Dangerous Music Source DAC
Feb 16, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #227 of 309
I ended up changing my digital (Mogami 2964) and analog cables (Mogami 2549) to Mogami 3173, which is a digital cable. The 2964 was a coaxial to XLR cable. The 3173 is a XLR-XLR cable, so I actually use the AES output on the BDP-1. Mogami 2549 was recommended as the best analog cable originally by a lot of people. Then I started noticing a lot of top studios being rewired with digital cables for analog, specifically Mogami 3173. Its their most expensive and lower gauge, and works for up to 1000 feet for digital. I replaced my 2549 with 3173 for analog, and holy ship everything improved. The top end just became real. It became much better on both my Dangerous Source and Emotiva DC-1 systems. The Mogami engineer also admitted that their 3173 is the best cable they offer for digital and analog runs. It has twice the copper of 2549.

I highly, highly recommend anyone to try Mogami 3173. No snake oil here. They post all their measurements on their website. At first it was a bit weird going to the 3173, almost like when I went to the Teradak LPS over the wall wart. Although, after getting used to it, when I went back to either the wall wart power supply or 2549, things sounded a bit more fuller but lost all their resolution, transients, and sounded unnatural. Like someone was talking through a pillow. Cannot recommend the 3173 enough! It costs more, but worth it.

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #229 of 309
Feb 25, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #230 of 309
did some further comparisons and the feedback is : the best sound quality that can be achieved with the DM source is when it's fed through the aes/spdif input!
In fact, when using this input the sound is comparable to the rDAC fed through optical spdif input. I couldn't detect any differences between both.

but but but... I very recently acquired a 20 year old DAC... that eats both the above DACs in terms of depth, instrument separation, etc. Now only I understand what holographic sound means!
This reminds me of a quote: "You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough" so true!

the DM source remains a great piece of gear with all the features it has. So now am using it as a preamp only. I don't have any points of comparison to be able to properly assess its preamp quality but for the time being it stays!

Any of you guys were able to compare the DM Source as a preamp only with other preamps?

cheers,

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #231 of 309
A few weeks ago I bought a Keces DC-116 linear power supply with dual 12v/3A outlets, based on this shootout:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/65016-great-big-power-supply-shootout-teddy-pardo-diy-wallwart/

And I must say, it's stunning. The difference isn't subtle - cleaner/extended sound, tighter bass, better all around. The build quality is superb, and it stacks nicely too!

I had my own shootout with the built-in Source amp and a $2300 Violectric amp (both using the Source DAC), and the LPS driven Source totally held it's own. That's saying something!

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #232 of 309
Welcome to the LPS party! Everyone with a Dangerous Source should join!

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #234 of 309
Got the Amphion One15 with Amphion 100 amp and it works flawlessly with the Dangerous Source as a controller!

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #237 of 309
Burr brown. It's listed on their website. Check faq section.

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #238 of 309
Burr Brown PCM1789PW

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #240 of 309
Well, I re-bought the Convert-2.

As much as I love the Yggrasil, I missed that slight warmth of the C2's sound. I wish I could keep both, but can't justify that.

My Yggy is up for sale and my DM Source will be going up soon, too.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back