Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 17, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #5,131 of 5,996
So I got my hands on these Stealth as I was interested in it as an office headphone since it is so hyped up.
What a total piece of trash. My ears touch the inside of this headphone like some cheap ass $300 Sony WH-1000XM5 bluetooth headphone. How is this even possible on a $4000 headphone? This is an automatic 1/10.
Now let’s go to the sound. It sounded great at first. Now I could somewhat relate to the hype. But when I grabbed my AFC 2 Noire as a comparison, I came back to earth. The Stealth basically could have been the new $999 AFC 3, as the Stealth simply sounds like an AFC 2 Noire that is tuned more neutral with a bigger soundstage.
I also had the new Focal Utopia 2022 with me, and the Stealth has the exact same weak ass dynamics like all AFC 1, 2 and Noire headphones. It again supports the case that the Stealth could have been released as the AFC 3 as the Stealth sounds like an AFC headphone.
If the cups were large enough so my ears don’t touch the inside of the headphone, maybe I could have considered spending $4000 on an AFC 3?? But with this huge flaw, not a chance.
Does all that mean you got big ears??
:ksc75smile:
And lots of money!

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #5,132 of 5,996
Does all that mean you got big ears??
:ksc75smile:
And lots of money!

My ears only touch the inside with the following headphones:
- Sony WH-1000XM1
- Sony WH-1000XM2
- Sony WH-1000XM3
- Sony WH-1000XM4
- Sony WH-1000XM5
- Sennheiser Momentum 4
- $4000 Stealth

The problem is not my ears, the problem is that the Stealth has the same design flaw as some cheap ass bluetooth headphones. The $4000 Stealth is not in good company.

This is totally embarrassing for a $4000 headphone. How did this $4000 headphone pass testing?

Even my cheap ass Apple AirPods Max provide enough room for my ears.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #5,134 of 5,996
I have the Sony wH-1000XM4, the AirPods Max, and the Stealth. My ears don’t touch in any of them. Maybe they used my ears to test them? 😉 You can borrow them if you want. I really haven’t heard a lot of complaints about peoples ears touching on the Stealth.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #5,135 of 5,996
My ears only touch the inside with the following headphones:
- Sony WH-1000XM1
- Sony WH-1000XM2
- Sony WH-1000XM3
- Sony WH-1000XM4
- Sony WH-1000XM5
- Sennheiser Momentum 4
- $4000 Stealth

The problem is not my ears, the problem is that the Stealth has the same design flaw as some cheap ass bluetooth headphones. The $4000 Stealth is not in good company.

This is totally embarrassing for a $4000 headphone. How did this $4000 headphone pass testing?

Even my cheap ass Apple AirPods Max provide enough room for my ears.
give it a rest already, the stealth is one of the most comfortable HP's in existence...you sound childish...just leave it at your ears or head shape dont work well with it and move on

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #5,136 of 5,996
give it a rest already, the stealth is one of the most comfortable HP's in existence...you sound childish...just leave it at your ears or head shape dont work well with it and move on
I wouldn't call it childish, and I don't have a stealth.
However I did have an Aeon2 before .
Though the sound was not for me and I sold them, the one thing that has stuck in my mind, is how comfy they were! that headband is fab.
I have a Hifiman now, DCA was more comfy! I have an Audeze coming, I doubt if it beats the comfort of DCA.

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #5,137 of 5,996
Kind of like a fat guy complaining that the Ferrari is a piece of trash because he can't get into the seat comfortably.

Sep 18, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #5,138 of 5,996
So I got my hands on these Stealth as I was interested in it as an office headphone since it is so hyped up.

What a total piece of trash. My ears touch the inside of this headphone like some cheap ass $300 Sony WH-1000XM5 bluetooth headphone. How is this even possible on a $4000 headphone? This is an automatic 1/10.

Now let’s go to the sound. It sounded great at first. Now I could somewhat relate to the hype. But when I grabbed my AFC 2 Noire as a comparison, I came back to earth. The Stealth basically could have been the new $999 AFC 3, as the Stealth simply sounds like an AFC 2 Noire that is tuned more neutral with a bigger soundstage.

I also had the new Focal Utopia 2022 with me, and the Stealth has the exact same weak ass dynamics like all AFC 1, 2 and Noire headphones. It again supports the case that the Stealth could have been released as the AFC 3 as the Stealth sounds like an AFC headphone.

If the cups were large enough so my ears don’t touch the inside of the headphone, maybe I could have considered spending $4000 on an AFC 3?? But with this huge flaw, not a chance.
I have what I would consider large ears and the Stealth was absolutely amazing in terms of comfort. My ears touch the inside of the 6x0 headphones, all the WHxxxx like yours and others but not the Stealth. Have you considered maybe you had them on wrong?

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #5,139 of 5,996
We just got one in, haven't listened yet. I did put it up on the AP 555 and was surprised to see how rolled off the highs were. Unusual... That said there's not much above 15K on most recordings but still it seems a departure from other Topping designs. Planned to give it a listen tonight...
I hope you'll praise it as it seems to be the best option, if it can provide the necessary power. Looking forward to hear your impressions!

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #5,140 of 5,996
Sep 19, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #5,142 of 5,996
Does anyone know how much burn in these need? I see Dan posted about the changes but I only ran them overnight when first got them. So maybe still only have 20 hours them.

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #5,143 of 5,996
Does anyone know how much burn in these need? I see Dan posted about the changes but I only ran them overnight when first got them. So maybe still only have 20 hours them.
Last item of "Product Care" of quick user guide:
20220919_192853.jpg

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #5,144 of 5,996
Last item of "Product Care" of quick user guide:
Darn, I probably should have read that first. I wasn’t sure how the cables attached. The Utopia use little red dots to line up. But someone said that was so confusing since both dots are red and thought it was for left and right at first. The other thing is I wasn’t sure which side was left and right. Does it say anywhere? I know the posts go in back and can read Expanse on the top that way. Also had a test track with left and right to make sure.

Anyway, time to start up again for. More burn in.

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #5,145 of 5,996
As people get more and more hyped about Expanse (for a good reason, though), I am back to Stealth enjoying the immensly detailed, deep bass, the excellent separation and clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back