Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #556 of 5,996
First impressions. I think he likes it………. a lot. :wink:

The reviewer seems VERY confused......... My interpretation of his reaction is he seems shocked as it is different than anything else he has heard and very different than what he expected, but NOT necessarily a shock that is completely in the positive direction (although obviously at least partially positive) "Confused" is definitely the word I would use.

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #557 of 5,996
One thing important to mention is that recommended retail price is not the REAL price. Susvara is not a $6,000 headphone, nor is Abyss $4.500. Lets all just stop this baloney because it isn't so.

Point being that at the end of the day- the Stealth, TC, and Susvara are in a VERY similar price range- if you shop right.

So- comparisons based on price performance are not of value as the price is close enough to not make a difference.

Performance, comfort, reliability, open vs closed, etc. need to be compared.
I frankly don’t understand this kind of kooky backroom price negotiation... That’s one reason I like Schiit, there’s none of that crap… when I’m ready to buy something, I put it in the dang cart and complete the purchase … I don‘t like haggling, it feels icky to me.

I didn’t say that. But I have heard both Aeon2 CB (picked CB) and open and I feel like DCA domain is well executed closed back design. I could be wrong tho.
Agreed, except for a lifetime ago Tyll gushing over the Aeon Flow Open (1st gen), there doesn’t seem to be a thriving Aeon open following, and Ether open cans also seem to have only a small following. DCA seems to have more followers of their closed cans. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 25, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #558 of 5,996
I see people are still trying to figure out loopholes. Don't. If you return a headphone you're not in the club. And we check the dealer receipts that the dealer didn't get a return.

I had that sort of behavior, breaking a nice policy for everyone by having a one time benefit for only yourself.

On a different note, shouldn't you consider to change your profile pic Dan?

Aug 25, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #559 of 5,996
Can't choose the cable in the versions available in stock in European shops? What is the default termination (and lenght)?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #560 of 5,996
This connector has been stunningly reliable, we have had maybe one failure not related to abuse like rolling over the cable with a chair, and that's in 9 years. Given the performance levels we can measure and the incredible reliability we have experienced I have zero interest in exploring other connectors, tbh...

Since we are on the subject of connectors, my current plan is to take care of the cable-side first since it can turn out to be a 1 year process.

So I'm at a crossroads right now whether to stick with CIEMs or to pursue this exciting well-engineered DCA product.

From my readings, the connector sold on the DCA website is a clone, not an official Hirose brand.

I'm barely learning now that S=Socket and P=Pin in pursuit of these connectors.

Can you confirm that this genuine Hirose connector will work (HR10A-7P-4P(73)):

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hirose-Connector/HR10A-7P-4P73

I only like to use genuine parts on my cables, not AliExpress parts. Although it may not matter if the socket in not a genuine Hirose socket.

Especially for something like the Stealth, I don't want to cut corners. For Fostex, clones were fine.

Thxs.

EDIT: Nevermind, just going to stay in my comfort zone with CIEMs. HPs are too foreign territory, but the Stealth is pure temptation. Good luck with the Stealth, look forward to future products. If we end up at Legoland, will try to make a pit stop @ DCA.

UWOTM888 has left the chat...

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #561 of 5,996
I only like to use genuine parts on my cables, not AliExpress parts. Although it may not matter if the socket in not a genuine Hirose socket.
A while ago I thought I might make my own cables, so I got some plugs from DCA directly.

They came in handy when my Lavricables cable broke, which had some knock-off connectors that were difficult to connect and disconnect. I sent the cable back along with the proper plugs, and got a better cable back.

In short even if DCA doesn't use original Hirose connectors, it still matters which ones you use.

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #562 of 5,996
A while ago I thought I might make my own cables, so I got some plugs from DCA directly.

They came in handy when my Lavricables cable broke, which had some knock-off connectors that were difficult to connect and disconnect. I sent the cable back along with the proper plugs, and got a better cable back.

In short even if DCA doesn't use original Hirose connectors, it still matters which ones you use.

I don't mind taking risk and making my own cables, but when it comes to premium pricey cables that have to be shipped internationally and then backlogged for a year I don't want to take any risks. So having coin locked up for a year the price just a bit under a stealth carries too much risk if the connector is an unknown. With CIEM, there's no risk. I'm also using ConX which you can swap 2-pin, IPX, MMCX, etc. They also have a connector (A2D?) to swap which allows the use with Audio Technica HPs. Just hope one day they release an Hirose screw-in so I can swap.

Black Series.png

I run exclusively RCA OUT on CIEM, so WBT RCA on the other end:

WBT-0152Cu_01.jpg

I was hoping to do the same on the HP side. Works well with Chord DACs since you are basically listening straight of out of the DAC with no traditional amp stage to bottleneck.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #563 of 5,996
If your comparing closed back to closed back- than the comparison to TC or Susvara is unfair and wrong. Obviously if you need a closed back- the TC and Susvara do not meet the requirements so they cant be in comparison.
If your comparing over ear to over ear the comparison is fair.
If your comparing price performance ratio, it depends on what you pay for all three headphones. I believe the (real) prices of all three are very very similar, so I find this a fair comparison in this category.
Objectively the Stealth surpasses the TC by very far. But placebo seems to be the best sauce.

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #564 of 5,996
I don't mind taking risk and making my own cables, but when it comes to premium pricey cables that have to be shipped internationally and then backlogged for a year I don't want to take any risks. So having coin locked up for a year the price just a bit under a stealth carries too much risk if the connector is an unknown. With CIEM, there's no risk. I'm also using ConX which you can swap 2-pin, IPX, MMCX, etc. They also have a connector (A2D?) to swap which allows the use with Audio Technica HPs. Just hope one day they release an Hirose screw-in so I can swap.

Black Series.png

I run exclusively RCA OUT on CIEM, so WBT RCA on the other end:

WBT-0152Cu_01.jpg

I was hoping to do the same on the HP side. Works well with Chord DACs since you are basically listening straight of out of the DAC with no traditional amp stage to bottleneck.
I think you'd be jumping the gun a bit. Why not buy the headphones with a cable that works (can't order it without a cable anyway) and see whether you like it at all? Let's say you find it uncomfortable, then a cable won't fix that anyway. And Dan put a lot of effort into his cables, it's not like some $5 TRS cable carelessly thrown into the box.
Though admittedly I prefer the DUM cable on my Ether (C) Flow and the VIVO's chunky Y splitter tended to snag on the desk when I last tried it.

Wondering how SilverFi compares to Lavricables, both use multi stranded pure silver but the latter is vastly less expensive (never heard of SilverFi before you posted that price list snippet).

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #565 of 5,996
So the Stealth has its own connector (just like other DCA)

I had the first impression of it being Mini XLR.

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #566 of 5,996
You see Andrew write that basically stealth has no macrodynamics like other DC stuff? Sad :frowning2:

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #567 of 5,996
You see Andrew write that basically stealth has no macrodynamics like other DC stuff? Sad :frowning2:
That could be an issue if his perception is correct.

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #569 of 5,996
I missed the first batch!

I don't know what people are going about DCA cans not having Macro this or micro that. I've got the Noires and they sound fantastic! I'm listening to them the most out of my whole collection as they pair extremely well with the iBasso DX300.

If the Stealth is a super A2C, then I'm in for a treat.

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #570 of 5,996
What in the world are macro-dynamics? I must not be understanding something here.
Pete....I've always just used the origin of the two words myself.

Micro = small (the ability to resolve small voltage and ultimately volume swings)
Macro = large (the ability to resolve large voltage and volume swings)

I really think of it all as just dynamics in general. Dynamics as in how the volume of sound changes over a certain length of time.....and how it is portrayed by the component in question. If a specific component is particularly adept at this, it helps to give one the illusion of listening to the real thing. The antithesis of dynamics (both micro and micro), would be compression...which I'm sure we've all heard in various components from time to time.

My $.02

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back