Danacable Lazuli Reference Thread
Jan 26, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #211 of 289
I
*sings* and I'm a believer ...

My vanilla Lazuli for the HD800S arrived today. It is a significant, noticeable upgrade from the stock cable. As far as cost goes, on sale it wasn't actually that much. The connectors are much better quality and slot in and out smoothly. No, seriously. Why couldn't Sennheiser get at least that right. Pairs magnificently with the Naim Uniti HE which opens up the bass and imparts a richness + warmth that the HD800S are not necessarily known for. As this is a second hand cable, I assume it's been burnt in (if you believe in cable burn in).

The Lazuli Reference Plus for the Utopia is just having an initial listen. Impressions are I like it. The build quality and feel of the cable is sturdy and fabulous craftsmanship. These won't go back. They are very thick cables. It's a tad bright with the treble extension and mid presentation which seems more forward than I recall with the stock cable.

Blind testing (eyes closed, asking partner to put the headphone on my head) ... on the cards when I get around to it.
I picked up the Standard Lazuli for my hd800 at a great price used. Was pleasantly surprised that this cable could make that much of a difference. In fact the improvement was enough to get me looking for the Lazuli for my LCD4’s. Found a wonderful deal on a Lazuli Ref and i have to admit it did add some weight to a already heavy headphone, but after listening to them for some time, they are also a pleasant surprise and sound improvement over the stock LCD4 cable. Great cables with quality build and finish. If you are in the market for some new cables i would highly recommend.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #212 of 289
I

I picked up the Standard Lazuli for my hd800 at a great price used. Was pleasantly surprised that this cable could make that much of a difference. In fact the improvement was enough to get me looking for the Lazuli for my LCD4’s. Found a wonderful deal on a Lazuli Ref and i have to admit it did add some weight to a already heavy headphone, but after listening to them for some time, they are also a pleasant surprise and sound improvement over the stock LCD4 cable. Great cables with quality build and finish. If you are in the market for some new cables i would highly recommend.
Can you comment on what sound improvement you got out of the Ref 4? I'm also looking for an upgrade cable to my LCD 4s that will specifically add some bass quantity. Did you experience that with yours? I found a good deal on the Ref on myself so just looking to see if it's worth it.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #213 of 289
Can you comment on what sound improvement you got out of the Ref 4? I'm also looking for an upgrade cable to my LCD 4s that will specifically add some bass quantity. Did you experience that with yours? I found a good deal on the Ref on myself so just looking to see if it's worth it.
Great question. To start my first experience with the Lazuli was with my HD 800. I went from the stock single ended cable the balanced Lazuli. It seemed to calm the HD down some, (less sibilant) they seemed fuller too. I have always liked the HD 800 but i use EQ with mine to pull down the highs some. I have been using my LCD4’s with the stock single ended cables. I liked them but found then a little less forgiving on certain music, Piano some high vocals. With the Lazuli ref i find it a little smoother and less fatiguing with more of my music. Did not change the overall rich texture sound on the LCD4, just deeper and smoother to my ears. But take it with a grain of salt because sometimes i cant put my finger on why i like it better, just something that (expectations?) i like better, but in this hobby that last little bit is so hard to quantify. Hope that helps some, does not seem to be quite the leap that others seem to hear with like say the focal Utopia and the Lazuli. :)

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #214 of 289
Just waiting for my newly acquired LR to arrive from the US. Will be using it with my Focal Utopia after a consideration process that took a year or two.

Exciting!

Feb 10, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #215 of 289
Has anyone compared the Lazuli Reference plus to the Ultra on the Focal Utopia ? I already have the Lazuli Reference but need to get a balanced XLR pair and I might as well consider the higher offerings. I really like the LR on my Utopia but comparing it to the Wywires Platinum, the bass could definitely be tighter on the LR, on the other hand I do prefer the overall presentation of the LR vs the WW Platinum hence me considering another pair of Danacables :)

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #216 of 289
Great question. To start my first experience with the Lazuli was with my HD 800. I went from the stock single ended cable the balanced Lazuli. It seemed to calm the HD down some, (less sibilant) they seemed fuller too. I have always liked the HD 800 but i use EQ with mine to pull down the highs some. I have been using my LCD4’s with the stock single ended cables. I liked them but found then a little less forgiving on certain music, Piano some high vocals. With the Lazuli ref i find it a little smoother and less fatiguing with more of my music. Did not change the overall rich texture sound on the LCD4, just deeper and smoother to my ears. But take it with a grain of salt because sometimes i cant put my finger on why i like it better, just something that (expectations?) i like better, but in this hobby that last little bit is so hard to quantify. Hope that helps some, does not seem to be quite the leap that others seem to hear with like say the focal Utopia and the Lazuli. :)
Copper especially multi strain copper like in the Reference seems to have that smoothing effect which can be a plus or a minus depending on the system. How did the Reference effect the bass if at all? Did it improve dynamics?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #217 of 289
Has anyone compared the Lazuli Reference plus to the Ultra on the Focal Utopia ? I already have the Lazuli Reference but need to get a balanced XLR pair and I might as well consider the higher offerings. I really like the LR on my Utopia but comparing it to the Wywires Platinum, the bass could definitely be tighter on the LR, on the other hand I do prefer the overall presentation of the LR vs the WW Platinum hence me considering another pair of Danacables :)
Have you considered just sending the cable back to get the plug swapped out? You can contact them about the cost. I got a furutech XLR plug, so that’s a little more than just going with the standard XLR. They changed it out and had it back out for shipping the same day they got it. Only without my cable for 5 days but sure missed it.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #218 of 289
Have you considered just sending the cable back to get the plug swapped out? You can contact them about the cost. I got a furutech XLR plug, so that’s a little more than just going with the standard XLR. They changed it out and had it back out for shipping the same day they got it. Only without my cable for 5 days but sure missed it.
Unfortunately shipping them back is impractical for me as I do not live in the US. I'm better off selling my LR locally and upgrading to a new model instead. Luckily Vinh has already contact me about a pair that I can possibly purchase. :)

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #219 of 289
Copper especially multi strain copper like in the Reference seems to have that smoothing effect which can be a plus or a minus depending on the system. How did the Reference effect the bass if at all? Did it improve dynamics?
The Lazuli Ref did not diminish the bass, if anything i made it more impactful. Dynamics are nice also. The only downside would be the added weight of the copper cables.

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #220 of 289
The Lazuli Ref did not diminish the bass, if anything i made it more impactful. Dynamics are nice also. The only downside would be the added weight of the copper cables.
I know they offer a return window but I’d love to trial one out to see if it’s worth it.

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #221 of 289
I know they offer a return window but I’d love to trial one out to see if it’s worth it.
For me, the Reference was worth it. It gives me the sound I’m looking for more than spending crazy money on Chord Dave/mscaler and still using stock cable. I’m completely happy listening out of Naim HE or Focal Arche and haven’t missed the Dave setup. But when I sent my cable off to change the plug out to XLR, I was completely missing the Reference.

For me, it’s the richness that makes it. I think the bass is improved because of the increased resolution. But this improves the whole spectrum. And this also opens up the sound and increases soundstage. When I first heard it I could tell immediately the vocals improved and the guitar had that real twangy, crunchy sound most headphones don’t get right.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #222 of 289
For me, the Reference was worth it. It gives me the sound I’m looking for more than spending crazy money on Chord Dave/mscaler and still using stock cable. I’m completely happy listening out of Naim HE or Focal Arche and haven’t missed the Dave setup. But when I sent my cable off to change the plug out to XLR, I was completely missing the Reference.

For me, it’s the richness that makes it. I think the bass is improved because of the increased resolution. But this improves the whole spectrum. And this also opens up the sound and increases soundstage. When I first heard it I could tell immediately the vocals improved and the guitar had that real twangy, crunchy sound most headphones don’t get right.

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #223 of 289
Danacable relocates from Colorado to New Mexico in March 2022. Lead time will be temporarily 4-6 weeks until May.
See announcement on website.

Lead Time: Since Danacables™ are handcrafted, our normal lead time is 3-4 weeks depending on our shop schedule and shipping time. Due to a planned factory relocation from Colorado to New Mexico, our lead time for the next two months will be as follows:

Order Placement DateLead Time
Order placed on or before March 11-2 weeks
Order placed March 1 through May 1, 20224-6 weeks

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #224 of 289
Good luck with the move!

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #225 of 289
This just arrived in the mail today, ended up getting the Lazuli Reference Plus with a couple of extra adapters. Always a pleasure (for me but not my wallet !) to buy stuff from Danacable (@vtvu).

Attachments

• F4A2859C-4BAE-4A11-ADF4-F66CEF3C3F7C.jpeg
    F4A2859C-4BAE-4A11-ADF4-F66CEF3C3F7C.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back