Danacable Lazuli Reference Thread
Apr 9, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #106 of 289
I've been enjoying my Lanzuli Reference for several months now, so it's nicely burned in (both the cable and/or my brain) and I can now confidently chime-in with my experiences with it. Here's the context of my system. The source consists of a Mac Mini running Roon Core. It goes through a nothing-special switch to a dedicated Intel NUC7i3 that is running Euphony software (simply awesome!) to become a Roon Endpoint. The DAC/Headphone amplifier is a Hugo 2, connected with an Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable. The headphones are the newer Sennheiser HD800S. My musical leanings are such that I like full-range, yet highly-detailed presentation. As many of us have learned the hard (read expensive) way, it is so easy to mistake brightness for detail, which ultimately becomes fatiguing and no fun. You can tell when it's happening when you don't want to listen for extended session.

So any worthwhile review needs a frame of reference. So here's mine. Three years ago, I visited the Axponia show and got a chance to drop by the DanaCable booth and meet Dana. He was offering direct A-B comparisons of their their Lanzuli cable (the only one they had at that time a few years ago) to the stock cable of a couple high-end headphone brands, including the HifiMan and Sennheiser. The difference in SQ between the respective manufacture's cable and the Lanzuli cable was nothing short of a stunning revelation to me. The comparison made me think and say that they don't even sound like the same headphone... which they didn't. At the time, I was using a HifiMan HE500 with a Chord Mojo. Dana told me that they couldn't fit their cable into a 1/8" plug for the Mojo. I had a (probably ill-advised) mind-block about using an adapter. So time passes... and I upgrade to my current Sennheiser 800S headphones and a Chord Hugo 2. Major upgrades there. The stock Sennheiser cable is a reasonably-nice looking, yet crazy-long cable. The next year at Axponia, I listened to and liked the WyWires headphone cable. Talking to WyWires led to my purchase of a WyWires Platinum (not Red) headphone cable for the 800S. That was indeed a significant upgrade in sound quality over the stock cable, just as you might expect. Yet, in my mind, I never was able to forget those DanaCable A-B comparisons and how dramatic they were. So, that nagging feeling finally got the best of me and I reached out to DanaCable with a question. Vinh Vu at DanaCable nearly instantaneously responded with answers and a rather rapid-fire email dialog ensued. That dialog lead me to the decision to take a leap-of-faith and try-out not just the DanaCable, but the DanaCable Reference. I kind of thought I'd lost my mind, yet Vinh could not have been any nicer and more accommodating. I got the sense that I could trust him, his company and his advice... that goes for Dana too. A total pleasure to deal with them, just in case your wondering. They are flexible and will listen to ideas. So, that's the background leading up to my review and comparisons between the three headphone cables: The stock 800S cable, the WyWyres Platinum and the the Lanzuli Reference.

So as noted, the stock 800S cable simply does the headphones no justice at all. I really don't understand why Sennheiser sells them with that cable. If you have the 800S and that's all you have listened to, then you have no idea of how good your headphone really is, yet. The crazy-long length of the stock cable doesn't help either. The WyWires Platinum is a clear and worthwhile step-up. It's a better sounding cable, all the way around and is fairly reasonable... trust me, get rid of the stock 800S cable at all cost. So, with all of that said, the Lanzuli Reference simply blows them away. It's not even close. Going back to the WyWyers from the Lanzuli Reference presents you with a sense of loss. You loose that sense being at the musical event. You loose bass definition and strength. You loose soundstage, in that the music collapses closer into your head. The music with the Lanzuli Reference just draws you into it, there's a sense of completeness and coherence. There's a sense of balance from bass notes to high treble notes. I sit down and think I'm going to listen for a few minutes and that turns into a couple hours... frequently. It's the just-one-more-song thing. That's when you know it really good. So, if you've been thinking about headphone cables, I can totally endorse the Lanzuli Reference. The Lanzuli Reference is an investment that I would do again in a heartbeat. It's a thing of beauty, in terms of sound quality, physical build quality, appearance and simply end-game satisfaction and peace. And just for the record, I have no links to DanaCable... wish I did!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #107 of 289
For those who would like to hear the now-famous A/B demo of Danacable vs. stock cable, we will be at Booth 8316 in the EarGear Room at AXPONA this week. If you have been wondering about the buzz around the Lazuli Nirvana, here is your chance to hear it for yourself.
Then you can make up your own opinion instead of just reading about it. We will have the Nirvana on both the Hifiman and the Focal Utopia. Just a note of caution! It can be addicting! :)

Apr 10, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #108 of 289
For those who would like to hear the now-famous A/B demo of Danacable vs. stock cable, we will be at Booth 8316 in the EarGear Room at AXPONA this week. If you have been wondering about the buzz around the Lazuli Nirvana, here is your chance to hear it for yourself.
Then you can make up your own opinion instead of just reading about it. We will have the Nirvana on both the Hifiman and the Focal Utopia. Just a note of caution! It can be addicting! :)

Hearing is believing and back in 2015 (at RMAF), when I did the A-B comparison, I was shocked at the improvements with this awesome cable! I absolutely love my Utopia headphones with my Danacable!

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #109 of 289
Yep, a Danacable is basically a must-have for a good headphone. It has worked wonders for Audeze, Hifiman, and Focal (Utopia) in both balanced and SE versions. Right out of the box with no break-in, it's a big step up in refinement and fatigue-free listening.

(The Lazuli Ref. is what I like the best.)

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #110 of 289
Any more Nirvana owners? I’m tempted to buy a pair for my Utopias. I have Lazuli Reference and there was a very noticeable improvement from the stock cables. So, I got to thinking the Nirvanas probably make my Utopias sound even better. The $3500 price is high, and I could use that money to buy another pair of headphones (probably Meze Empyreans) or upgrade my Hugo 2 and LTA MZ2 setup with a Hugo TT2.

Anyway, does anybody have any experience with what I mentioned above?

May 10, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #112 of 289
Get the Empyrean. Much better way of spending the money. Best headphone I’ve ever listen to. Also why don’t you send your reference back and get it re-terminated for the Empyrean.
Ken, how did that cable open up for you on the Empy????

May 10, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #113 of 289
Hi Pete, I haven’t listened to it that much but have been running at 24/7. The bass improved quite a bit, and so far generally speaking the cable sounds good but I think it might be tipped a little bit too much in the highs for me. I’ll decide tomorrow morning as by that point I’ll have around 115 hours or so on it. Right now the vocals sound a little sharp for me. I like more of a dirty grungy sound than a real clean sound. I’ll let you know this weekend.

May 10, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #114 of 289
Hi Pete, I haven’t listened to it that much but have been running at 24/7. The bass improved quite a bit, and so far generally speaking the cable sounds good but I think it might be tipped a little bit too much in the highs for me. I’ll decide tomorrow morning as by that point I’ll have around 115 hours or so on it. Right now the vocals sound a little sharp for me. I like more of a dirty grungy sound than a real clean sound. I’ll let you know this weekend.
Sounds good, brother. I actually like that clean vocal sound. Once I finally decide If it's the Empy I'm buying I'm deft gonna invest in a cable. The loaner pair came with the Cardas clear cable but it doesn't work because of the stereo plug doesn't stay put in the DAC/amp. Something is wrong with it.

Jun 9, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #115 of 289
I may at some time spring for Nirvana to go with my Utopia (currently using Dana Lazuli Reference) but that's a big outlay as I already have a Nirvana (and an Ultra) for my 1266 Phi (CC'd). I spent the past week going round and round with my recently acquired PrimaLuna EVO 400's SE jack comparing the; stock cable, the Superconductor, the Lazuli Ultra and the Nirvana on my Phi. (Nirvana actually looks like it could be used as a speaker cable as well!). I got to evaluate the Nirvana back early in the year and did a review of it here;

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/da...ble-for-abyss-1266.23617/reviews#review-21702

Today I revisited my review from March 3 and my impressions haven't changed, if anything the strengths of the Nirvana have intensified in worth to me over the months. The last 2 days I compared the 4 cables on a 2009 remastering for CD of a 1965 recording of Mahler 7 by Bernstein and the NYPO originally on Columbia and currently on Sony. The remastering was done from the original tapes and the result is nothing short of miraculous. Two aspects that really cinched it for me was with Nirvana the extended highs are grain-less, no glare, no grit, and Mahler's symphonies in general will test high frequency smoothness as he writes so much in the highest reaches of each instruments range. Second, and for whatever reason, sounds come out of an inky black background with Nirvana the others didn't display, making complex lines in scoring by different instruments to be easily followed simultaneously and with a transparency unmatched by the others. My wallet wished it weren't so but...

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #116 of 289
I received the lazuli reference a few days ago.

Is there supposed to be some empty space within the sheath? As in when u pinch down on the cable, u can feel the core itself is not as big as you would think..

Also, the cable is pretty flexible and sometimes it kinks and twists quite easily. Will this "break/damage" the copper core?

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #117 of 289
That’s how the cable feels when you pinch it. It’s not a garden hose.

I wouldn’t call the cable supple as it does have the tendencies of what you said. I’m sure there’s no problems making the cable go how you want to go long as you don’t try to fold in half and squeeze it. :)

Jul 26, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #118 of 289
That’s how the cable feels when you pinch it. It’s not a garden hose.

I wouldn’t call the cable supple as it does have the tendencies of what you said. I’m sure there’s no problems making the cable go how you want to go long as you don’t try to fold in half and squeeze it. :)

Thanks man! Much appreciated.

On a side note.. I don't really like the look of carbon fiber.. So I asked Vinh if he had any alternatives to the cf splitter on his cables. Thankfully he had a simple black one!

The cable is really opening up now.. Copper really goes will with the Focal Utopia!

20190727_073600-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #119 of 289
Nov 18, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #120 of 289
Hifiman HE-1000 V.1 with V.2 pads for sale for $1399 plus shipping from 07727. Can also offer matching Lazuli cables with them if interested.
PM me if interested.
Vinh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back