Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #601 of 5,996
That's why I think it's very important to explain loosely used, and mostly made up audiophile jargon to minimize confusion. Like “dynamic contrast”. To this day, I have absolutely no idea what it implies.
Same. Lol. I just understand what sounds good to my ears, and what's mediocre.

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #602 of 5,996
We know what dynamic range is within music, so I always assumed dynamics were in reference to hearing loud and quiet passages.

I just got an Arya and was surprised how punchy it is, which I was not expecting. I would not of called my lcd2c punchy though, when I owned it. Nor my diana v2.

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #603 of 5,996
"Almost all planars have more speed and faster transients than dynamic drivers due to their technology. Something like the HEK V1/V2/SE also have nano thin drivers so they can stop and start extremely fast...and yet none of them are very punchy at all."

I was talking about the HEK series, you know where I listed them right before that comment...

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #604 of 5,996
"Almost all planars have more speed and faster transients than dynamic drivers due to their technology. Something like the HEK V1/V2/SE also have nano thin drivers so they can stop and start extremely fast...and yet none of them are very punchy at all."

I was talking about the HEK series, you know where I listed them right before that comment...

OK, fair enough. I read it as an example of the statement in the first sentence. Let's get back to the Stealth...

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #606 of 5,996
Aug 26, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #607 of 5,996
I'm not being disingenuous. I do not believe there is some unmeasurable magical quality called macro-dynamics. I strongly doubt that experts like Toole or Olive believe that either, but please prove me wrong.

Interesting that one reviewer says the Stealth has "no macro-dynamics" and another says they have "exceptional dynamics." Which is correct? If we can't measure it and can't define it... And we really can't define it. I see three definitions above and on other audiophile sites it is described as "the ability to play loud without distortion and compression" which most high-end headphones can do, including all DCA models.

I believe that the vast majority of these types of criticisms of DCA phones like the Ether 2 are related to frequency response, as I said. When I EQ the Ether 2 (it takes EQ really well), the issue of it sounding a bit "lifeless" goes away.

(Sorry for all the edits.)
I totally agree about DCA headphones being able to EQ really well. I have the Aeon RT Closed and the Ether 2. Whenever I want a little more punch in the low end I switch on the Loki and you can tweak until you're content. I also found that switching out the tubes on my Liquid Platinum really helped the Ether out.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #608 of 5,996
I have a question for Dan Clark:

Every headphone I have ever owned, from the darkest to the brightest, I always prefer silver over copper or silver plated copper cable. Silver to my ears is both clearer and fuller than copper or silver plated copper in my experience.

Did you choose the cable you use because you think it is a "reference match" with the Stealth, or to balance cost vs performance considerations?

I ask because, If I need to get an OCC silver cable, I will be out another $300 to "Ted Allen headphone lounge" and I want to take this into consideration.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #609 of 5,996
I have a question for Dan Clark:

Every headphone I have ever owned, from the darkest to the brightest, I always prefer silver over copper or silver plated copper cable. Silver to my ears is both clearer and fuller than copper or silver plated copper in my experience.

Did you choose the cable you use because you think it is a "reference match" with the Stealth, or to balance cost vs performance considerations?

I ask because, If I need to get an OCC silver cable, I will be out another $300 to "Ted Allen headphone lounge" and I want to take this into consideration.

Thanks in advance.
The VIVO cable is silver on copper and is a low inductance and low capacitance design, with low microphonics. I would suggest you start with that before looking at anything else, it’s a nice cable and very reliable.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 26, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #610 of 5,996
They called the headphones Stealth, but I don’t think an anti-vampire strangling feature is needed.
I think a cable with low Impendace with practical and aesthetically pleasing quality materials is great.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #612 of 5,996
10936635.jpg

I like Black and Red. My rig from nine years ago.

Aug 26, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #614 of 5,996
That was an excellent amp. I had one of the first built. Alex Cavalli was a super nice guy. He also let me test three other amps of his pre-release after this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back