Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 5, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #977 of 5,996
I got to hear this interesting headphone today. These are my initial impressions. The upper half of the FR is done quite well. Amazing resolution is evident from the upper midrange to treble. There are so much detail and textures you get from hear easily from instruments this region. So quick. The quiet spaces of songs were a little eerie as instruments pierce in from straight blackness of the background. It being closed back definitely emphasizes this characteristic. Each instrument line is well separated and easy to follow. Macrodynamics particularly in the lower region aren't going to steal the show. Compared to the other two headphones I had for comparison, the VO and Elite, it had the weakest bottom end. Speed is there, but weight is an after-thought. But I feel it's made up for with its excellent imaging capabilities and soundstage, which to me throws images just past the ear cups and even above the headband. On a SPL DAC to GSX-Mini, this headphone was slightly lacking in vocal "body" compared to the other headphones, which seemed fuller. It's timbre seemed a little plastic-y because of that, however on a TT2/M-Scaler stack, I didn't feel the timbre was lacking. For comfort, I felt this headphone was comparable to the Elite, but I think the Stealth edges it out with its perceptually lighter weight and smaller profile. This may depend on your head size. Mine happens to be of the larger, egg-shaped persuasion.

Personally, I think for everything you get in this headphone, it's worth the price of entry.
This headphone will send most other TOTL headphones back to primary school, or at least the drawing board. This sounds like audio science and engineering done right, not just "oh, well, this sounds good to _my_ ears".

Sep 5, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #978 of 5,996
I got to hear this interesting headphone today. These are my initial impressions. The upper half of the FR is done quite well. Amazing resolution is evident from the upper midrange to treble. There are so much detail and textures you get from hear easily from instruments this region. So quick. The quiet spaces of songs were a little eerie as instruments pierce in from straight blackness of the background. It being closed back definitely emphasizes this characteristic. Each instrument line is well separated and easy to follow. Macrodynamics particularly in the lower region aren't going to steal the show. Compared to the other two headphones I had for comparison, the VO and Elite, it had the weakest bottom end. Speed is there, but weight is an after-thought. But I feel it's made up for with its excellent imaging capabilities and soundstage, which to me throws images just past the ear cups and even above the headband. On a SPL DAC to GSX-Mini, this headphone was slightly lacking in vocal "body" compared to the other headphones, which seemed fuller. It's timbre seemed a little plastic-y because of that, however on a TT2/M-Scaler stack, I didn't feel the timbre was lacking. For comfort, I felt this headphone was comparable to the Elite, but I think the Stealth edges it out with its perceptually lighter weight and smaller profile. This may depend on your head size. Mine happens to be of the larger, egg-shaped persuasion.

Personally, I think for everything you get in this headphone, it's worth the price of entry.
Very informative. Do you remember the VO pads? Universe (thicker and "bassier") or Vérité / BE?

Sep 5, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #980 of 5,996
This headphone will send most other TOTL headphones back to primary school, or at least the drawing board. This sounds like audio science and engineering done right, not just "oh, well, this sounds good to _my_ ears".
My purchase depends on your impressions, it's either this or Rognir and also you had 9200 which I currently own! Eagerly waiting!!

Sep 5, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #981 of 5,996
After going back and forth, I decided to place an order via DCA for their club members offer. I love my Noires and couldn't resist these long enough. :o2smile:

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #983 of 5,996
I would love to hear comparisons of Stealth vs speakers.

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #985 of 5,996
Sep 5, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #986 of 5,996
DCA Stealth vs. Kennerton Rognir - will someone think of the children and get these two HP's to compare side by side before Canjam? lol
Amir has had my Rognir for a couple of weeks now, and he already tested DCA. Hoping for an article soon, and even if this won’t address a side-by-side comparison, we’ll at least see how they’re different on measurements.

Sep 5, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #987 of 5,996
Well, I'm going to have to guess not Wednesday delivery for me but Thursday.........Friday? Bummer

Sep 5, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #988 of 5,996
I would love to hear comparisons of Stealth vs speakers.
Unless you get really expensive speakers there is no point. And that's for any high-end headphone. The only system I heard personally that came close was around $100,000

Sep 5, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #989 of 5,996
Unless you get really expensive speakers there is no point. And that's for any high-end headphone. The only system I heard personally that came close was around $100,000
My point was (in sarcastic way), only comparison to other closed back headphones acctully makes sense. I don't see a value in comparison against open backs, or even more ludicrous idea....., speakers. I think we all realize how difficult it is to cone up with "good sounding" closed back headphones. With that in mind, just looking at FR graph, impressive imagining and soundstage, these HP achieved "summit" status in closed back world of headphones.

Sep 5, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #990 of 5,996
The Sony R-10 is the most musical headphone I ever heard in my life (nothing even close) even though it technically may lag behind todays offerings and it was closed back.

So- perhaps- a technically superior headphone in closed back over a flagship open back has not yet been created and may never be, but a more musical one has- a long time ago in the 1980's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back