DAP for HD650
Jul 8, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #16 of 25
lol...because DAP or portable amp cannot do 650/6xx right
Will I’ll agree a Bottlehead Crack is what I would pick to listen to them with a Chord Mojo isn’t half bad but just a tad warm but plenty of power. Balanced silver plated cables from my HiBy R3 isn’t bad at all either just about maxes the volume.

Jul 9, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #19 of 25
You won't get great sound on road anyway, so why bother a DAP. I'm never a DAP fan...lol

the lyrics say "you're the keeper of the mystery in your hands", that clearly refers to a DAP and the music in it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #20 of 25
There are daps that will drive these headphones. You will need to go balanced though. Balanced cables for Senns don't have to be expensive, but the dap will be. The QLS-QA361 will drive them to ear bleed levels if you like. I'm pretty sure daps such as the Fiio M11 and Hiby R6 Pro will drive them nicely as well. Ibasso dap with amp module, my Opus#1s will drive them to decent listening levels as well. Not as much so as the others. Most people use daps on the go, but it's a neat tool to use whenever you like. I use mine while at home often. Cleaning the house, building my custom fishing rods, or just dinking around. I could use my phone with an amp, but it's too much bulk and weight to pack around.

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #21 of 25
There are daps that will drive these headphones. You will need to go balanced though. Balanced cables for Senns don't have to be expensive, but the dap will be. The QLS-QA361 will drive them to ear bleed levels if you like. I'm pretty sure daps such as the Fiio M11 and Hiby R6 Pro will drive them nicely as well. Ibasso dap with amp module, my Opus#1s will drive them to decent listening levels as well. Not as much so as the others. Most people use daps on the go, but it's a neat tool to use whenever you like. I use mine while at home often. Cleaning the house, building my custom fishing rods, or just dinking around. I could use my phone with an amp, but it's too much bulk and weight to pack around.

This is the very answer I was looking for - thank you so much! I agree that a DAP is a neat tool for all kinds of circumstances... however I also understand those who deem it “unnecessary”. I miss the days of my iPod, and I liken to the idea of having a dedicated portable music source vs always having to use my phone that I use “too much” of as is.

Is Amazon an okay source for seeking out decently priced balanced cables for Senn’s or are audio equipment sites my best bet?

Thanks again!!

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #22 of 25
Ebay and Amazon bud. Just search balanced cable, Sennheiser HD 650. If you're willing to order from overseas and wait a bit on shipping, there are some really nice cables up for grabs.

Jul 11, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #23 of 25
I drive them nicely out of my Cayin n6ii

Jul 11, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #24 of 25
What features do you want from a dap? If you want wired only listening with hi res files, the new Cowon Plenue D2 will drive your cans nicely. It's a bare bones, no frills dap. Can be a little buggy and laggy, but it will do the trick. You can read the dedicated thread in the portable source gear section. People say it sounds amazing, plus it's less than 300 bucks. If you want wifi, Bluetooth, streaming, etc., the Fiio M11 may be the best option, but it costs 500 bucks. The Cayin n6ii looks like a badarse dap as well, but it's a bit rich for my blood unfortunately.

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #25 of 25
What features do you want from a dap? If you want wired only listening with hi res files, the new Cowon Plenue D2 will drive your cans nicely. It's a bare bones, no frills dap. Can be a little buggy and laggy, but it will do the trick. You can read the dedicated thread in the portable source gear section. People say it sounds amazing, plus it's less than 300 bucks. If you want wifi, Bluetooth, streaming, etc., the Fiio M11 may be the best option, but it costs 500 bucks. The Cayin n6ii looks like a badarse dap as well, but it's a bit rich for my blood unfortunately.

Thank you very much for your input!

I’m definitely too poor for the Cayin n6ii unfortunately, but it’s going on my wishlist. I’m a bit amazed at the damn wide spectrum of DAP prices out there, but I guess that’s all audio. As far as features, I’d like to be able to stream (my main sources are Spotify and Qobuz) but working with downloaded files is just fine. I like to keep it wired so definitely don’t need Bluetooth. It seems like there’s a few options in the Cowon line that may fit the bill for me — thank you!! I’ll also check out the portable source gear thread :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back