Danacable Lazuli Reference Thread
Jun 6, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #196 of 289
Revisiting this thread. Chord TT2 or Naim Atom He with utopia.

I‘m unable to audition so contemplating which cable eg. Reference vs plus will suit best for variety of music. Mostly classical, soundtracks and popular dance but I listen to most things.

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #197 of 289
The silver in the Reference Plus cable adds a nice brightness to high frequency range in music. The Plus sounds closer to Danacable higher cables. The Reference cable may better suit a brighter sounding headphones to begin with. They are both nice cables and each have their applications. I preferred the Plus with my Utopia in my setup.

Jun 6, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #198 of 289
Is there anything empirical as to why a headphone cable changes the sound? Expectation bias is proven to cause perceived changes although no change occurred. Is anyone willing to say they can’t hear a change and probably wasted 1K or will people stay hum so as not to risk their investment?

I’m not trying to troll, I would love to improve my sound but can’t for the life of me understand how a cable if properly constructed would change the sound UNLESS the impedance were different between cables.

Think about it logically… focal spends a lot of engineering resources and money to design a headphone, then someone comes along claiming a few short strands of copper make a vast improvement- why don’t headphone companies offer models with different cables instead of investing resources into designing and manufacturing new headphones? Twisting and soldering a cable is a lot easier and less expensive wouldn’t you think?

Jun 6, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #199 of 289
Is there anything empirical as to why a headphone cable changes the sound? Expectation bias is proven to cause perceived changes although no change occurred. Is anyone willing to say they can’t hear a change and probably wasted 1K or will people stay hum so as not to risk their investment?

I’m not trying to troll, I would love to improve my sound but can’t for the life of me understand how a cable if properly constructed would change the sound UNLESS the impedance were different between cables.

Think about it logically… focal spends a lot of engineering resources and money to design a headphone, then someone comes along claiming a few short strands of copper make a vast improvement- why don’t headphone companies offer models with different cables instead of investing resources into designing and manufacturing new headphones? Twisting and soldering a cable is a lot easier and less expensive wouldn’t you think?
Believe they offer 30 day evaluation, so if don’t hear a difference, you can return it. The Focal stock from original batch, sounds pretty good and think it’s probably the best they could do without going crazy and making the headphones cost more. The Danacables are about going beyond what the stock offers. For me, spending $1200 on the Reference Lazuli was a better investment than spending over $10k on a Chord Dave/mscaler combo. It gives the clarity and tone I’m looking for, so that can be completely happy with the New Naim Uniti Atom HE, that costs a fraction of the price.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #200 of 289
Believe they offer 30 day evaluation, so if don’t hear a difference, you can return it. The Focal stock from original batch, sounds pretty good and think it’s probably the best they could do without going crazy and making the headphones cost more. The Danacables are about going beyond what the stock offers. For me, spending $1200 on the Reference Lazuli was a better investment than spending over $10k on a Chord Dave/mscaler combo. It gives the clarity and tone I’m looking for, so that can be completely happy with the New Naim Uniti Atom HE, that costs a fraction of the price.
It’s not a cheap experiment for me because I would have to pay import duties/taxes and shipping both ways which would be 25% of the cost if it didn’t work out.

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #201 of 289
It’s not a cheap experiment for me because I would have to pay import duties/taxes and shipping both ways which would be 25% of the cost if it didn’t work out.

I think the point I was really making is no one is just forcing themselves to believe it makes a difference. To me it’s a bigger improvement then what adding the Chord Hugo mscaler did for the Chord Dave. You don’t have to try and hear the difference. I haven’t heard the new plus version but perfectly happy with Reference and have no desire to upgrade.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #203 of 289
yes. Usually timed with a special event eg. Valentines, Black Friday, end of year.

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #204 of 289
Just read through this thread since I’m on the fence about reference versus reference + for my Utopia. I already have the moon audio black dragon so I’m curious how these cables will differ. I think I’ll go with the “+” and see how they compare.

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #205 of 289
Just read through this thread since I’m on the fence about reference versus reference + for my Utopia. I already have the moon audio black dragon so I’m curious how these cables will differ. I think I’ll go with the “+” and see how they compare.
That is always the acid test and one of the things I enjoy about this hobby.

Jun 22, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #206 of 289
*sings* and I'm a believer ...

My vanilla Lazuli for the HD800S arrived today. It is a significant, noticeable upgrade from the stock cable. As far as cost goes, on sale it wasn't actually that much. The connectors are much better quality and slot in and out smoothly. No, seriously. Why couldn't Sennheiser get at least that right. Pairs magnificently with the Naim Uniti HE which opens up the bass and imparts a richness + warmth that the HD800S are not necessarily known for. As this is a second hand cable, I assume it's been burnt in (if you believe in cable burn in).

The Lazuli Reference Plus for the Utopia is just having an initial listen. Impressions are I like it. The build quality and feel of the cable is sturdy and fabulous craftsmanship. These won't go back. They are very thick cables. It's a tad bright with the treble extension and mid presentation which seems more forward than I recall with the stock cable.

Blind testing (eyes closed, asking partner to put the headphone on my head) ... on the cards when I get around to it.

Attachments

• 8C53C8A9-CB57-4A50-B90F-D557E78305DD.jpeg
    8C53C8A9-CB57-4A50-B90F-D557E78305DD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #207 of 289
Does anyone have a sound comparison between the Lazuli Ref FC's and Arctic Magnus cables?

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #208 of 289
I've been using Danacable HP cables for years with great satisfaction (and I have a number of their IC's as well). When I sold my Utopia I sent the Danacable Lazuli Reference along with it, to best appreciate the qualities of that HP as it went to a good friend of mine. I've got Danacable HP cables for all my phones and the Nirvana's for my 1266 and Susvara are exceptionally fine but weighty and pricey with some of the biggest (and custom made) connectors I've ever seen. I'm also using their special designed one for the SR1a. Danacables have been consistent in that they have a full-bodied richness, excellent bass, and highs that were never irritating with my other gear.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #209 of 289
I'm also using their special designed one for the SR1a.
Now that you’ve mentioned it, any impressions on this cable? And perhaps a comparison with Raal’s own silver cable offerings? Thanks!

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #210 of 289

Users who are viewing this thread

Back