Dangerous Music Source DAC
Apr 14, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #243 of 309
  Anybody know which type of FIR  filter is used in the dangerous source?
Minimum phase, linear, etc.??

any clue?

Cheers!

Try emailing them. They have always gotten back to me with technical questions. Let us know the response if you find out.

May 19, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #245 of 309
  Well, I re-bought the Convert-2.

As much as I love the Yggrasil, I missed that slight warmth of the C2's sound. I wish I could keep both, but can't justify that.

My Yggy is up for sale and my DM Source will be going up soon, too.

-Mike

So how's that C2 treatin ya? As good as you remember haha. Oh and did that driver problem sort itself out or still havin issues ?

May 19, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #246 of 309
So how's that C2 treatin ya? As good as you remember haha. Oh and did that driver problem sort itself out or still havin issues ?

If anything, it's even better than I had remembered. No regrets at all about re-buying the C2 and selling my Yggy.

I've still had the driver problem when using the built in USB, and Dangerous has been great about trying to help figure it out. They haven't seen this before. I did pick up an external DDC, which eliminated the problem, but have since gone a step further and have eliminated USB entirely. I'm using the AES input now but my connection to the PC is Gigabit Ethernet to a Focusrite Rednet Dante->AES interface. To my ears it sounds noticeably better than either the built-in USB or the external DDC.

How's the Source?

-Mike

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #247 of 309
Hello everyone! I ordered the source to hook up four monitors to it. I guess I would be plugging my ifi micro into the analog input and not the digital if I want to hear the ifi micro that is. I am new to all of this and learning so much on this site. Just want to hook it up the correct way. Any answers many thanks in advance!

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #248 of 309
I'm guessing by iFi micro you're referring to the one you reviewed on this site: the  micro-iDSD.

If so just connect the micro to the Analog Input 2 of the Source (1/8" mini TRS connector).

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #249 of 309
post deleted - superfluous

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #251 of 309
Analog pass through is via the line out. Analog inputs are AN1 (XLR) and 3.5mm.

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #252 of 309
BTW anyone else try the Convert-2 yet? Especially want to hear from guys with upgraded LPS on the Source.

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #253 of 309
  BTW anyone else try the Convert-2 yet? Especially want to hear from guys with upgraded LPS on the Source.

Had mine for 5 weeks but unfortunately have not tried the Source. My only comparison is with the asynchronous USB input of the DAC in the Oppo 105D which it puts to shame. Going straight into a pair of Geithain RL 906 active studio monitors it's like the musicians on my recordings are in the room with me. The separation between instruments/voices is breathtaking and the individual characteristics  of  each "voice" is beautifully rendered as an organic whole.

Unfortunately there are no headphone outs and only one pair of analog outs so not ideal if you want to listen through cans or run a subwoofer.  I imagine it would pair well with the Source but wonder if there might be a slight degradation of sound with analog pass through. Would be extremely interested if anyone could comment - no doubt some recording engineers use this combo so I might ask this  on Gearslutz.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #254 of 309
  Had mine for 5 weeks but unfortunately have not tried the Source. My only comparison is with the asynchronous USB input of the DAC in the Oppo 105D which it puts to shame. Going straight into a pair of Geithain RL 906 active studio monitors it's like the musicians on my recordings are in the room with me. The separation between instruments/voices is breathtaking and the individual characteristics  of  each "voice" is beautifully rendered as an organic whole.

Unfortunately there are no headphone outs and only one pair of analog outs so not ideal if you want to listen through cans or run a subwoofer.  I imagine it would pair well with the Source but wonder if there might be a slight degradation of sound with analog pass through. Would be extremely interested if anyone could comment - no doubt some recording engineers use this combo so I might ask this  on Gearslutz.

Thanks for the feedback. No surprise the Convert beats the Oppo. I also asked Dangerous and they told me the pot on the Convert-2 is slightly better than the pot on Source. I have no idea if it will be audible and to what extent. The pots on the Source are far better than the volume attenuation I get on the Emotiva DC-1. There is no change in sound character regardless of output.

I checked Gearslutz and unfortunately no direct comparisons regarding using both in conjunction or Convert-2 vs. Source (w/ LPS).

Glad you're enjoying the Convert with the Geithlans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back