Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #481 of 5,996
"Detail - good but not like… Abyss or Susvara level....This is basically a super A2C Noire. Or… kind of like a closed-back Arya with a bass boost"

Yup, I'm gonna stick with my Rognir.
Closed back Arya with bass boost sounds pretty good to me.

Unfortunately I won't be able to audition them any time soon.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #482 of 5,996
On the note of detail/resolve and such, they can be perceived as being less potent due to the bass boost, even with all other factors identical
Tuning looks good to me. But if it can't be backed-up with outstanding - genuinely TOTL - technicalities, then the asking price can't be justified.

Closed back Arya with bass boost sounds pretty good to me.

Unfortunately I won't be able to audition them any time soon.
Well, not sure where you are in Germany, but they're incoming for demo in Vienna.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #484 of 5,996
some of the info that resolve put out last night just doesn't seem right.... from the measurements it shows strong bass, but, and I quote.. " headphone is highly dependent on seal, and if you want any bass response whatsoever, you have to ensure you’re getting the right fit "

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #485 of 5,996
For the detail / resolution, it would be interesting to know how it compares to other TOTL closed backs. Like Jude said, the distance between TOTL closed backs and open backs can only be halved but never quite catch up. Resolve didn't mention Stellia / VC I don't think.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #486 of 5,996
some of the info that resolve put out last night just doesn't seem right.... from the measurements it shows strong bass, but, and I quote.. " headphone is highly dependent on seal, and if you want any bass response whatsoever, you have to ensure you’re getting the right fit "
Well, I assume his measurements are based on a "correct" seal, but this correct seal is subject to modification if, for example, you're wearing glasses. Same with ZMF and so many others.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #487 of 5,996
you have to wonder if your going to bring out a new headphone that you put out several pair and let the testers test and reply on how they feel about the headphones and then once you get the results you now know how to price your headphone.... did it perform to the level of other $4K headphones or the level of $1500 headphones.... might end up with some disappointed headphone buyers if your not careful how they are perceived... when the comparison is to a " a closed-back Arya with a bass boost " or a " a super A2C Noire " things are going to get strange as they sold out before the majority of reviews have come out... so far we got one guy saying they are game changers and another who doesn't seem that impressed...

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #488 of 5,996
Agreed. The R10 reviews are good, but not great, and everyone who has compared to the Susvara says the R10 lags behind it.

I need Susvara and TC level performance, or I'm not in. I am not willing to compromise a for closed back design. If I can get closed and equal performance, then I'm in...
I think the best closed back is the Rognir, it encompasses a slight v-shape response and carries a distinctive forward dynamism with a really wonderfully neutral midrange presence and smooth treble extension. In all, it reminds me quite a lot of the TC and it'd happily serve as a TC replacement given an ultimatum and if some isolation was required. It, however, leaks sound like a sieve.

The Stealth was served up in a mostly objective manner that was enticing enough to compel my interest. I anticipate supreme balance and no WOW.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #489 of 5,996
For the detail / resolution, it would be interesting to know how it compares to other TOTL closed backs. Like Jude said, the distance between TOTL closed backs and open backs can only be halved but never quite catch up. Resolve didn't mention Stellia / VC I don't think.
Yes contenders are ZMF VC, Stellia and Rognir and for 4k the Stealth better be much better than these. Comparison to Susvara is not really relevant.

you have to wonder if your going to bring out a new headphone that you put out several pair and let the testers test and reply on how they feel about the headphones and then once you get the results you now know how to price your headphone.... did it perform to the level of other $4K headphones or the level of $1500 headphones.... might end up with some disappointed headphone buyers if your not careful how they are perceived... when the comparison is to a " a closed-back Arya with a bass boost " or a " a super A2C Noire " things are going to get strange as they sold out before the majority of reviews have come out... so far we got one guy saying they are game changers and another who doesn't seem that impressed...
At least two, Amir from ASR was also very, very impressed.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #490 of 5,996
Tuning looks good to me. But if it can't be backed-up with outstanding - genuinely TOTL - technicalities, then the asking price can't be justified.
Oh you misunderstand me haha! The tuning appears to fit my preferences too, my comment was an attempt to potentially explain why people perceive other TOTL headphones to be more detailed despite this headphone's flawless performance as far as measurements are concerned. Apart from increased bass, its treble is not overly boosted or peaky and its driver doesn't ring excessively, all of which can give false impressions of detail as well

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #492 of 5,996
The negatives may also be an overreaction. Lets be careful.

At minimum, the Stealth seems to have the most favorable frequency response of any headphone yet. Maybe that is worth it for a small drop in detail retrieval???

More info. needed........ I in theory would accept a 5% drop in detail from a Susvara for a noticeably better frequency response....

That to me is theoretically a very fair tradeoff. Of course, we are still in the conjecture stage.....

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #494 of 5,996
Everything needs to be a Susvara/TC/SR009XYZ killer now or it's a bust. No space for anything else. Some minds in here are more closed-in than the ATH-M50x.

Less doooooom please, relax and wait for user impressions and comparisons if you mildly care about how this headphone performs. No offense to Resolve, it's not his fault that people are so dependant on the opinion of "authorities" or "official" reviewers. His opinion is important to many though and I love reading his reviews. Thus the link.

I am expecting superb balance, tone and articulation from MrSpeakers and hope to compare it with the R10P and maybe even Rognir IF a loaner is possible. Will I buy it? No. Am I still curious to hear it? Absolutely.

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #495 of 5,996
Will these change after more burn-in. Because that headphone that resolve tested was received yesterday. Or was it burned In all the way?
most likely the burn-in of the listener ears will need to be taken in consideration too... that could take some time vs the first listen

Some minds in here are more closed-in than the ATH-M50x.
actually I like the way the ATH-M50s/LE sound... hard to beat at ~ $150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back