Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 3, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #887 of 5,996
Look at their web-site. They worked on the R10 for years...

Regardless, I need a comparison of the two.

Don't kid yourself- the R10P is good. I have read the reviews and talked with people who have heard it. The main con described by most is the price- but I am looking to compare without looking at price...

Sep 3, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #888 of 5,996
The comparison I really want to hear is the Stealth vs the HE-R10P.

Both are new technology closed back. Both planners. Both about the same price after discounts, Both praised for superb detail, soundstage.
If one gets the DCA club discount, the Stealth is about $1k less than the lowest price I've seen on the R10P. Agree that it would be interesting to compare them, which I plan to do at CanJam in a few weeks. The R10P is much more efficient and has a wireless option, both of which potentially add value vs. the Stealth.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #889 of 5,996
Look at their web-site. They worked on the R10 for years...

Regardless, I need a comparison of the two.

Don't kid yourself- the R10P is good. I have read the reviews and talked with people who have heard it. The main con described by most is the price- but I am looking to compare without looking at price...
They worked on cloning the original Sony MDR-R10 cups... Nothing new about the technology.

Sep 3, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #890 of 5,996
They worked on cloning the original Sony MDR-R10 cups... Nothing new about the technology.
Really?! So it is all about the cups? Completely different dynamic vs planar drivers are just nothing?

The problem with R10 is not that it is a clone look, it is the headband design that is a century old. I sold my Solitaire P mainly because of the similar hard headband design. They don't sit properly on my head and press on the top sides, middle not touching the head. This is a fail in these times of TOTL HP development.

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #891 of 5,996
If one gets the DCA club discount, the Stealth is about $1k less than the lowest price I've seen on the R10P. Agree that it would be interesting to compare them, which I plan to do at CanJam in a few weeks. The R10P is much more efficient and has a wireless option, both of which potentially add value vs. the Stealth.
I've been offered a R10P brand new for much less than you think possible. They just don't sell so retailers discount them. Trust me- the price of these two headphones is about the same.....

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #892 of 5,996
Really?! So it is all about the cups? Completely different dynamic vs planar drivers are just nothing?

The problem with R10 is not that it is a clone look, it is the headband design that is a century old. I sold my Solitaire P mainly because of the similar hard headband design. They don't sit properly on my head and press on the top sides, middle not touching the head. This is a fail in these times of TOTL HP development.
We're talking about "innovation" that Hifiman apparently has done with the R10P. Cloning the cups of the venerable R10 and just putting up a planar driver from a planar company is not an innovation. On the surface, it actually seems more like a cash grab capturing the attention by using a legendary name and design of a headphone that had inventiveness plastered all over it (from the bio cellulose driver to the 3d printed cups back in 1989!).

Take a look at Stealth, this is what I actually call innovation.

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #893 of 5,996
just putting up a planar driver from a planar company is not an innovation.
What is your experience on planar driver development to be able to able to call it "just another planar driver", "nothing new about the technology"? Innovation is something else, yes, but many think that the drivers are nearly Susvara level but are so efficient that they can be driven from a BT dongle. Apparently they have done something new, but going for a R10 clone frame was a questionable decision.

Everything I want to hear about a TOTL HP other than the sound is here: Superb frame design, comfort, case and vegan...

1630651071792.png

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #894 of 5,996
Everything I want to hear about a TOTL HP other than the sound is here: Superb frame design, comfort, case and vegan...

1630651071792.png
In case you are not being sarcastic, you might want to inquire about the headband, too. This might still be accurate:
Dan Clark Audio: support was super quick and responsive, but unfortunately transparent in their units being pre-assembled in China and not accommodating custom orders (e.g. alcantara headband and earpads)

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #895 of 5,996
In case you are not being sarcastic, you might want to inquire about the headband, too. This might still be accurate:
Not sarcastic at all, I value that very much. Especially for the cups. Anyway, I already paid and ordered a pair. So no reason for me to mock the Stealth.

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #897 of 5,996
HE-R10D/P Is a bad joke in every way. Basically a stunt to test just how foolish the depth of the market really is.
Except, despite the community disliking HiFiMan's disregard with cloning the original R10, it does sound excellent.

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #898 of 5,996
I do not understand why the HE-R10 is looked at as a joke.

Again, multiple reviews place it at very near to Susvara levels technically in a closed back and superior to Susvara in bass, impact, musicality, richness of tone. Price is not much more than the stealth. It can be driven with very little power.

Does not seem like a joke to me.

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #900 of 5,996
I don't even get the cloning issue. The Sony R10 was the King of headphones in it's days and to this day remembered as one of the greatest headphones in history. Why not copy it? I think it is smart. The mistake perhaps is they should of made an EXACT copy both physically and sonically as the Sony patent expired.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back