Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 13, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #5,718 of 6,002
Ha if the rods are bent in the middle with chipped paint yes that's mine pair :) I bent them hard so the clamping force is very strong now, for bigger heads it culd be too big, but now bass is sooooo nice.
I was not aware of any pad revision, interesting. @mrspeakers any comment on that?

ps. I swtiched to the Expanse, but might end selling them because of other hobbies/things :wink:
I have no explanation for this, we NEVER shipped the pads without the suede. We had some test pads in that were all synthetic but those were never supposed to ship.

How/where was that set purchased? Send an email to us at info and let us know the details. We'll send you the correct pads.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 15, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #5,719 of 6,002
I love my Stealth and it's been getting more airtime since I have acquired portable sources that can drive it... initially Fiio M17 / DC Mode then Shanling M9 Plus and now Cayin limited anniversary edition N30 which brings tube goodness to the Stealth and is the best pairing for my taste with the most organic presentation of all sources I have owned in Tube - Classic Mode.

N30 drives the Stealth beautifully at volume 45-55/100 in high gain, P+ with Hyper Mode ON (mode with max current and voltage) and honestly it's hard to believe a portable source can drive it this well. I'll probably even won't use the iCAN Pro Signature (well I haven't yet tried N30 line out which is interesting as you can use Tube output with the LO). N30 "classic" tube mode is tubbier than the Pro iCAN tubes :heart_eyes:

What I love most is how powerful and textured bass are with the N30 and also how it adds a very organic touch to the Stealth :notes:
It's even better than Shanling M9 Plus in this respect :p

IMG_8717.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #5,720 of 6,002
I love my Stealth and it's been getting more airtime since I have acquired portable sources that can drive it... initially Fiio M17 / DC Mode then Shanling M9 Plus and now Cayin limited anniversary edition N30 which brings tube goodness to the Stealth and is the best pairing for my taste with the most organic presentation of all sources I have owned in Tube - Classic Mode.

N30 drives the Stealth beautifully at volume 45-55/100 in high gain, P+ with Hyper Mode ON (mode with max current and voltage) and honestly it's hard to believe a portable source can drive it this well. I'll probably even won't use the iCAN Pro Signature (well I haven't yet tried N30 line out which is interesting as you can use Tube output with the LO). N30 "classic" tube mode is tubbier than the Pro iCAN tubes :heart_eyes:

What I love most is how powerful and textured bass are with the N30 and also how it adds a very organic touch to the Stealth :notes:

IMG_8717.jpg
Great impressions.
If you find time please report how you find N7 LO into your Ican Pro vs N30 LO.
N7 LO into Topping A70pro (or Ferrum Oor) is my favorite pairing for Stealth currently for it's organic and effortless presentation and I prefer it even over my full size rig Ferrum-Holo which might have the edge in terms of resolution but is causing listening fatigue over time.

After my positive impressions of N7 as source for Overears (with external amping) I am wondering if N30 can be an N7 on steroids also for LO...
Btw is N30 doing DSD conversion and upsampling on the fly just like N7?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #5,721 of 6,002

IMG_8717.jpg
That is nice to hear! Honestly I didn't try it at CanJam after I saw the price and 780 mW @ 32 ohms but looks like Cayin implemented really good amplifier in there. Have you tried Wavelet and/or Poweramp EQ on it?

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #5,723 of 6,002
That is nice to hear! Honestly I didn't try it at CanJam after I saw the price and 780 mW @ 32 ohms but looks like Cayin implemented really good amplifier in there. Have you tried Wavelet and/or Poweramp EQ on it?
No I didn't try it, I typically don't run this kind of stuff :p

Well it might spec under M9 Plus but it's driving it just as good :thinking:

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #5,724 of 6,002
To know if power is sufficient, just try to listen at a "decent" sound pressure level "Cradle To The Grave" from Max Richter (Qobuz) and you will see between 55s to 1'05 if sound is clipping or not... in Class A & Tube mode.. As Cayin, them-self, are already telling that power of N30LE is far from C9 available power. C9 is already known to be far from M17 capabilities in DC enhanced audio mode.

Though the N30LE seems to be able to keep enough power at 16 ohm which is impressive, I still doubt that the DCA stealth won't clip.. and it should be worse with the terrific Heddphone One..

It's interesting to know the result, though I will never spend 14500€ for some very limited edition devices, even if it was with Sony..

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #5,725 of 6,002
To know if power is sufficient, just try to listen at a "decent" sound pressure level "Cradle To The Grave" from Max Richter (Qobuz) and you will see between 55s to 1'05 if sound is clipping or not... in Class A & Tube mode.. As Cayin, them-self, are already telling that power of N30LE is far from C9 available power. C9 is already known to be far from M17 capabilities in DC enhanced audio mode.

Though the N30LE seems to be able to keep enough power at 16 ohm which is impressive, I still doubt that the DCA stealth won't clip.. and it should be worse with the terrific Heddphone One..

It's interesting to know the result, though I will never spend 14500€ for some very limited edition devices, even if it was with Sony..
Interesting track... beautiful!
I had to push volume to 65/100... I didn't experience any clipping though :thinking: (Should I push the volume?). Note that I am using Hyper Mode...
Note that Cayin is using the same 470mF supercapacitor as M17 (at least same specs...).

I compared to M17 on battery and Shanling M9 Plus...
N30 is my favorite of the 3 i terms of rendering the dynamics of this track and by far...

12000€ is Amber Pearl IEM from Unique Melody bundle (I would NEVER spend that much), N30 LE is a little under 5000€ (which is the first time I am going up my 3K limit...)

I am ending up listening to the full "Hostiles" album and it's magnificent on N30 with Stealth :heart_eyes:
"Camanche Ambush" is spectacular... the build up and then the peak at 2:20 and onwards... now speak of a test that should reveal clipping :p
"Yellow Hawk's Warning" bass around 1:37 is breath taking, didn't know Stealth could render subs in such a visceral, engaging way!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #5,726 of 6,002
Just installed the clamp force kit, no instructions included but someone over in the Expanse provided screenshots. It's literally 5 minutes work and fully reversible, unless you don't have a magnetic screwdriver like me and then it's half an hour of fiddling haha.

The Stealth now has a healthy amount of clamp but certainly not too much. If you hear a bass increase when you press on the earcups I'd say don't hesitate to try the kit! :)

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #5,727 of 6,002
I have no explanation for this, we NEVER shipped the pads without the suede. We had some test pads in that were all synthetic but those were never supposed to ship.

How/where was that set purchased? Send an email to us at info and let us know the details. We'll send you the correct pads.
Hi Dan,

I appreciate your concern!
I've been in contact with info, I told them I honestly think it's simply pad wear since there's very faint traces of suede left and they agreed with me.
A few days ago the pads also started splitting near the seams so it's time for a replacement pair anyway.
Pads are not covered by the warranty so I'll be buying a new pair.
They were less than two years old, so I guess this is a reminder for everyone here to take good care of your pads!
I don't think I ever abused them but the previous owner did not include the 3D printed spacer/insert so maybe the lack of it put unusual amounts of constant pressure on them.

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #5,730 of 6,002
Just installed the clamp force kit, no instructions included but someone over in the Expanse provided screenshots. It's literally 5 minutes work and fully reversible, unless you don't have a magnetic screwdriver like me and then it's half an hour of fiddling haha.

The Stealth now has a healthy amount of clamp but certainly not too much. If you hear a bass increase when you press on the earcups I'd say don't hesitate to try the kit! :)
Should be part of the kit.
It makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back