Dangerous Music Source DAC
Aug 13, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #107 of 309
Can this be used as a Dac only for say a Bryston bha-1? The DM would be used as a preamp eight?

Yes. The Source can be used either as a DAC only with a typical balanced line out OR as a balanced pre-amp.

There is 1 balanced line out and 2 balanced pre-amps (to control the signal going for active speakers, subwoofers or power amps down the line).

I'd take the line out from DM to BHA-1 and just control the volume from there.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #108 of 309
Thanks for the quick reply, couldn't find many people talking about doing it I guess cuz the amp section is apparantly so good! Probably should look at a cheaper "indistinguishable" for Dac only.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #109 of 309
Thanks for the quick reply, couldn't find many people talking about doing it I guess cuz the amp section is apparantly so good! Probably should look at a cheaper "indistinguishable" for Dac only.

For a cheaper DAC only use, I recommend the Emotiva Stealth DC-1. I have both of them and they pretty much sound the same. Gary MD found both as DACs only to sound the same along with M51 and other high end DACs.

I personally think the DC-1 might have a hair touch bit bass punch over the Source, but the subtle resolving and more musical nature of the Source makes it a winner for me. I have been listening to both these DACs for months now everyday, so only now I'm somewhat able to pick up on the little differences. Otherwise, for DAC only, I can fully recommend the DC-1. If you want a killer headphone amp, go for the Source.

Keep in mind, the headphone output is still made for studio use, so the response is flat. It took me a few hours to get used to it, but once I did, everything else either sounded bassy or just basslight. The Source has quite a bunch of punch and the bass goes all the way down. There isn't a roll off whatsoever in the bass region.

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #111 of 309
What cables/adapters do people use to connect the Source (quarter inch) to an amp (XLR)?

For your GS-X needs, you will need 2 of this cable, for each channel: 1/4" TRS to XLR. It's fully balanced. Since you're in Northern California, you can get custom length ones from: http://www.proaudiola.com - I order from them all the time for analog and digital cables. Great craftsmanship and excellent pricing.

Get Mogami 2549. It's some of the best stuff out there for interconnects. Specifically this cable with your configurations for GS-X: http://www.proaudiola.com/product-p/1-m2549-trs-xlrm-1.htm

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #114 of 309
What cables/adapters do people use to connect the Source (quarter inch) to an amp (XLR)?

Yeah, as Zoom mentioned, I'd email Pro Audio LA and let them know what you're trying to do. They can recommend some configurations that best suit your needs. They helped me and were straight shooters even when I tried get them to upsell me nicer cables that would have been overkill.

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #119 of 309
  Sorry, poor phrasing.  The comparison I linked compared the DAC section only (Gungnir vs Source).  The amplifier of the Source was not compared against the Mjolnir which is what KriLi was asking about.

Ok, gotcha.  The DS amp is very good, but the quality doesn't match the Mjolnir. The DS amp is more neutral than the somewhat forward Mjolnir sound--which I like, but the soundstage is smaller. I find that a lot of mid-priced amps have a limited soundstage and can lack resolution and dynamics to some degree. The DS amp generally holds it's own with respect to resolution and dynamics, but falls short in terms of soundstage when compared to top-tier amps.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #120 of 309
I just got a chance to compare DS to DAC2 HGC with Beyerdynamic 880 600 Ohm - and DAC2 is about 3 db louder.
Though both have more than enough juice to run loud more than enough.

Another observation with DMS - I touched its case with some static electricity on my body from carpet floors and then all all buttons lighten up. This is not cool..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back