and the result is... messy.

DAP----Music---Various Artists---Guardians of the Galaxy----I want you back.
DAP----Music---Various Artists---Guardians of the Galaxy----Spirit in the sky.
DAP----Music---Various Artists----Guradians of the Galaxy---O-O-H Child

Now instead of the music being saved by artist, you can choose to have it saved the way you are sorting - and in a lot of cases this may be Album Artist.

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #42 of 332
OK thanks a lot Jeremy for quick reaction 
wink_face.gif

Nevertheless I don't understand the role of this option : whatever this option is (Artist, Album Artist...), the hierarchy (on v2.51) is the same :
Album Artist---Album---Name (track)

The "sort" impacts how the hierarchy is built or just sort the order to export files in a "predefined" hierarchy ?

But I have seen no difference when I changed it ??

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #43 of 332
Note that this hasn't gone live in the app store yet... so... Its not enabled yet - and you don't have the checkbox I show in the graphic above. :wink:

The way Dapper works with this option off, is that it uses whatever the folder structure of iTunes is. Checking this checkbox overrides the "Artist" folder to be that of whatever the sort option is.

So you can override it to be "Album Artist" or "Artist"

I have a user where they have an album by Andre Previn... but the Album Artist is Previn, Andre. 

By default this is saved on his first card - A-H and he was expecting to see it not he second under the folder Previn, Andre

Either way, you can use a choice of Album Artist/Artist to make it show up however you want.

Oct 16, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #44 of 332
OK, I known you show me the new version 2.52, but I don't understand if the possibility to create new hierarchy will be offered only with 2.52 (and above) ?
So in this case, what is the role of "Distribute songs on DAP storage based on sorting by " in 2.51 ? Again, if I changed this option (in 2.51), the structure is always the same (Artist Album---Album---Song) ? Same thing about compilations : whatever the change, the structure is the same (Compilations---Album---Songs) ?? It is like if the change of the configuration was ignored ???

I understood that the only change between 2.51 and 2.52 is the "Composer" option to generate a different structure but not sure now about that ??

(NB : I use a FiiO X3 2d)

Thanks for your help !

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #45 of 332
Hi,

OK, I think I have understood the "Distribute songs on DAP storage based on sorting by " option --> it is a rule to dispatch the music between 2 SD Card (or internal/external storage of the DAP) !! Nothing regarding the hierarchy !! In my case (FiiO X3), only 1 SD card, so this option is not useful for me...

So waiting for 2.52 
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back